Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 10:16 PM

25 posts, read 79,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihos501 View Post
kkgg7 got me quite pissed off about the info he said. Toronto is not anywhere like 1/4 size of new york, have you take a look of Toronto 2010. Damm you guys are not looking at a different angle of toronto and looking at 360 degrees new york. I Love both Canada and NY. but im living in TO 2 years now and Lived 2 years in NYC, and moved to TO. Toronto, less crime, not smaller skyline, just google Toronto Skyline and it absolutely comparable to NY, i dunno where chicago comes in.
Toronto doesn't have areas which are as bad as Bronx or Queens, although seems Queens and Brooklyn have been getting nicer over the years.

all taken into account, Toronto is big too, but not its downtown/financial district/waterfront.

the skyline is tiny in Toronto.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:25 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,149,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgp1 View Post
Toronto doesn't have areas which are as bad as Bronx or Queens, although seems Queens and Brooklyn have been getting nicer over the years.

all taken into account, Toronto is big too, but not its downtown/financial district/waterfront.

As bad as Queens? What does it even mean? It's a ridiculous statement. It's like saying the whole city of Toronto is bad. Queens and Brooklyn are two boroughs of NYC each with many different neighborhoods and both have good and bad areas. Even Bronx have good and bad areas to live.

Each Queens and Brooklyn have a population of about 2,5 million, covering an area as big as Toronto.

Last edited by movingwiththewind; 08-16-2010 at 02:16 AM..

Old 08-16-2010, 07:10 AM

1,654 posts, read 5,855,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgp1 View Post

Tiny relative to what?

Old 08-16-2010, 07:56 AM

701 posts, read 1,900,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
Tiny relative to what?
relative to NYC and Hong Kong, for sure.
when compared with most other cities, Toronto's skyline is bad at all.

But honestly speaking, if not for the CN tower, Toronto's skyline is really kind of bland, lack of any character to speak of -- not big enough, not tall enough, not beautiful enough either.

NYC's skyline is still impressive without the world trade center, Chicago's would still be one of the finest without Willis Tower, but Toronto's skyline would tumble instantly to anonymity if the CN tower is somehow gone.
Attached Thumbnails
New York vs. Toronto-.jpg   New York vs. Toronto-t2.jpg  

Old 08-16-2010, 10:07 PM

25 posts, read 79,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkgg7 View Post
relative to NYC and Hong Kong, for sure.
when compared with most other cities, Toronto's skyline is bad at all.

But honestly speaking, if not for the CN tower, Toronto's skyline is really kind of bland, lack of any character to speak of -- not big enough, not tall enough, not beautiful enough either.

NYC's skyline is still impressive without the world trade center, Chicago's would still be one of the finest without Willis Tower, but Toronto's skyline would tumble instantly to anonymity if the CN tower is somehow gone.
CN tower is not that nice looking. my favorite is actually that older looking building, Royal York maybe?

Old 08-16-2010, 11:13 PM

77 posts, read 284,516 times
I actually always had a mixed feeling about CN Tower.. While it is considered as THE landmark of Toronto and contributed to Toronto's fame, I don't feel like it is truly a part of the city and downtown complex.. it is an empty structure with no occupancy, rather than actual business buildings built for needs (like Willis Tower or ESB etc). You don't see Torontonian businessmen walking in/out/around there. For many locals it is just a giant tourist trap.. I hardly even have chance to walk by the Tower, because of its location squeezed between the railway and Gardiner... and its architecture has nothing to do with the identity of Toronto..

Statue of Liberty is associated with the identity of city/country, Golden Gate bridge is what people actually use, Gateway Arch has location and identity.....I wonder if there are any other landmarks around with not much significance, other than CN Tower.

I feel a little depressed when I travel and introduced myself as Torontonian and they say "Oh I know CN Tower blah blah.." I wish they knew something more genuine about Toronto as a representation.

BTW I like Toronto's skyline, it's just that I wish CN Tower was something more meaningful since it is the most outstanding feature of the skyline.

Last edited by fps7028; 08-16-2010 at 11:21 PM..

Old 08-17-2010, 06:13 PM

39 posts, read 146,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fps7028 View Post
I actually always had a mixed feeling about CN Tower.. While it is considered as THE landmark of Toronto and contributed to Toronto's fame, I don't feel like it is truly a part of the city and downtown complex.. it is an empty structure with no occupancy, rather than actual business buildings built for needs (like Willis Tower or ESB etc). You don't see Torontonian businessmen walking in/out/around there. For many locals it is just a giant tourist trap.. I hardly even have chance to walk by the Tower, because of its location squeezed between the railway and Gardiner... and its architecture has nothing to do with the identity of Toronto..

Statue of Liberty is associated with the identity of city/country, Golden Gate bridge is what people actually use, Gateway Arch has location and identity.....I wonder if there are any other landmarks around with not much significance, other than CN Tower.

I feel a little depressed when I travel and introduced myself as Torontonian and they say "Oh I know CN Tower blah blah.." I wish they knew something more genuine about Toronto as a representation.

BTW I like Toronto's skyline, it's just that I wish CN Tower was something more meaningful since it is the most outstanding feature of the skyline.
This post confuses me. First you say that the CN Tower is "THE landmark of Toronto" and that it has "contributed to Toronto's fame", then you say it has no significance... odd.

As for it having no practical purpose, you do realize its the same case for every other observation tower ever made?

Old 08-17-2010, 09:43 PM

77 posts, read 284,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Dot guy View Post
This post confuses me. First you say that the CN Tower is "THE landmark of Toronto" and that it has "contributed to Toronto's fame", then you say it has no significance... odd.

As for it having no practical purpose, you do realize its the same case for every other observation tower ever made?
Yes, it is an observation tower, and just like every other observation tower, it has no practical purpose (other than broadcasting antenna), I realize that.

But the thing is, it has become Toronto's most famous landmark, just because it is TALL.

Seriously, how is the CN Tower significant, aside from being a very tall observation tower? These are my questions:

Is it related to identity of Toronto or Canada in terms of architecture?
Is it a naturally erected building to serve Toronto's economy and commerce?
Does it serve people in Toronto? or people from outside?
Is it located where local Torontonians walk by all the time, thus people are familiar with it from the street level? (it's always over there somewhere)
Is it a beautiful looking object? If so, why? Does it have any serious artistic aspect or meaning?

Since this thread is about Toronto vs New York, i'll try to compare based on this. Statue of Liberty is not a building nor a part of downtown complex, but it is a national symbol and has important meaning, needless to explain. Empire State Building, Chrysler Building, Destroyed WTC etc. have observation deck, but are actual buildings with New Yorkers working inside, symbols of NYC's economic power, being located in everyday urban environment, considered as masterpieces of their architectural era. Also, the media and pop culture almost made them legendary.

You know, the CN Tower is now more than a landmark, it is now maybe the symbol of Toronto. But, what is a symbol? A symbol carries one or more meanings. And it doesn't seem that Toronto's symbol carries that many important meanings. Yes, it has been the TALLEST freestanding structure for a good amount of time, and helped Toronto's presence in the world by this record, but being tall does not mean having important meanings.

Maybe it is better having a sky tall observation tower in a city, than not having it. But if it had to be there and became a symbol, I think it would have been much better if it had more meanings to share with people in the city and/or the country.

Don't get me wrong, I am a Torontonian who likes Toronto's skyline and the look of the CN tower. I hope the CN Tower gains more meaning/significance as Toronto's history gets older over time (this needs help from Toronto/Canada's own media industry).

By the way please correct me if I stated anything wrong or missed anything important.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:35 AM

701 posts, read 1,900,653 times
I tend to agree with you, Fps7208.

The CN tower, besides being tall, doesn't carry any economic, historic, cultural or even architectural significance. It is something like KVLY-TV mast - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, which was almost 630 meters tall, except being bigger and having more concrete.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:18 PM

182 posts, read 454,687 times
woow, u guys love dissing, u guys are from new york arent you? altlease toronto pretty much cleaner by far and hotter girls and toronto's skyline is the only one that is comparable to ny's i have proff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto