Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2010, 09:00 AM

43 posts, read 173,768 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I may be attending York University (Keele campus) for about a year and would like to know where to relocate. I'm not from Toronto.

A few criteria:
  • Not expensive (yes I'll need roommates); how much are we talking here?
  • Close to campus and amenities (no car)
  • Safe neighbourhood
  • Good access to downtown Toronto (don't want to be isolated up there)

Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 08:44 PM

18 posts, read 142,592 times
I wouldn't suggest right near the campus, the area has been known for being a little shady. Maybe near Bathurst and Finch? Nice, affordable housing, pretty safe. And only a short bus ride away from York

Old 10-11-2010, 07:35 AM

Thanks for the tip!

I was reading about the neighbourhoods around campus and they do sound a little sketchy (Jane & Finch!). I wouldn't mind living somewhere between campus and downtown, so that I have access to both relatively easily.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:03 AM

2,618 posts, read 1,504,572 times
Yonge and Finch is also a good option. Albion/Hwy27 is also good

Old 10-11-2010, 01:12 PM

18 posts, read 62,550 times
Keele and Rogers area? You can take the 44 bus north to Keele campus AFAIK.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:14 PM

North of Eglinton on Keele also has some nice homes and apartment buildings.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:55 PM

Thanks!

Now, looking at those places and considering I don't have a car, do you think it would be simpler to just live downtown or close to downtown, where things are within walking distance? How long would the commute to York take?

Vague question, I know, but I'm trying to make sense of this huge city.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badyouken View Post
Thanks!

Now, looking at those places and considering I don't have a car, do you think it would be simpler to just live downtown or close to downtown, where things are within walking distance? How long would the commute to York take?

From Keele and Rogers, taking the 41 bus north to York University is about 35 - 40 minutes.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:46 PM

228 posts, read 696,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badyouken View Post
Thanks!

Living Downtown and going to York, is not practical, imo. You're basically going from one end of the city to the other. It will probably take you an hour to an hour and a half one way.

I will suggest "downtown North York" which is the on the Yonge subway line between Sheppard and Finch. There are many things around in walking distance (groceries, 2 movie theaters, bars and restaurants, a huge Library etc.) From there you are about 20 to 30 minutes from Downtown and 20 to 30 minutes from York ( there are express buses from Sheppard station).

The only down side, rent may be a little pricey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto