Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 05:58 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,887,502 times

Advertisements

well of course they will be young and hot -hello I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm gay though so i'll take a hot 21 year old male with olive complexion and dark features

btw bought my 36 million dollar 6/49 ticket tonight -

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthYorkEd View Post

I still have a better chance of winning 6/49 than getting shot in a Toronto mall, so nope, not ready to be molested by some minimum-wager in order to feel "safe". Unless, of course, the guard is a young attractive female. I could probably contain my outrage for that frisking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 05:22 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,043,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthYorkEd View Post
I don't dispute your stats or that there is a very obvious problem in certain communities. But I think it goes beyond race. I don't think people commit crime because of their skin color. I think it is an indication of massive systemic failure on many fronts, from family, to community, to society as a whole. This is not to condone or excuse criminal behavior, but just to recognize that the root causes are much more complex than just the pigment of skin.

It boils down to this: teach someone they are worthless, and they will neither value you nor themselves. Yes, that is a gross oversimplification. But I would argue the social machinery (including their own family and community) often works against certain people, whether poor, black, etc. (One of the best TV shows I've ever watched is The Wire. It illustrates how at each level of society, from hoodrats and junkies to cops and politicians, we are ultimately compromised and betrayed by the very institutions that are supposedly in place to serve us. Season 4 was especially poignant for seeing how young kids are so easily stripped of any potential and chewed up.) From gangstas to school shooters, the common denominator seems to be an isolation from the greater society, a feeling of not belonging or having value.

I do understand your frustration and perspective and I do recognize that the stats are leaning in a certain direction. I just think we differ in terms of why that situation exists and where potential solutions might be found.
I disagree in the sense that it DOES NOT go beyond race and its almost ALL about race when the overwhelming number of violent incidents involves blacks particularly when it comes to gun crime and murder.

This is the result of the failure of blacks THEMSELVES to their children and its NO ONE ELSE'S FAULT and here's why. In Toronto there's no completely black neighborhoods as you see in many US cities. There are parts of Toronto/GTA where there is a higher concentration of blacks than other areas, but even then there are plenty of non-blacks living in the exact same apartments, townhouses and public housing as blacks do and non-black families have their kids growing up in the same enviroment and going to the same schools but guess what? Very few of their kids grow up to be violent and even fewer that grow up to feel the need to carry a gun around.

So if violent behavior and kids growing up to become criminals isn't a result of black ghetto culture, bad parenting and hanging around bad people then what is it? You can't blame it on poverty when non-black kids can grow up mostly fine in the exact same conditions. So if what I'm saying is right, then why can't we be honest about it and get blacks to get their crap together?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
Before we start deporting young black males, I would like to see figures on the percentage of young black males that are convicted of violent gun crimes.

Or should we just set up camps where we can keep track of them in a concentrated area?
I would LOVE to see crime statistics broken down by race/ethnic groups, but everyone already knows that blacks will be at the top of that list despite having a tiny population in Toronto and I guarantee you they would do everything they could to stop such info from being release because they wouldn't want to be so publicly embarassed and ashamed by it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
Deporting people, racial profiling, putting up security barriers, denying that certain groups are not responsible for most of the crime etc. are not solutions. They are not addressing the root of the problem. They will not cause the problem to go away. We should focus our efforts on root causes and attack those. It's the logical and right thing to do. Some other posters, particularly TOKidd, have layed out in great detail the causes of some of these issues. It comes down to the home. Many blacks come from broked families without proper role models which causes them to turn to a glamourized life of violence, dealing, etc. Immigrants from other countries come to the country and are equally poor but they do not have broken homes. The family bonds are quite strong and the emphasis is made on education so it no wonder they do better.

It a difficult problem that I don't think anyone has all the solution to but efforts need to be made within certain communities to promote education and character building programs to supplement what they are not getting in broken homes. They need role models, after school programs, mentors, sports, scholarships, tutoring, volunteering and other activities to teach them the right values and traits to thrive. I'm not an educator but I'm intersted in this issue and have done some volunteer work with at risk youth and have realized these kids have potential to do better, they just don't know any better. They set the bar low for themselves, they don't know what's out there, and they don't have the discipline to do basic things like sacrifice, struggle, concentrate, pay attention, etc. I don't have all the answers but I believe they need a push and we need people who care to push them. I've read about success on a small scale in certain US cities. There are a lot of experiential programs going on in the US that have had great results in terms of turning around troubled youth but they require investment in great educators and new methods. I feel the only way to tackle this problem, or at least make it better, will require leadership and will on the part of our education system/government. It will require an investment of time and money by our governments and inspired educators to make this happen, but I'm afraid it doesn't rank high on our list of priorities, especially in challenging economic times.
The thing is why is it up to the rest of society to pay for and provide all these services to blacks when no other ethnic group needs it? How is it fair that the rest of us have to pay for all the failings of portions of black communities who can't raise their kids right? We have to pay for the police required to keep them in line, the medical services to patch them up when they kill or wound themselves and then the social services to try and prevent the problem from growing even larger.

Almost all of these problems stem from many blacks simply not using common sense and having a deep commitment to raising their kids right. I mean seriously if you don't want to be responsible for raising kids, THEN USE PROTECTION or have an abortion instead of having a kid that will grow in a bad home. And if you do decide to have a baby, THEN RAISE THEM RIGHT. Most non-black parents seem to do a good job of it, but for many black parents, they either aren't capable or equiped to doing a good job or else they just don't care to and that is why its a never ending cycle of violence among them.

And with regards to racial profiling etc, I think some form of it is necessary in that we need to target them as much as possible to fix this problem and if blacks don't like it that's too bad and for those blacks who are peaceful who are caught up in this, its unfortunate but it needs to be done. Racial profiling and targeting blacks to reduce crime didn't come out of nowhere. It came from years of black crime and murder in our city. Its not like police or people in general woke up one day and decided that blacks were violent and need to be targeted. They brought it upon themselves and now we need to get tough to clean things up once and for all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
Where does it say the shooter is black? Your posts in this thread are extremely disgusting to read.
Congratulations on being a racist bro. You should be very proud of yourself.
I'l admit that in this instance I jumped the gun and assumed blacks were involved. They may or may not have been since police didn't release more info, but even if you assume that the shooters were non-black in this case, that doesn't change the fact that blacks are still involved in the majority of shootings and murders in Toronto.

I mean just a few days after the Yorkdale shooting, a black teen was shot in a driveby and I think you won't disagree when I say the shooters were likely black. The point is just because a few shooting a year don't involve blacks, it doesn't change the fact that probably 95%-98% of crimes involving guns is committed by blacks.

Again 352,000 blacks are causing more crime and murder and gun crime that the other 4.7 MILLION+ non-blacks living here and if you want to dispute this go here:

GTA Homicides in 2013 | CBC Toronto

And see if more blacks or non-blacks are murdered at the end of the month and also look at the circumstances in which they were killed and then tell me I'm racist for being honest about the facts.

Last edited by Max Sterling; 04-07-2013 at 05:44 AM..

Old 04-07-2013, 06:51 AM

3,678 posts, read 7,218,274 times
Racist

Old 04-07-2013, 09:07 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,433,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Racist
Yup. His whole discussion goes out the window with me, with the idea of basically rounding up our young blacks and sending them out of the country.

Old 04-07-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Racist
Everything to do with blacks is 'racist' if they're on the other end of the discussion, but when they're the perpetrators of crime against innocent people especially non-blacks then its 'just a few bad apples' right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Yup. His whole discussion goes out the window with me, with the idea of basically rounding up our young blacks and sending them out of the country.
Did you even read what I said? Its completely true that if you removed all the murders involving blacks there would be less than 20 if that. Also if immigrants come here and commit crime, why should we allow them to stay? Ship them hope. Simple as that.

Also as much as you want to defend many ghetto blacks and their behavior, you would NEVER live in their neighborhoods in the US. That's right, the very people that you're defending would likely not give it a second thought to kick the crap out of you if you ever tried to enter 'their turf'. Shows how many people can be blind to reality these days.

Old 04-07-2013, 12:42 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,860,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
Everything to do with blacks is 'racist' if they're on the other end of the discussion, but when they're the perpetrators of crime against innocent people especially non-blacks then its 'just a few bad apples' right?

Did you even read what I said? Its completely true that if you removed all the murders involving blacks there would be less than 20 if that. Also if immigrants come here and commit crime, why should we allow them to stay? Ship them hope. Simple as that.

Also as much as you want to defend many ghetto blacks and their behavior, you would NEVER live in their neighborhoods in the US. That's right, the very people that you're defending would likely not give it a second thought to kick the crap out of you if you ever tried to enter 'their turf'. Shows how many people can be blind to reality these days.

First of all, immigrants who commit violent crimes are deported, as far as I know.

Second of all, in the black community a small number of fool are causing all the problems. So you're going to punish the entire community for the acts of a small number? I repeat my first question in this thread: what do you propose? What do you suggest society does to help reduce violence in the black community? What about you? If you care so much about this issue, what are you personally going to do?

Third, we ain't living in the US so why even bring American cities into the conversation? But I have visited many black neighbourhoods in the US, and their problems are very different than the ones we have in Toronto. There are no "black" neighbourhoods in Toronto. There are communities with higher proportions of black Canadians, but those neighbourhoods also have white people, Asian people, Latin Americans, etc. And why would I care about "turf" if I weren't in a gang myself?

Fourth, when was the last time you visited a community like Jane-Finch or Rexdale or Mount Dennis and actually walked around, seen what the area was really like? What do you even know about these communities that puts you in a position to say what should or should not be done to help solve the problem of violent crime? I don't think you know a damn thing about the black community or the neighbourhoods where many of them live. You seem very passionate about this subject, but what have you done to improve the problem, or make a positive contribution to the black community in Toronto? Or do you think posting wrong-headed tirades on a message board is sufficient? Why not volunteer at a community centre or tutor black teenagers - you know something that might actually make a difference?

Sorry, friend, but you're full of 5hit.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:15 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,433,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post

LMAO! You're talking to the wrong guy here. I used to date a black girl who lived in the "ghettos" of Detroit. DETROIT, MICHIGAN: Probably the most racially divided city on the continent. I spend countless hours over there, in the "hood". Days on end. I effectivly lived there. I was proably the only white guy within a mile and a half. At first, some of them were a little uneasy, but after about 2 days we were all drinking beers, working on cars, and having a great time together.

Still here, and only walked away with scratches on my back, thank you.

And no, I didn't dress like "them", I didn't really listen to "their" music. I had a giant mohawk, 16 hole Doc Martin's, a leather jacket, ripped up jean shorts with a big wallet chain, and suspensers hanging down.

YET, dispite ALL that, I was more than accepted by not only her family, but from the neighbourhood in general. Sure, some didn't like "whitey" on "their turf", but too bad.

Take off your privilaged white glasses for a second, and maybe YOU'LL see the world, and it's people, for what they really are.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:04 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,714,253 times
Quote:
Racist
^pretty much.

he (or she) is pretty much a flat out racist or a troll of some sort. it's pretty disgusting people like this still exist in todays society. it's best to ignore people like that and they will eventually go away. funny he/she is the only one in this thread to be making such ridiculous statements. by his logic he probably thinks newtown connecticut should round up all the white people and send them "deport them".

i don't pay any attention to such small minded individuals.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:28 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,887,502 times
I think what is more dangerous than all the gun violence in the world is ignorance coupled with sweeping generalizations about groups of people.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
First of all, immigrants who commit violent crimes are deported, as far as I know.
It often takes FOREVER to deport immigrants charged with crimes because its not enforced strictly all the time.

Quote:
Second of all, in the black community a small number of fool are causing all the problems. So you're going to punish the entire community for the acts of a small number? I repeat my first question in this thread: what do you propose? What do you suggest society does to help reduce violence in the black community? What about you? If you care so much about this issue, what are you personally going to do?
Again its MORE THAN JUST A FEW 'fools' that are causing problems in Toronto. If it were just a few, they would've wiped each out by now, be all in jail or else we wouldn't be hearing about a shooting basically every damn week would we?

What you and everyone defending blacks don't seem to understand is that I AGREE that most black people living in the city are probably decent people or at the very least don't get into serious trouble. BUT what YOU don't seem to get is that the PROPORTION of criminals in Toronto/GTA committing crimes and especially murders is MUCH, MUCH HIGHER in the black community than it is with everyone else COMBINED.

Think of it this way. For every asian or white criminal in Toronto, there's probably like at least 5 that are black. That's just a hypothetical ratio, but the point is if asians and whites and every other ethnic group committed crime at the same rates that this small black population did, Toronto would be one very violent city. BUT because the 93% non-black population here DO NOT commit crime at anywhere near the same rates that blacks do, Toronto is a very safe city. Is this really that difficult to understand?

Quote:
Third, we ain't living in the US so why even bring American cities into the conversation? But I have visited many black neighbourhoods in the US, and their problems are very different than the ones we have in Toronto. There are no "black" neighbourhoods in Toronto. There are communities with higher proportions of black Canadians, but those neighbourhoods also have white people, Asian people, Latin Americans, etc. And why would I care about "turf" if I weren't in a gang myself?
That's what I said above!

The point I'm making is that black and non-black kids are growing in the same neighborhoods, with similar income and the same enviroment yet its black kids that are more likely to be violent and are more likely to become criminals than their non-black counterparts. So doesn't this mean its obviously not the enviroment that's the cause but its the upbringing and who blacks choose to hang out with?

Quote:
Fourth, when was the last time you visited a community like Jane-Finch or Rexdale or Mount Dennis and actually walked around, seen what the area was really like? What do you even know about these communities that puts you in a position to say what should or should not be done to help solve the problem of violent crime? I don't think you know a damn thing about the black community or the neighbourhoods where many of them live. You seem very passionate about this subject, but what have you done to improve the problem, or make a positive contribution to the black community in Toronto? Or do you think posting wrong-headed tirades on a message board is sufficient? Why not volunteer at a community centre or tutor black teenagers - you know something that might actually make a difference?
Let me ask you something. Why is it up to me and the rest of Toronto to clean up the problems of the black community? We're already paying for it with all the violence and murder and cleaning up the streets of all the blood and other damage young black males have cause and now you're saying WE have to do even more to help them just because many blacks are horrible parents and can't raise their kids properly? You call that fair?

How about this novel idea? Maybe if the majority of blacks raised their kids properly like RESPONSIBLE PARENTS SHOULD BE DOING then most of them would turn out fine and we wouldn't have to be policing them so much and everyone would be happy.

Let me put it another way. Let's say I have kids and a couple of them grow up to be aggressive, violent and even start committing crime, are you saying that its completely not my fault in how they turned out and I don't have to take any responsibility for my kids actions? Is that what you're saying?? And are you also saying that someone from the black community will come and help mentor my kids and keep them in line for me so I don't have to do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
LMAO! You're talking to the wrong guy here. I used to date a black girl who lived in the "ghettos" of Detroit. DETROIT, MICHIGAN: Probably the most racially divided city on the continent. I spend countless hours over there, in the "hood". Days on end. I effectivly lived there. I was proably the only white guy within a mile and a half. At first, some of them were a little uneasy, but after about 2 days we were all drinking beers, working on cars, and having a great time together.
You might be the exception, but if Detroit's black population is so wonderful and peaceful there wouldn't be hundreds of murders annually there right? And other people wouldn't be fleeing to the suburbs to live in peace and leaving Detroit a ghost city right? Just because you didn't experience violence when you were there it doesn't mean that Detroit isn't a craphole city that's been ruined by the black population there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
^pretty much.

he (or she) is pretty much a flat out racist or a troll of some sort. it's pretty disgusting people like this still exist in todays society. it's best to ignore people like that and they will eventually go away. funny he/she is the only one in this thread to be making such ridiculous statements. by his logic he probably thinks newtown connecticut should round up all the white people and send them "deport them".

i don't pay any attention to such small minded individuals.
Toronto Police Service :: To Serve and Protect

Look at those statistics on the number of homicides and shooting incidents this year so far. Are you telling me that the vast majority of those incidents involve asians, whites, indians, latinos, europeans and other ethnic groups? Or do you believe most of those incidents involve blacks?

If you answer most probably involve blacks, then how is it racist to STATE THE TRUTH BASED ON FACTS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I think what is more dangerous than all the gun violence in the world is ignorance coupled with sweeping generalizations about groups of people.
I think people who willfully ignore all the facts and evidence presented that show a definite pattern that has been trending the same direction for decades now in favor of living in their own alternate reality or for political correctness' sake is the most dangerous of all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto