Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 06:08 PM

7,499 posts, read 7,190,021 times

Advertisements

Consumer Reports:

Lows:

- Fit and Finish, seriously this is a new Toyota right and fit and finish is poor?
- Ride
- Limited AWD functionality, seriously???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 12:56 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,949,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Consumer Reports:

Lows:

- Fit and Finish, seriously this is a new Toyota right and fit and finish is poor?
- Ride
Lower fit and finish quality is caused by rushed production in Toyota factories due to high demand. When assembly lines move too fast, more screws will be lose and forgot to tighten, leaving consumers making more unnecessary trips to Toyota dealer for service.

I think Honda's Alabama plant where Odyssey and Ridgeline are produced have the absolute worst track record of assembly quality, almost just as bleak as the 1970s Detroit dark days. Go Japanese is a huge waste of time now. Chevrolet is winning JD Power awards each day. Do you hear from Toyota or Honda?

Old 08-12-2019, 01:50 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,994,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan View Post
Lower fit and finish quality is caused by rushed production in Toyota factories due to high demand. When assembly lines move too fast, more screws will be lose and forgot to tighten, leaving consumers making more unnecessary trips to Toyota dealer for service.

I think Honda's Alabama plant where Odyssey and Ridgeline are produced have the absolute worst track record of assembly quality, almost just as bleak as the 1970s Detroit dark days. Go Japanese is a huge waste of time now. Chevrolet is winning JD Power awards each day. Do you hear from Toyota or Honda?
Ummm...a car made in America is not Japanese. Buy a real Japanese product and it's fine. My two Mazdas are made and sourced in Japan and have been great. Excellent

Old 08-12-2019, 01:57 AM

8,509 posts, read 4,752,974 times
Meanwhile, my Ohio built Japanese car is pretty damn solid at 182k.

A Japanese car is any which has its HQ in Japan, IMHO. That’s where the profits go.

Toyota isn’t what it used to be. My Ma had an ‘04 Sienna which was a bloody nightmare, but other Toyotas I have been around were great.

Meanwhile domestics have made good strides (ehh, maybe not Fiat Chrysler). Between the Japanese fade and the domestic surge, there’s not a huge difference anymore. Buy what you like, and call it a day.

Old 08-12-2019, 02:10 AM

12,477 posts, read 9,570,120 times
Quote:

JD Power's methodology is questionable at best. Honda's Ridgeline is the most reliable compact pickup going. I've seen you consistently bashing Japanese-brand vehicles and cheerleading for American-brand vehicles, disconnected from facts - what is your interest in this?

Old 08-12-2019, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Meanwhile domestics have made good strides (ehh, maybe not Fiat Chrysler). Between the Japanese fade and the domestic surge, there’s not a huge difference anymore. Buy what you like, and call it a day.
Second that... Some of the domestic cars still use cast-iron engine block. I think Chevrolet Sonic (which uses cast-iron engine block) is the biggest surprise in reliability/durability, and highest JD Power rating.

Last edited by waltchan; 08-12-2019 at 03:22 AM..

Old 08-12-2019, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
JD Power's methodology is questionable at best. Honda's Ridgeline is the most reliable compact pickup going. I've seen you consistently bashing Japanese-brand vehicles and cheerleading for American-brand vehicles, disconnected from facts - what is your interest in this?
Because our media is extremely biased and forces you to learn that Honda vehicles are still the best today, but carcomplaints.com say otherwise with too many "got you" reviews (which I think is far more accurate than biased Consumer Reports):

https://www.carcomplaints.com/recent_trends/

See also my individual post written in other thread of my story:

//www.city-data.com/forum/55883822-post19.html

Last edited by waltchan; 08-12-2019 at 03:23 AM..

Old 08-12-2019, 04:18 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,643,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Consumer Reports:

Lows:

- Ride
Yet 5 years from now when you look at Consumer Reports reliability surveys for 2019 models the RAV4 will still come out on top.

Old 08-12-2019, 04:21 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,643,059 times
Quote:

I’m sorry but those JDPower ‘initial quality’ surveys are meaningless. I’ve seen several models win that award only to turn out to be total garbage a few years later.

Old 08-12-2019, 06:57 AM

996 posts, read 379,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Yet 5 years from now when you look at Consumer Reports reliability surveys for 2019 models the RAV4 will still come out on top.
I have had a 2019 RAV 4 ( non Hybrid ) for 3 months. No problems at all. Fit and finish are fine. Solid and comfortable ride.
Great gas mileage, better than my old 2009 Corolla.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion