Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 12:44 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times

Advertisements

No, invincible. No. Merry Christmas! "Happy holidays" bull**** lol

I like you man. You love us, you hate us.

..…......................you're all right. lol

Hope you have a wonderful christmas, and a happy new year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 08:30 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
No, invincible. No. Merry Christmas! "Happy holidays" bull**** lol

I like you man. You love us, you hate us.

..…......................you're all right. lol

Hope you have a wonderful christmas, and a happy new year!
I love your country and most of its citizens...

Lets hope for a peaceful 2013

Old 12-28-2012, 12:41 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,704,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajl22586 View Post
I've lived in the Toronto area for about three years and never once witnessed anything resembling anti-Americanism. When I tell people I'm American it's sort of like, "Oh, cool." That's it.
My wife and I have travelled all through Canada and the Canadian Maritimes and have never been treated anything less than great. My wife and I also take a lot of pride in our apprearance and speak proper English. Sounds corny, but those two things aren't something we always see and hear with fellow American tourists.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:35 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,216,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
What is with this "poor me" attitude by some Americans on this forum? Man up! Not everyone loves your country, big deal.

OMG Say it's not so.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:19 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,715,732 times
Default Toronto is great

It's been a lot of years since my wife and I visited Toronto, but we still remember having a wonderul time in the city. Some of my surprises were:

1. The city is tremendously cosmopolitan. I thought it would be full of Canadians speaking with a "Canadian" accent (and I'm not sure what I thought that would be). But on the very first day I heard at least six different languages being spoken on the street. And that's when I realized Toronto was an international city, not just Canadian (even though in Canada).

2. The subways were so absolutely CLEAN compared to NYC. Don't know if it's still that way, but I was very impressed with city services that kept that level of cleanliness.

3. Shops and even small grocery stores in the basement of high rise office buildings. I'd never seen that in the U.S. (maybe it's done somewhere???), and I thought, "How convenient to pick up something to take home if you need it."

4. There was a great science museum (don't remember the name) there that fascinated us for several hours, so much so that I was sorry when we had to leave to get to our dinner reservations.

We had driven up through Niagara to get to Toronto (from Ohio), so we had no tour guide to assist us. Instead we just asked people on the street and as I recall got brushed off only once.

The only "negative" I received was in asking the concierge at our hotel about planning a trip to Montreal to see the French influence in the country. He told me they didn't like Americans much over there and weren't even particularly fond of "English" speaking Canadians. So we spent a few more days in Toronto.

I want to visit Canada again, but my focus now is more on the western side of the country from Victoria to Regina. Good lord willing we can get up there sometime.

But Toronto was a great experience, and thanks to all the people who showed us such kindness (and patience) while we visited.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:40 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post

The only "negative" I received was in asking the concierge at our hotel about planning a trip to Montreal to see the French influence in the country. He told me they didn't like Americans much over there and weren't even particularly fond of "English" speaking Canadians. So we spent a few more days in Toronto.
Sounds like you got bad advice on Montreal and missed out on something both interesting and fun.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:56 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Sounds like you got bad advice on Montreal and missed out on something both interesting and fun.
I second that one! While those of us living in englais Canada are often singled out for special abuse in Quebec ; Montreal would not present you with much of that if any at all and is far too beautiful a city to forego seeing because of that remote possibility.

If you routinely stay in hotels while travelling; plan a winter visit to Montreal and experience the wonderful underground connections via subway/Metro that allow you to wander all over the city, popping up from the subways either inside major malls, Hotels or within a short walking distance to a plethora of tourist attractions.

Leave your car in the hotel underground parking and use that Metro service to experience everything from fine dining to theater without having to ever set foot outside in the weather.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:03 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,715,732 times
Default Thanks, Acajack & BruSan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Thanks for the information from both of you. We were on a limited budget back then and I was a bit worried about a language barrier in Montreal, so, yes, we probably should have gone anyway.

I hope to move to Idaho in a little over a year, when the wife retires, so the western side of Canada will simply be easier for us to visit--and we will certainly be on a limited budget then. We probably won't ever get a chance to get to Montreal now, but, good Lord willing, we will get to spend the rest of the Canadian currency I saved from our last visit--over 30 years ago!

Also, I've had many kind words from Canadians about my thoughts concerning Canada as a great friend of the United States.

Not one word from any fellow American than I can identify and it makes me very sad. I know many Americans must be reading this thread, and not one of them to add their voice in support of our closest ally is a shame.

Wishing my Canadian friends a Happy New Year!!!
an American Rebel

Old 01-05-2013, 06:05 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
I've been to Chicago and it is a big city - but with all the construction going on in T.O and the mass amount of people moving to the DT core... I don't think it qualifies as a mini Chicago anymore. If anything it is almost on par population wise in almost every measurement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I think it is a joke to say that Toronto has a general anti-America mindset. Toronto could be American city - a mini-Chicago and nobody will notice the difference.

Canadians, including Torontonians, are extremely insecure when it comes to talking about their mighty neighbour. They can be easily offended if you act like a typical arrogant American criticizing everything that is not American enough as if it were inferior or wrong (not saying most Americans are like that, but many are), but in general they like America.

So as long as you don't have that attitude and comprise a bit to the locals by occasionally mentioning how superior and livable Canada/Toronto is (particularly how good life quality is) and how much you like it more than America, they will accept you in no time.

In general, Canadians love America, but hate to hear it is better than Canada in any way.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:12 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
I don't think the average Torontonian is anymore anti American than the average American is anti canadian or Torontonian. In the Bush Jr years and particularly during the second Iraqi War I think there was alot of anti-bushism and disdain for U.S geo-politics but I hardly think this spilled over to the people of the U.S.

I also find it amusing when people think the average Torontonian is jealous of our "big brother" - I find the average Torontonian is too busy dealing with life than to worry too much about the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto