Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 10:31 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,356,909 times

Advertisements

well WTH does a rental car have to do with politics?
If it will save you $$$ on gas for the rental the go for it if not then find something else. enjoy your trip and who cares what people think it's a rental A-B car.

hell if you want a fun car for your trip rent a hertz shelby GT350 mustang convertible
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 10:33 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,391,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Anyways is it true that most people see the Prius as a very liberal car that people buy to show their political motivations such as tree huggers, showing oppostion to the war, etc.
Maybe some people. But seriously, to borrow a slogan from the NRA, cars don't have a political viewpoint, people do. There's no such thing as a conservative or liberal car. If someone wants to stereotype you based on the car you drive, that's their problem and not yours. Pick the best car for your situation and don't worry so much about labels.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:54 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,465,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Hey, my friends and I are renting a Prius for a 2 week cross country trip, going from Baltimore to Los Angeles and then back again. We decided on the a Prius because we reckon it might same us some money on gas because of the fuel efficiency, and because since its a rental we won't be responsible for maintenance or whatever.

Its suddenly crossed my mind however about the Prius's very liberal reputation, that its a car driven mostly by typical East Coast yuppies and liberal Democrats, especially those into trends and fads (fads like Obama, etc). We're nothing like that, and we'll be going through a lot of Middle America and the southern states. Are we going to be mistakened for the typical arrogant, pretentious East Coast liberal? I hope not because I'm nowhere near that kind of person. I am a patriotic conservative American from a blue collar family who voted for George Bush twice and also for McCain. I despise liberals actually since my grandfather escaped from communist China. My dream car, once I finish grad school and have the money will be either a large SUV like the Expedition, a Hummer, and/or a large Chevy pickup truck.

Maybe we should see if there are any McCain-Palin bumper stickers to be bought on Amazon, or maybe a Christian or Confederate bumper sticker...hmmm....

Anyways is it true that most people see the Prius as a very liberal car that people buy to show their political motivations such as tree huggers, showing oppostion to the war, etc.
I'm a Democrat and I wouldn't drive one if you gave it too me...I would sell it and purchase a Honda hybrid, anything but the death trap model (Prius)

Old 06-17-2010, 02:36 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,361,401 times
If this OP isn't just a flaming post, it's the saddest day this forum has seen still, at least the automotive section.

It can't possibly be serious though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I'm a Democrat and I wouldn't drive one if you gave it too me...I would sell it and purchase a Honda hybrid, anything but the death trap model (Prius)
You might want to inform yourself better on the model, find out what the real problem is. The Ford Focus, for one, has had recalls with far more dangerous results and potential results.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:09 AM

719 posts, read 2,668,405 times
What a dumb, mean-spirited post. To answer your question, yes, it has that reputation.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:56 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,762,305 times
I live in Tennessee and I see quite a few Priuses daily. Also, you may not be especially pleased to hear that, when an Asian customers enters our store, it is always my very conservative coworkers who talk badly about him/her after he/she leaves. My few liberal coworkers never act like that toward anyone. These are people you would probably admire if you came to visit, having no idea what they'd be saying about you behind your back.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:32 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,432,377 times
In DC and LA, I see people of all political persuasions driving Prius, mainly because they have the ability to use the carpool lanes with only one passenger if they have special-use tags that were issued before a certain date in LA and on one highway outside DC. It's not at all unfathomable to see people from all walks of life in one. They just stand out more than the other hybrids, but it's easy to find a "typical" diver of any car and assign it to them.

I don't let rental cars bother me, unless it's a safety issue.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-17-2010, 05:52 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,889,843 times
Shouldn't this crap be in the political forum? The topic's not about a car, it's about liberals vs conservatives.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:58 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,289,413 times
I do know that a higher proportion of Asian cars are sold on the coasts, whereas the middle of the country tends to buy more domestics. Perhaps that explains some of your perception.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:08 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,237,323 times
For a while I was almost certain the Priuses were coming out of the factory with a "Hope and Change" or "Obama '08" bumper sticker. However it turns out there is a "Coexist" sticker option as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion