Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 08:57 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,994,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marini83 View Post
Patton we can have a coffee if you'd like we can both rant about Toronto

I've met people from Brazil to Norwegian/Swedish and they do agree that people in Toronto are if not the coldest one of the coldest. A city I find it's like a mechanical clock, in order for you to function within it you have to mould yourself after one of the tiny gears that make it work. Pretty much you have to devote/give in to a certain way of living. Torontonians are too too uptight, they need to loosen up.
I'd meet to rant about Toronto anytime lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
You're not my cup of tea, Toronto and I am not your cup of tea either so I think the solution for the victim is clear - no?

I almost feel like I've had this exact conversation with another poster and it was basically the same message. Talk about predictable lol.. If you're not happy with your life stop being the victim and change the situation. Toronto will keep growing and the world will keep spinning whether people who live here and don't want to decide to stay or go - life moves on but life is too short to be unhappy where you live. I'm fine here, the people who live here are fine enough people for me and by and large they must be ok with one another or the city wouldn't be growing, but if the moment ever comes that i'm not happy in the city i'll do whatever I can to not be a victim!
Who said I wasn't happy with my life? Just because I detest Toronto people? See, there's that egocentricity again. If I can't have a cold, aloof, money-hungry, work-is-my-religion, what-have-you-done-for-me-lately Torontonian as a friend, my life must be meaningless!!

Quote:

Not sure what else I can say about the matter. If its therapeutic for you to vent about how unfriendly Toronto is than have at it! I think you and I both know it'll ultimately change nothing.

Honestly, if you're absolutely stuck in Toronto and can't leave and you feel lonely than there has to be some sort of help/Counselling. Something tells me you're stronger than being a simple victim - just a hunch lol... If you are genuinely in distress I genuinely wish you well but hard to come to that conclusion based on your posts in here. Someone that depressed about the situation would hopefully be coming at it with a different approach than yours. By your posts you're every bit snarky Torontonian as I could ever hope to be. Peacocks know Peacocks...
Yes, peacocks know peacocks. I guess habits rub off after awhile of being immersed in it. I'm not lonely. I learned a long time ago to be self-sufficient, plus I have friends abroad.

Quote:
Toronto is pretty much like every other city at least in N.A in that most people work mon to fri 9-5 jobs. What people do on their downtime or how they spend their money is really up to them. That isn't on Toronto to dictate what people do in their free time or what to buy is it?
There's the "Toronto is like every other N.A. city" myth again. It's not. Regardless of how Toronto Tourism and the ego of the average denizen of Toronto plays it out, it's just not.

Old 04-06-2017, 05:32 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton360 View Post
Who said I wasn't happy with my life? Just because I detest Toronto people? See, there's that egocentricity again. If I can't have a cold, aloof, money-hungry, work-is-my-religion, what-have-you-done-for-me-lately Torontonian as a friend, my life must be meaningless!!
I'd like to know what circles you are meeting your friends. I think it has less to do with the general people of Toronto and more to do with the circles you hang with. For what is underlined, those don't describe my circle. I think you need to expand your circle much more than you need to generalize millions of people

Quote:
Yes, peacocks know peacocks. I guess habits rub off after awhile of being immersed in it. I'm not lonely. I learned a long time ago to be self-sufficient, plus I have friends abroad. !!
Great! I'm glad you're not complaining about being a victim anymore!

Quote:

There's the "Toronto is like every other N.A. city" myth again. It's not. Regardless of how Toronto Tourism and the ego of the average denizen of Toronto plays it out, it's just not.
Umm yeah ok

Quote:
I'd meet to rant about Toronto anytime lol.
I see this very statement as a problem because it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy and has a way of blinding you.

Old 04-06-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:
I'd like to know what circles you are meeting your friends. I think it has less to do with the general people of Toronto and more to do with the circles you hang with. For what is underlined, those don't describe my circle. I think you need to expand your circle much more than you need to generalize millions of people
Well, if it walks like a duck and sounds like a duck...
But wait, I'll just put my senses aside and take your word for it. After all, who should I believe? You or my lying eyes?

Quote:

Great! I'm glad you're not complaining about being a victim anymore!
Never was.

Quote:
Umm yeah ok
Glad you agree!

Quote:
I see this very statement as a problem because it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy and has a way of blinding you.
But you could never be blind, correct? You're 100% impartial in your defence of Toronto. Got it.

Old 04-06-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Well, if it walks like a duck and sounds like a duck...
But wait, I'll just put my senses aside and take your word for it. After all, who should I believe? You or my lying eyes?
For your own sake... Believe me..

Quote:
But you could never be blind, correct? You're 100% impartial in your defence of Toronto. Got it.
I'm not defending Toronto. I'm defending millions of individuals who are probably not representative of how you are portraying them. You're generalizing Toronto.. I'm not - that's the big difference here.

Old 04-06-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
For your own sake... Believe me..
I'm doing fine, but thanks for the offer to allow me to blindly follow you. I'll probably regret passing that golden opportunity up.

Quote:
I'm not defending Toronto. I'm defending millions of individuals who are probably not representative of how you are portraying them. You're generalizing Toronto.. I'm not - that's the big difference here.
Let them defend themselves. You're defending a group based on a pretty large "probably not representative" assumption. We know you think Torontonians are the salt of the earth (your own generalization), but get over it.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
I'm doing fine, but thanks for the offer to allow me to blindly follow you. I'll probably regret passing that golden opportunity up.
You should never pass on gold

Quote:
Let them defend themselves. You're defending a group based on a pretty large "probably not representative" assumption. We know you think Torontonians are the salt of the earth (your own generalization), but get over it.
Aren't you speaking for them based on 'probably' assumptions. Neither one of us knows the majority of Torontonians - its impossible the city is too large for that. I just think my assumptions are a lot more probable than yours. It is possible you are right, just not probable. As for me thinking Torontonians are the salt of the earth - we are all children of the earth.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:11 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,727,708 times
This conversation again lol.

How old is this new one complaining about people in Toronto?
Also who the heck has all this time to play with their friends? Must be nice?
I 100% long for the days when my biggest problems were which outfit to wear to the club we were going to that night and when my world revolved around my friends, parties, sleepovers, spa dates and hanging out... but in reality life is not like that for most adults.

Especially the ones that don't want to live pay cheque to pay cheque and have bills to pay and families to support.
I was a highly social person before living on my own, getting married having a kid. Now I can't find anyone to go out with because not because they don't want to go... but because they are either broke, exhausted by the time they get home, live in the 905s because they can't afford to live in the city, married with small kids or are pregnant .... or ALL of the above. Also because I can't afford to wait for other people to get them themselves together. If I want to go somewhere I go without anyone. If I meet people when out we will talk for a bit ... but I rarely swap contact info unless asked as the reality sadly is I really don't have time to devote to creating strong friendships face to face with people as the rest of my life takes up all my time.

Also when out alone ex concerts, theatre or whatever most of the people I see out are in groups if they are female or men on their own. And 99% of the time if approached to talk by a male it gets problematic because unless they are gay ... it becomes a conflict of interests. Females in this city for the most part still travel in flocks. If anyone in the flock approaches another female to talk it is mainly regarding jewellery or makeup.

Best places to meet anyone is while waiting in line lol.

I hear the same stuff about all major cities in North America and in many other countries. So if thinking the grass is greener on the outside helps anyone sleep at night well so be it.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post

I hear the same stuff about all major cities in North America and in many other countries. So if thinking the grass is greener on the outside helps anyone sleep at night well so be it.
Remember that poster Laser99 I think.. He used to complain about Atlanta all the time and praised Toronto. Then he moved up here, married a Torontonian girl. Unfortunately that relationship went down the tubes and I think he got divorced and started complaining about how cold and boring Toronto/Torontonians are. The irony makes me laugh all the time... I don't hear him complaining about Toronto anymore but i'm sure he's complaining about another city as we speak somewhere and about how much the women suck there too...

As for the complaining about Toronto - is it the city or is it just complaints about getting older.. Your post about being busy, having a family and responsibilities could be copied and pasted into pretty much any large city in Canada/U.S.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
This conversation again lol.

How old is this new one complaining about people in Toronto?
Old enough to have been around the block several dozen times, thanks.

Quote:
Also who the heck has all this time to play with their friends? Must be nice?
I 100% long for the days when my biggest problems were which outfit to wear to the club we were going to that night and when my world revolved around my friends, parties, sleepovers, spa dates and hanging out... but in reality life is not like that for most adults.
It's certainly not true for Torontonians whose lives consist primarily of work, and then it's death, so that they can pay for overpriced things throughout their lives.

Quote:
Especially the ones that don't want to live pay cheque to pay cheque and have bills to pay and families to support.
Oh, I don't know. I did fairly well and built up quite a nest egg while still taking time to converse with people about things other than what I can derive from them.

Quote:
I was a highly social person before living on my own, getting married having a kid. Now I can't find anyone to go out with because not because they don't want to go... but because they are either broke, exhausted by the time they get home, live in the 905s because they can't afford to live in the city, married with small kids or are pregnant .... or ALL of the above.
This proves my second point (above).

Quote:
Also because I can't afford to wait for other people to get them themselves together. If I want to go somewhere I go without anyone. If I meet people when out we will talk for a bit ... but I rarely swap contact info unless asked as the reality sadly is I really don't have time to devote to creating strong friendships face to face with people as the rest of my life takes up all my time.

Also when out alone ex concerts, theatre or whatever most of the people I see out are in groups if they are female or men on their own. And 99% of the time if approached to talk by a male it gets problematic because unless they are gay ... it becomes a conflict of interests. Females in this city for the most part still travel in flocks. If anyone in the flock approaches another female to talk it is mainly regarding jewellery or makeup.

Best places to meet anyone is while waiting in line lol.

It actually is. All my friends are from outside Toronto. Only one is from the GTA, even. The rest are from outside Canada altogether. I met them when I ventured outside of the Centre of the Universe and was shocked to find that people exist on the planet who aren't 100% devoted to getting ahead at work and dumping you if you have nothing to offer them toward that end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto