Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 10:08 AM

17,679 posts, read 17,877,254 times

Advertisements

Which current Scion vehicles do you think Toyota should keep and what would you rename them?
I think they should consider keeping only the tC and iM. They could rename the tC as the Celica and the iM as the Matrix. The FRS is more Subaru than Toyota and the small sedan is a Mazda2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 10:15 AM

8,272 posts, read 11,053,769 times
In the beginning it was all demographics.

Toyota saw the average of a new car purchase getting older and older.

Someone at Toyota came up with a plan. Market budget cars to young people.

Except, Toyota found out that many of the buyers too were older people seeking a bargain car made by Toyota.

Money wasted on signs and such.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:16 AM

4,278 posts, read 8,202,111 times
I purchased a tC in 2005, and my wife currently drives a 2010 tC. Both cars were good cars. I loved mine at the time, it was very practical, quick for it's time, and looked great (had the red release series one... HOT!!) My wife loves hers to pieces as well.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:21 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,765,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Not surprised. I never thought Scion made sense.

To be perfectly honest... Toyota as a brand is rather boring. They have Lexus filling the luxury niche quite well, but for their bread and butter line... it's all way too bland. Having the Scion cars branded as Toyota would have given their lineup a shot in the arm I think.

Instead, they spun off a brand that never caught on with consumers. Toyota's lesson to be learned here is to not mess with a good thing. They've got great brand recognition with a reputation for reliability. It made no sense to create an entirely new subdivision with neither of those things going for it.
I think that's by design. To appeal to the masses you have to try to offend the least amount of people. The general public still loves Toyota even if car enthusiasts don't.

Toyota makes great soccer mom, grocery getter, highway cars.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:35 AM

17,679 posts, read 17,877,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
I think that's by design. To appeal to the masses you have to try to offend the least amount of people. The general public still loves Toyota even if car enthusiasts don't.

Toyota makes great soccer mom, grocery getter, highway cars.
Shame that the brand that gave us the 2000, Celica, Supra, and MR2 isn't even a car Guy's brand.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:41 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,106,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
The TC was a cool looking coupe, supposedly to replace the Celica, but the truth is it accelerated and handled like a minivan or a Corolla. Most people looking to buy in that segment wanted a little more performance bona fides.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
I purchased a tC in 2005, and my wife currently drives a 2010 tC. Both cars were good cars. I loved mine at the time, it was very practical, quick for it's time, and looked great (had the red release series one... HOT!!) My wife loves hers to pieces as well.
I had a 2008 tC. It was a great little car with the 5 speed. It was my first brand new car. I drove that car all over the place from Chicago to Georgia to California back to Chicago.

It was a reliable car, I traded it away in 2013 with about 60,000 miles on it. Only things I did were tires, brakes and oil. The latch to open the hatch was broken, common problem from what I understand now. The interior was quite spacious in that small car and I loved the panoramic roof.

I always thought they should've started with the 6 speed instead of the 5 speed. It did not get the type of mileage you'd expect from a 4 cylinder and at the same time you didn't get the expected acceleration, either. They did switch to the 6 speed with the redesign but by then I had already transitioned to a crossover.

It wouldn't be practical for me today as I have a wife, 6 month old baby and 2 dogs.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:47 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,765,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Shame that the brand that gave us the 2000, Celica, Supra, and MR2 isn't even a car Guy's brand.
Well they were never great sellers. The market spoke and they listened. They aren't really into building niche cars.

Toyota is not an enthusiast brand.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:53 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,798,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
What I find interesting is the with sister car to the Subaru BRZ people bought the BRZ but to so much the FSR. Same car different name, I can only guess that people seemed that they preferred the Subie.
Similar car, but the Subie has a few more creature comforts, and a negotiable price. But certainly the scion kids brand helped.

The great thing is, if Toyota doesn't bring the FRS over to Toyota, then maybe Subie can put a turbo on it, that car needs torque so bad.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:57 AM

17,432 posts, read 12,383,827 times
Having owned a 2000 Celica I certainly never considered the tC a replacement. It was just a 2 door version of a big heavy family sedan. Celica was so much lighter and more fun to drive while being able to squeeze out 40mpg highway.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:20 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,777,123 times
Scion might as well have died the minute they released the FRS with only 200HP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion