Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 08:17 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,636,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twist4phish View Post
I have to say I used to be one of the negative people in toledo. I was born and raised there and haden't been many other places besides it and thought that there must be something better out there. I moved to Texas for a few years, traveled quite a bit all around the u.s., and was so happy to get away from toledo. Then I moved to pittsburgh, so happy to get away from hot, humid, nothing going on, texas. Now after living in pittsburgh,pa for a bit I can't wait to move back to toledo in a month!!!!!!!!!!!! I can honestly say after travelling around a lot I miss toledo sooo much. there just aren't cities out there like it! The south is so hot, and i love the four seasons and have missed them so much. In texas, the only hospitality i've seen is if you're from the town and were born there. If you're even look a little outside the norm they are so rude to you! I had such a rough time there and guess what the main topic of my convo's there was... how amazing toledo is! When i moved to pittsburgh it was nice, but too big city and still not as friendly as toledo. I have to say i just dont feel safe in pittsburgh. It's a pretty violent place. I miss the realness of the people of toledo, the originality of style and culture mixed, the niceness, even by gas station attendants and drive thru workers, everyone is so nice(there are bad people everywhere but the pop. of mean people versus nice in toledo, i feel, is so small) the parks are soooooo amazing!!!!!! i love crosby gardens, mary jane thurston (20 minutes out of waterville in grand rapids, most beautiful drive ever!) has a dam and this beautiful walk through the forest, wildwood(love the boardwalk!) maumee bay state park is so amazing! and crane creek!!!! I love the resteraunts as well, my parents own a resteraunt in waterville called koral hamburg(have for 10 years) which i love, and vito's is a great new pizza place, tony packos, there's also a new pizza place near fifth third field that serves chicago deep dish pizza, the chilli cook off's are great! now here's a biiiiiig plus i think toledo has that many other cities cant beat... THE LIVING COST IS SO CHEAP! compared the other cities i've lived in toledo rent is so cheap and for a city this awesome, it just makes it better. I've ranted quite a bit but I still think there could be more said about toledo. its just an amazing place.

Good luck on the move back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 03:00 PM

374 posts, read 1,124,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
Having lived away from the Toledo area for 25 years now, I am not in tune to what has been going on there, except through relatives and friends who still live there and what I read on here. I hear that the local government is corrupt and has helped to run the local economy into the ground (again, this is heresay for me), that there are very few jobs, and that housing prices are at an all-time low. Getting those negative facts out of the way, can the locals make some positive comments about what keeps you there and what might draw others there? There are people who read these boards who are honestly trying to decide where to make their home next and by maybe drawing more people into the area, it might actually help to build Toledo up again. Hey, it's worth a try!

I'll start:

The Toledo Museum of Art is one of the best art museums I have ever visited...and I have been to many in different states and in 6 different countries.

The Toledo area has a large variety of festivals, celebrating different heritages - a great way to learn about other cultures!

I definitely understand you wanting to see more positive comments about Toledo, but to me if someone is looking to relocate ANYWHERE, they should get a full glimpse of what is taking place in that city. I've lived in different areas of the country, but most of my life has been in Toledo. And in previous post I've seen numerous negative comments about Toledo including my own comments. However, one living in Toledo right now can't help, but notice all the negative situations taking place right now, we're being bombarded with all the negative on the local news everyday, especially being that whats taking place right now could change Toledo's image for the next 10 years, but what I can say right now taking place positively is the growth in solar energy. Toledo has two companies right now and a third in development in the Toledo metro area. The could help regain Toledo's image in the future.

Old 04-26-2009, 01:21 PM

42 posts, read 104,014 times
ANYONE FROM THE NORTHWEST OHIO AREA THAT HUNTS FOR MOREL MUSHROOMS ? If so have you found them yet?

Old 04-26-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastonestanding View Post
I definitely understand you wanting to see more positive comments about Toledo, but to me if someone is looking to relocate ANYWHERE, they should get a full glimpse of what is taking place in that city. I've lived in different areas of the country, but most of my life has been in Toledo. And in previous post I've seen numerous negative comments about Toledo including my own comments. However, one living in Toledo right now can't help, but notice all the negative situations taking place right now, we're being bombarded with all the negative on the local news everyday, especially being that whats taking place right now could change Toledo's image for the next 10 years, but what I can say right now taking place positively is the growth in solar energy. Toledo has two companies right now and a third in development in the Toledo metro area. The could help regain Toledo's image in the future.

News media brings out the negative in EACH area around the country no matter where you go. As bad as it sounds, Americans feed off of bad news and the media loves to get it. No spot in this country is doing great, and the good thing is, Toledo's future looks very good. Another good thing is, Toledo never went through the boom/bust period like many places down south and out west did.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,127 times
Default I remember Henry's

I too grew up in Waterville and visited Henrys many times. In fact Mike, who was Henry son worked with my father's company in Florida till his death a few years back. I moved back to the area three years ago and love being "HOME"

Old 04-27-2009, 06:45 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,767,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaysandy View Post
I too grew up in Waterville and visited Henrys many times. In fact Mike, who was Henry son worked with my father's company in Florida till his death a few years back. I moved back to the area three years ago and love being "HOME"
Hi Neighbor!
We may have even sat by each other having a cheeseburger and milkshake on one of the swivel stools! Small world....made even smaller via internet!
Remember the BIG EVENT of the year: the Waterville Festival behind the fire station and the parade?? We would be up there from noon till dinner time with friends, then go back up at night with the family. Loved the fireman's chicken barbeque! Then, of course, sneaking into the beer tent as teenagers. LOL Now, Roche De Beufe Day has replaced the festival as "THE EVENT OF THE YEAR" I guess. I went to those too, until I moved down here in 1985. Yes, I miss the good old days!!!

Old 04-29-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaysandy View Post

Glad to have you back!

Old 04-29-2009, 07:09 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,315,434 times
The local news media in Toledo, with the local newspaper being, by far, the worst offender, do nothing but run Toledo down and make the local leaders look even more inept than they really are. Up until a few weeks ago, we subscribed to the local paper and watched the local news every evening. Try that and tell me how good you could feel about anything here! Someone told me that the family that owns the local paper also owns the Pittsburgh paper and they all live in Pittsburgh and secretly mock Toledo and hate the place with a passion. True? Who can say, but I will say that if you read their paper for more than two days, it certainly seems like they are anything but boosters for Toledo and the surrounding area. Since we stopped getting the paper and watching the news regularly (combined with the arrival of spring, green grass, and leaves on the trees...FINALLY), I feel so much happier and content living in the Toledo area. It really is a friendly, inexpensive place to live.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:19 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,767,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
The local news media in Toledo, with the local newspaper being, by far, the worst offender, do nothing but run Toledo down and make the local leaders look even more inept than they really are. Up until a few weeks ago, we subscribed to the local paper and watched the local news every evening. Try that and tell me how good you could feel about anything here! Someone told me that the family that owns the local paper also owns the Pittsburgh paper and they all live in Pittsburgh and secretly mock Toledo and hate the place with a passion. True? Who can say, but I will say that if you read their paper for more than two days, it certainly seems like they are anything but boosters for Toledo and the surrounding area. Since we stopped getting the paper and watching the news regularly (combined with the arrival of spring, green grass, and leaves on the trees...FINALLY), I feel so much happier and content living in the Toledo area. It really is a friendly, inexpensive place to live.
I have been ignoring the media more and more in the past few years...somehow they have gotten a foothold in political decisions, economics, and now, lately, even the health field. By sensationalizing the "Swine Flu" virus, they are selling papers and boosting ratings and at the same time instigating mass hysteria! To think I once was a journalism major , which used to be a respected and reputable profession...now it's a joke! They have WAY TOO MUCH influence and power in this country now....the media can now make or break a place, person, or company.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:27 AM

3,977 posts, read 3,663,162 times
I believe that too. You can see who they are for come voting time, easily. That's why a lot of people do not watch the Tv.. I can understand them, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo