Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 03:24 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,723,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto416 View Post
I agree with the other members here in that you don't see true ghettos in Toronto (yet) partly because its become a Vancouver-ized city for the very, very rich with very bad planning (let's put our millionaires in vertical gated communities downtown, and have those with little to no money move into the buildings on the eastern edges of the city, where they'll be forced to buy a car or a $100 transit pass every month); meanwhile, those with all the affluence live within walking distance of the food banks, health centres, cultural spaces and places of employment the low-wage earners spend 90 minutes one way on the bus to get to. Makes NO sense.
The downtown condos are not mostly for the "very, very rich" and most of the "very, very rich" live in single family houses outside downtown. There are wealthy buildings, but the closest thing to an exclusive condo area is around Yorkville.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:19 PM

1 posts, read 3,999 times
parkdale is by far the worst neighborood it leads in the most murders commited
in my block 11 people have been killed in the past 5 years and thats just in one block

Old 08-16-2013, 04:17 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,859,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquids View Post
parkdale is by far the worst neighborood it leads in the most murders commited
in my block 11 people have been killed in the past 5 years and thats just in one block
Which block is that? I'd look to look it up on the Toronto Police website.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:25 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,407,761 times
I lived in Parkdale for a while and I never had any problems, but there is (or was, don't know what its like now) alot of drug addicts, prostitutes and people with mental health problems in that area.

There was a chinese/colombian restaurant on queen street. I used to eat there all the time. I think it was called the Pheonix or something like that. Lots of cool little restaurants around there.

Old 08-17-2013, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I lived in Parkdale for a while and I never had any problems, but there is (or was, don't know what its like now) alot of drug addicts, prostitutes and people with mental health problems in that area.

There was a chinese/colombian restaurant on queen street. I used to eat there all the time. I think it was called the Pheonix or something like that. Lots of cool little restaurants around there.
The area has changed a lot, especially around Queen St. Gentrification has totally changed Queen almost to Lansdowne. It's barely recognizable. Despite the fact that it still has some crackheads and pros walking around late at night, I haven't heard about anyone getting murdered there in a while, never mind 11 in 5 years. I read the paper almost every day. I think I would have noticed if there were as many murders as the other poster claims.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:48 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,217,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamseCA View Post
Harlem NY is not dangerous at all. You must be stuck in the 70's. There is major developments occurring there now. Second off, you seem to get your information from movies? US crime statistics use a complete different methodology then Canadian ones. It is a fact that what the US considers a serious or light crime is different then what Canada does. Most Canadian stats are "stat padded". Major US cities are extremely safe, no different then Toronto. With the heavy influence of 3rd world immigration flooding Toronto, some area's are becoming very dangerous.
Harlem has Starbucks, that's enough to say its not a ghetto.

Old 08-18-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Harlem has Starbucks, that's enough to say its not a ghetto.
Not really. Parts of Harlem are still some of the poorest urban areas in America. It's getting better, but when was the last time you walked around 135th and St. Nicholas, or East 101st St.?

Old 04-21-2014, 11:43 AM

1 posts, read 3,152 times
Are you people kidding me putting Brampton in this conversation. Brampton is still a very safe place to live if it is going down it may have alot to do with the types of people moving into basement apartments not the people buying half a million dollar homes.Compared to toronto and surrounding areas Brampton is still a good place to live.I feel there is a growing percentage of people who for what ever reason have a thing against Brampton and am sure they don,t live there.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:40 PM

4 posts, read 6,536 times
Everyone always uses Harlem as an example

BUT, if you want to see HOOD, check out Brownsville section of Brooklyn.

Its about as safe as Demascus or Baghdad

I don't go through there with anything less than a battalion of frends and a tank

Old 04-22-2014, 09:14 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,407,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew7 View Post
Everyone always uses Harlem as an example

BUT, if you want to see HOOD, check out Brownsville section of Brooklyn.

Its about as safe as Demascus or Baghdad

I don't go through there with anything less than a battalion of frends and a tank
After minute 1:20 it sounds like bagdad, lol...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto