Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 10:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,802 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm thinking about moving to toronto but I'd like to buy a house or a condo in the nearest town to toronto because I think the prices on real state and everything else could be lower. I really need some help choosing the town. Can anybody please guide me on this? Thank u.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 08:41 AM

2,618 posts, read 1,504,387 times
Calgary. Your guaranteed a job.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,650 times
I was planning to move to TORONTO , do you suggest Calgary? what Pay do you think I can draw.
Communication skills are excellent , Experience of High Pressure Jobs for last 14 Years, highly performance driven

Old 05-09-2010, 09:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,639 times
Hi!! I am moving from Bangladesh to Toronto this summer. I am an experienced teacher for more than 10 years; and taught in the higher sections of the reputed English medium schools. So what will me my steps to look for the jobs?

Old 05-10-2010, 10:57 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetmgomes View Post
Hi!! I am moving from Bangladesh to Toronto this summer. I am an experienced teacher for more than 10 years; and taught in the higher sections of the reputed English medium schools. So what will me my steps to look for the jobs?
Not to be insulting, but one assumes you will have the right to legally work in Canada?

If so, and if you wish to teach in a publicly-funded school, then you'll need to be certified by Become a Teacher - The Ontario College of Teachers

Old 05-16-2010, 02:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,600 times
I'm a senior considering moving to Toronto, and would like to know how housing for seniors is, and possibly working for the next 7yrs. Need some feedback from other seniors as to the best location in Toronto. I already have a friend living in Scarborough.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:26 AM

5 posts, read 13,583 times
Default Getting A Toronto Job

I acknowledge it is more difficult to gain employment today, much more so than it was in the eighties. But I also see the employment growth after the recession. Companies are hiring, albeit conservatively. If seeking employment, take the initiative.

My advice for those thinking about higher education and/or pursing employment is as follows:

i) Choose academic pursuits carefully with future employment in mind. Look through the help wanted ads to help you define a smart choice.

ii) Choose to get a degree over a diploma if possible. Those who have degrees from respectable institution will have the advantage over those with diplomas.

iii) Send out hundreds of resumes (thousands if possible). Go to a job posting site like www.jobs.to , www.workopolis.com, www.wroking.ca, and send to all companies hiring within your discipline area. (Send, even if they are not hiring for your exact position.) Try varying search engine strings to uncover hidden jobs. Consider this, greater than 30,000 jobs are being advertised in Toronto currently.

You can control your own fate. If you have no marketable skills…get some by going back to school. If you have marketable skills, but no job, then pepper the industry with your resume. Your future resides in your own hands. Take control.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:53 AM

6 posts, read 84,467 times
me and my parents moved from europe and it has been hard for jobs for them cause they're 50 and retaking their courses in engeneering and nursing because Canada does not recognize education from colleges they have partnership with or follow certain process of education.

However, studying in the US is a common practice by Canadians as well, and work practice is also recognized in both countries. Before you move though, make sure you get hard copy reference letters from every job you want to post on your resume, usually the last 3 jobs or jobs in last 3 years. Make a photocopy of them for every employer who asks you for references.

Other than that, it really depends on what job field you;re in to determine if it's easy to find a job. I'll tell you one thing, apply early, create connections with people in the field you're interested in. Fields like technology and engeneering are harder to find jobs in because they're very common and competition is bigger. There's always jobs for nurses and doctors, but it's hard to find good positions in good workplaces. Everything requires time and research. research online workplaces in your field and click the "Contact Us" button, send them your resume, send them the reference letter copies, and tell them when you'd be available to start.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:58 AM

6 posts, read 84,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafiore View Post
I'm a senior considering moving to Toronto, and would like to know how housing for seniors is, and possibly working for the next 7yrs. Need some feedback from other seniors as to the best location in Toronto. I already have a friend living in Scarborough.
do not live in scarborough, it is considered the ghetto of toronto. Areas west of downtown are usually decent and they have a lot of community and senior housing there. Etobikoke, south of the Westway and east of Martin Grove Rd seem to be ideal locations if you can afford them. I used to live there and there were a lot of seniors in my building and was just very relaxed, clean and safe area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto