Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 05:21 PM

29 posts, read 37,298 times

Advertisements

On the car issue, you have a few options to look into. Assuming the cars are relatively new with no recalls, you shouldn't have too many issues on the Canadian side other than the general hassle of re-registering, some paperwork and fees, ect. Par for the course with an international move. You can check to see that each make and model meets Canadian requirements at the RIV website. It will also explain all the paperwork and fees on the Canadian side.

It is exporting from the States that has become a major pain. You have to register as an exporter and go through some ridiculous bureaucracy. I imported my car to BC several years ago without much issue. But now I am importing my car to ON, and I can't believe how difficult it has become due to this new exporting requirement. There are ways to avoid this hassle, but they are expensive. If you ship with your moving company or put your cars on a car transporter or train via a professional company, they will do much of this for you. The down side, other than cost, is that you will be without your cars for a while. I moved from farther away (CA), but was quoted close to $4,000 to put one compact car on the moving truck and about $2,000 for rail. I don't think it is worth the trouble/price anymore unless you're very attached to your car. It's nice to have cars with highlighted kilometers versus miles anyway.

I agree with others above that you probably won't want multiple vehicles--two max if you have a detached house with driveway. We are going down to one car as this is a highly urbanized area. It is easier and faster to take public transport, especially if you are working downtown.

We are going to a private school because we do alternative schooling. I have noticed that the private schools I looked at in the city core/Old Toronto had a fair number of expats/transient students. However, this may also be true of public schools as this is a very cosmopolitan city. I know that some of the super well rated public high schools have a number of kids who come internationally solely for the education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 06:24 PM

15 posts, read 43,071 times
Did the school visits today.

Saw a couple of public schools in Forest Hill/Lytton Park and Leaside (has girls lacrosse). Kids liked very much.

We also went to a couple of private schools that the kids liked as well. The biggest differentiating factor (besides cost) seemed to be around class sizes. Both of my kids were looking for sub 20.

The good news is that our takeaway is we can't go wrong either way. It will come down to fit and comfort. I could see one of them choosing the public school and the other going private. Will work through that over the next couple of weeks.

The car thing has become less opaque to me. It seems to net out to getting my cars here should be no problem (as discussed above). The challenge will be in getting my cars back to the states in the event that we move back given the fact that our titles have to be surrendered here in Canada.

Looking at a "Plan B" in the event that this becomes problematic.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:35 AM

27 posts, read 23,836 times
As far as private schools. For your daughter I would be in contact with Branksome Hall and see if they have wait list that you could have her put on. The teachers are very involved with students and the parents and teachers are in contact quite often. They have a great IB program at Branksome. You could also look at Havergal. I do think Branksome will be more welcoming.

Upper Canada would likely be a good choice for your son.

Forest Hill is a nice area to live especially if you are looking around St. Clair and Avenue Road. The commute down to Bloor and Yonge either by transit or car won't be long. In the nicer if you are feeling ambitious you could walk down in 20-25 minutes.

York Mills/Don Mills you will find homes that are larger on larger lots.

Old 01-05-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoBorn View Post
As far as private schools. For your daughter I would be in contact with Branksome Hall and see if they have wait list that you could have her put on. The teachers are very involved with students and the parents and teachers are in contact quite often. They have a great IB program at Branksome. You could also look at Havergal. I do think Branksome will be more welcoming.

Upper Canada would likely be a good choice for your son.

Forest Hill is a nice area to live especially if you are looking around St. Clair and Avenue Road. The commute down to Bloor and Yonge either by transit or car won't be long. In the nicer if you are feeling ambitious you could walk down in 20-25 minutes.

York Mills/Don Mills you will find homes that are larger on larger lots.
Thank for the recommendations.

We received positive reviews for Branksome from others as well so it is definitely on our list. In terms of private options for our son, it will likely come down to St Mike's or UCC. He saw St Mike's and was VERY enthused around the prospect of going there. Seemed very welcoming and since 7th grade is the first entry year, he was pleased with the idea of starting next Fall with all of the rest of the incoming 7th graders. Plus both St Mike's and UCC have lacrosse which is very important to him.

Our daughter may be a bit trickier as we are finding schools like BSS and Havergal to be "full" for Fall 11th grade entries (since it is a non traditional entry year. Not discouraged, just means that if those schools become options, it will require a bit more "work" on our part to make that happen. Regardless, there were other schools (St Clements and York) that she did see which did have slots and would wonderful options as she liked them both.

Interestingly, one of the things that kept coming up was the notion that each of the private schools had a unique "vibe" or feel. When we proved further, we received very vague responses, but they hinted at the personas of the schools. Didn't get anything more than that which was weird. Requires more digging.

Based upon the visit, we are going to try and frame our home search to North of St Clair/East of Bathurst/South of Lawrence/West of Yonge (plus/minus a couple of blocks in any direction).

As we are leaving, we come away with a very positive feeling and the family is enthused about moving to Toronto.

Which is nice...

Old 01-05-2016, 01:48 PM

5 posts, read 5,544 times
Default Housing in Central Toronto

You posted Standouts included Lawrence Park, Lytton Park and Forest Hill houses and neighborhoods; Queen St West; The Distillary; and the various shops and restaurants up and down Yonge St.

You are spot on in your choices. A few of these areas have both excellent public and private schools. Unlike the US we do have a wonderful public school system which saves $20K + on private schools. Lacrosse however would be a problem for public schools.

The walkability score for for Forest Hill is better for restaurants and schools combined-both private and public.

The Distillary is more of a young upwardly mobile area of Millennials. You really can't walk too many places.

Two other wonderful areas are the East Annex (Avenue Rd N of Bloor to Spadina Rd. and the "Beaches" which is Queen St E.

If need any information I would be pleased to help. My profession gives me access to a wealth of information.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:46 PM

4 posts, read 6,205 times
Just to add one last point. You mentioned that your daughter is interested in going to an Ivy league school. If I were you I would check the admission statistics to top universities from the schools that you have short-listed.

Based on what I heard before it is possible to get into top universities in the states from good private schools in Canada (such as UofT schools or UCC) but may be a lot tougher from a public school. In fact getting into Harvard from a public school in Toronto is probably next to impossible unless you know someone on the admissions committee.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:46 PM

3,625 posts, read 3,412,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalgear View Post
Just to add one last point. You mentioned that your daughter is interested in going to an Ivy league school. If I were you I would check the admission statistics to top universities from the schools that you have short-listed.

Based on what I heard before it is possible to get into top universities in the states from good private schools in Canada (such as UofT schools or UCC) but may be a lot tougher from a public school. In fact getting into Harvard from a public school in Toronto is probably next to impossible unless you know someone on the admissions committee.
Not necessarily. One of my Toronto public high school classmates got academic scholarships from Harvard, Yale, and MIT, among others. Smartest kid in our graduating class, with a 98% average overall. He chose MIT, and would eventually complete his Doctorate at Princeton. A few others got academic scholarships from other US schools: I do recall that one classmate got a full ride to UCLA.

That's only a couple of anecdotes though, so it might be worth the OP's while, if the children are interested in US Ivy League schools eventually, to talk to the Ivy League schools now, and see how they regard Toronto public and private high schools.

Just because I'm wondering, OP, did you look into public high schools at all, or have you decided to stick with private schools?

Old 01-06-2016, 08:20 PM

4 posts, read 6,205 times
Did he have anything extra besides a 98% average? I'm sure that there are tons of kids that apply to Harvard with high averages, but there must be something else that made him stand out..

Old 01-08-2016, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Not necessarily. One of my Toronto public high school classmates got academic scholarships from Harvard, Yale, and MIT, among others. Smartest kid in our graduating class, with a 98% average overall. He chose MIT, and would eventually complete his Doctorate at Princeton. A few others got academic scholarships from other US schools: I do recall that one classmate got a full ride to UCLA.

That's only a couple of anecdotes though, so it might be worth the OP's while, if the children are interested in US Ivy League schools eventually, to talk to the Ivy League schools now, and see how they regard Toronto public and private high schools.

Just because I'm wondering, OP, did you look into public high schools at all, or have you decided to stick with private schools?
We are looking at both.

Old 05-13-2016, 06:27 AM

376 posts, read 1,062,620 times
I think he is saying that it might be easier for his kids to make friends in a private school because he's heard there will be more newcomers than in established neighborhood public schools where relationships/social cliques could be harder to break in to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto