Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 08:03 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times

Advertisements

^^^pfft. Go for a drive in Detroit, my friend. lol

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 08:28 PM

103 posts, read 82,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
^^^pfft. Go for a drive in Detroit, my friend. lol

Okay, that doesn't count because Detroit can't even afford air... Lol jk

But seriously, NJ citizens have one of the highest average income, one of the highest state taxes, ...?? The roads don't add up!
New Jersey even has an extremely high amount of millionaires!

Old 08-28-2015, 06:44 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,453,096 times
But New Jersey also has some real bad cities. I've been there.

Jim B.

Old 08-28-2015, 02:52 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
I don't find Toronto drivers too rude or aggressive either. Those who complain about it probably never lived in big cities - from some small town with 200k people of course there will be some shock, but in general Toronto drivers are quite civil. I only rent cars occasionally and never had bad experiences. Most people give lights before changing lanes, slow down when you are about to change lane and many stop for pedestrians at cross walks.

The only problem I have is people don't seem to slow when under bad weather. For example last time it was snowing at night and I was driving quite cautiously, only to see most cars running at regular speed, passing me constantly as if it is bright day light on a sunny day. I honestly don't know if it is because you are simply excellent drivers or they are being reckless. Common sense tells me under such weather you are supposed to slow down significantly and leave a large space in front of you, but those guys don't, even on curved highways. I felt like a wuss :P

Old 08-28-2015, 03:48 PM

380 posts, read 431,059 times
We are good drivers? That's news to me.

Old 08-29-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I don't find Toronto drivers too rude or aggressive either. Those who complain about it probably never lived in big cities - from some small town with 200k people of course there will be some shock, but in general Toronto drivers are quite civil. I only rent cars occasionally and never had bad experiences. Most people give lights before changing lanes, slow down when you are about to change lane and many stop for pedestrians at cross walks.

The only problem I have is people don't seem to slow when under bad weather. For example last time it was snowing at night and I was driving quite cautiously, only to see most cars running at regular speed, passing me constantly as if it is bright day light on a sunny day. I honestly don't know if it is because you are simply excellent drivers or they are being reckless. Common sense tells me under such weather you are supposed to slow down significantly and leave a large space in front of you, but those guys don't, even on curved highways. I felt like a wuss :P
Agreed. Philadelphia probably has the calmest drivers on the east coast, but you'll still get cut off at least 12 times in 1 km of heavy traffic. They also still have plenty of "line cutters" that use the shoulder or off ramps/onramps to suddenly jab their car in front of others. Philadelphia has a smaller population than Toronto but it's still somehow more aggressive. I guess it's just culture mixed with road conditions like I stated before.

On the plus side, I have noticed that drivers in Philadelphia are cautious in snow. This may be due to the fact that it only snows there for a few days in January and February.

Old 08-29-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willg View Post
We are good drivers? That's news to me.
Again, I don't mean to attack anyone.. BUt you really don't get it until you've seen other places where road rage is common. I never had a second thought about the road rage here on the east coast because you expect to be cut off or something every time you drive. The way east coasters drive only crossed my mind when I came to Toronto which is a city that LACKS a notable amount of road rage based on what I'm used to. It's like suddenly realizing that something that's been around your whole life is missing.
Imagine suddenly finding out that your teeth are missing! That's what it was like. You never really think of it until it's gone.

I've never seen a city where people actually let others come into their lane so easily without starting a fight.. Or a city where drivers are patient to begin with.

It's just because I'm used to different things.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:25 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,453,096 times
I think I know the answer.........

Canadians are relaxed drivers , because they are not worried about medical bills.......

Could it be that simple.....maybe.

Jim B.

Old 08-31-2015, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
I think I know the answer.........

Canadians are relaxed drivers , because they are not worried about medical bills.......

Could it be that simple.....maybe.

Jim B.
Hey, if I get tired of winter here in NYC, I can easily go to Miami or Southern California without a passport I think that overshadows the fact that basic health here comes at a premium... Lol, just kidding

Old 08-31-2015, 02:14 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,175,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crna101 View Post
Hey, if I get tired of winter here in NYC, I can easily go to Miami or Southern California without a passport I think that overshadows the fact that basic health here comes at a premium... Lol, just kidding
Actually one could travel to America from Canada these days without necessarily a passport. They introduced something called Global Entry couple years ago - basically it's a special ID card issued by the CBP that allows you to bypass the lines at border customs. All you need to do is to scan your card at a machine and off you go to board your plane or drive across border without the usual fuss. Global Entry also allows the user to go through the "fast lane" at most airports - don't need to remove shoes, laptop, etc - just walk through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto