Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 01:32 PM

892 posts, read 2,392,936 times

Advertisements

Greetings! My wife and I are considering the possibility of living and working in Toronto someday, and would like to make an exploratory visit over a weekend in late July or early August (if some opportunities we're researching pan out we'd definitely make additional, longer trips in the future, just consider this one "hasty advance recon"). If it helps to know, if we did move we'd be based mostly around the University of Toronto area.

We would love to hear what locals have to say about essential Toronto experiences to have on a summer weekend, foods one absolutely has to try, views one has to see, places one has to visit, these sorts of things. We're not as interested in "touristy" stuff like the CN Tower but more intrigued by what people who live in the area love to do (for example, we'll be driving our car up from Pittsburgh but intend to park at a hotel and use public transit as much as possible while in town). We love parks, libraries, museums, all kinds of food, we're fans of microbrews, we love film and music, but we're not so much into "nightlife" like dance clubs and stuff.

We're interested in cheap, basic places to stay with proximity to downtown. We don't need anything fancy as we plan to spend very little time sleeping! So far I've located The Downtowner Inn and a couple of hostels, more suggestions would be very appreciated (our needs are simply a room, Internet access, and someplace to park a compact car).

Thanks very much in advance for your thoughts and advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 03:11 PM

429 posts, read 719,651 times
Default What a wonderful city!

My son and his wife live in Toronto and my family is from Pennsylvania, so written as an outsider (Not a native of Toronto) here are my suggestions:

-First thing, get a 3-day ticket for the hop-on hop-off bus (torontotours.net). For $37.64 you can ride the loop and hear about the different neighborhoods, history, food suggestions, funny stories.. It's great. then stay on the bus to go back to whatever sounds/looks good. There are two loops. When we did it we did one loop one day, one loop the second day and on the third day we just used it to get around to things we didn't have time for earlier. Toronto has LOTS to see so you get your bearings this way.

- Second, if you're coming by car and you're on a budget, I highly recommend the Super 8 Downtown at 222 Spadina. The hotel is situated on the top 3 floors of a Chinatown shopping mall. (Pretty strange at first.) There is underground parking there for your car (and you get a price break if you park it and leave it vs. taking it in and out daily). Parking is from the alley behind the hotel, a little tricky. Spadina is a major street. You can leave the car in the garage because directly in front of the hotel is a trolley(streetcar) stop on the Spadina line.

The Super 8 comes with FREE breakfast off the lobby and is VERY clean. The rooms have microwaves and mini fridges! This is great if you go out to eat and bring home a doggie bag. Besides, at night I poop out, so making a cup a soup or some popcorn in my room before bed is so convenient.

The street in this neighborhood is VIBRANT, plus you are only a little south of the University of Toronto area. Take the street car. Be sure to explore Kensington market on the way, if you like bohemian (also budget friendly), also Little Italy just blocks away, has fabulous food and is kinda upscale. Really so much to see. In Chinatown I loved the buns that are stuffed with meat or veggies or sweets. Fresh and inexpensive and yummy.

Enjoy your time in Toronto. We did.//pics3.city-data.com/forum/ima...es/biggrin.gif

Old 07-18-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie Beanie View Post
-First thing, get a 3-day ticket for the hop-on hop-off bus (torontotours.net). For $37.64 you can ride the loop and hear about the different neighborhoods, history, food suggestions, funny stories.. It's great. then stay on the bus to go back to whatever sounds/looks good. There are two loops. When we did it we did one loop one day, one loop the second day and on the third day we just used it to get around to things we didn't have time for earlier. Toronto has LOTS to see so you get your bearings this way.

- Second, if you're coming by car and you're on a budget, I highly recommend the Super 8 Downtown at 222 Spadina. The hotel is situated on the top 3 floors of a Chinatown shopping mall. (Pretty strange at first.) There is underground parking there for your car (and you get a price break if you park it and leave it vs. taking it in and out daily). Parking is from the alley behind the hotel, a little tricky. Spadina is a major street. You can leave the car in the garage because directly in front of the hotel is a trolley(streetcar) stop on the Spadina line.

The Super 8 comes with FREE breakfast off the lobby and is VERY clean. The rooms have microwaves and mini fridges! This is great if you go out to eat and bring home a doggie bag. Besides, at night I poop out, so making a cup a soup or some popcorn in my room before bed is so convenient.

The street in this neighborhood is VIBRANT, plus you are only a little south of the University of Toronto area. Take the street car. Be sure to explore Kensington market on the way, if you like bohemian (also budget friendly), also Little Italy just blocks away, has fabulous food and is kinda upscale. Really so much to see. In Chinatown I loved the buns that are stuffed with meat or veggies or sweets. Fresh and inexpensive and yummy.
AWESOME suggestions, thanks! It looks like the Super 8 is all booked up, but I'll check back with them in case anyone cancels. Regardless, the bus sounds like a blast and Chinatown will be a must for at least a few of our meals while we're in town. You wouldn't happen to have a favorite dim sum place would you?

Old 07-18-2010, 05:32 PM

984 posts, read 2,712,873 times
Also the TTC offers all day passes for subway and buses for getting around so you could find a hotel a bit out near a subway line and use that to get around when going downtown.
http://www3.ttc.ca/Fares_and_passes/...Pass/index.jsp

Old 07-19-2010, 09:15 AM

228 posts, read 696,565 times
You could always check out one of the many festivals that happens here almost every weekend.

toronto.com (http://www.toronto.com/summerfestivals - broken link)

Old 07-19-2010, 09:49 AM

65 posts, read 196,938 times
Toronto really comes alive in its neighbourhoods - I find the usual tourist stuff mostly lacking.

Here's what I'd suggest within reasonable walking distance of downtown / U of T (or easy streetcar / subway acesss).

West of Yonge Street:

-Chinatown (food, coffee at the Darkhorse on Spadina, visit the newly renovated Art Gallery of Ontario, check out the architecture at the Ontario College of Art)
-Kensington Market (food! and second-hand/vintage clothes)
-Queen Street West between Spadina and Dufferin. Keep walking past Spadina and then past Bathurst and the street becomes more interesting (independent boutiques, restos, cafés, art galleries, Trinity Bellwoods park, bars, bookstores, etc)
-College Street (Little Italy at night is packed with cafe and restaurant goers)
-Ossington Street (between Dundas West and Queen West, west of Shaw Street - this is a great street for bars and restos in a rapidly gentrifying neighbourhood)
-take subway to High Park go for a stroll along the wooded trails

Downtown:

-take ferry to Toronto Island and walk along trails, beaches
-Beer at Beer Bistro, Queen and Beaver Pub
-St Lawrence Market (pick up food to bring to Toronto Island for picnic)
-Harbourfront Centre for art/ music performances etc

East of Yonge:

-Distillery District (coffee at Balzac's, beer at Mill Street, chocolate at Soma)
-take streetcar east on Queen Street to the Beaches neighbourhood, stroll along boardwalk, ice cream from Ed's Real Scoop

For all theatre, movie and music listings go to Celebrity Gossip, Celebrities, News, Latest Pictures, Fashion | Now Magazine.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie Beanie View Post
...if you're coming by car and you're on a budget, I highly recommend the Super 8 Downtown at 222 Spadina. The hotel is situated on the top 3 floors of a Chinatown shopping mall. (Pretty strange at first.) There is underground parking there for your car (and you get a price break if you park it and leave it vs. taking it in and out daily). Parking is from the alley behind the hotel, a little tricky. Spadina is a major street. You can leave the car in the garage because directly in front of the hotel is a trolley(streetcar) stop on the Spadina line.

AWESOME news, we were able to score a room at the Super 8 after all and got a great price to boot...all hail Priceline! Hey, isn't William Shatner a Canadian?

Old 07-21-2010, 07:33 AM

984 posts, read 2,712,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khyron View Post
Hey, isn't William Shatner a Canadian?
NSFW : http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...9236995630598#

Old 07-21-2010, 01:46 PM

65 posts, read 196,938 times
Oops, the link I posted for Now magazine is definitely wrong, it should be www.nowtoronto.com/.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:29 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khyron View Post
AWESOME news, we were able to score a room at the Super 8 after all and got a great price to boot...all hail Priceline! Hey, isn't William Shatner a Canadian?
Oh ho that's good news. You will think you are in China. LOL. Take the Queen car east to the end and take a walk through the beaches neighbourhood. That's were I was raised and I wouldn't live anywhere else in Toronto. If you were going to be renting I would get an apartment above a store right on Queen. The rents are still reasonable. High but doable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto