Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 08:52 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,011,782 times

Advertisements

I really like the way the new Rav4 looks and consider it the front runner for what we plan on buying my daughter when she reaches driving age. I'm not worried about what car critics have to say. I've had good experiences with Toyotas and as long as I like their offering in whatever class of vehicle I'm considering I'll give it the first look over other brands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 12:07 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,949,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I really like the way the new Rav4 looks and consider it the front runner for what we plan on buying my daughter when she reaches driving age. I'm not worried about what car critics have to say. I've had good experiences with Toyotas and as long as I like their offering in whatever class of vehicle I'm considering I'll give it the first look over other brands.
Remember to consult this page before driving home with your new RAV4. Past experience is bad habit, and does not guarantee future results. Automakers change designs all the time in order to reduce production costs.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Toyota...r_speeds.shtml

Or better yet, maybe there are some demos of 2018 RAV4 with less than 2,000 miles for sale at your local Toyota dealer. That would be a much better choice for reliability, and in high-demand after more people read the negatives with 2019.

Old 08-14-2019, 12:15 PM

8,509 posts, read 4,752,974 times
I’ve had good and bad with Toyota reliability. My Mom’s ‘04 Sienna was a disaster from day one, quite literally. It was back the day after ink was dried to have the AC system replaced. It went on to have folding seat problems, and anonymous traction control/ABS/AWD issues. It was traded at 19k before anything else could fail. But the beater Toyota Echo I got for free (!) gave me 70,000 miles for under $800 excluding insurance and fuel. I could have repaired it the final time for about $40 and an afternoon, but at 270k, I was ready for something else.

Old 08-14-2019, 12:23 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,568,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan View Post
Remember to consult this page before driving home with your new RAV4. Past experience is bad habit, and does not guarantee future results. Automakers change designs all the time in order to reduce production costs.

Or better yet, maybe there are some demos of 2018 RAV4 with less than 2,000 miles for sale at your local Toyota dealer. That would be a much better choice for reliability, and in high-demand after more people read the negatives with 2019.
Oh please, you put in any car in that site and you got complaints that is what the site is for. Even your favorite car I bet has complaints. 21 complaints means nothing. Up into the hundreds or thousands then yes, that would mean something. My 2010 corolla has a bunch of issues according to that site, but I have never had one and my neighbor has a 2011 and had never had an issue.

Old 08-14-2019, 01:46 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,011,782 times
Quote:

Not worried. Not even a little. It'll be a couple years before I have to take that plunge anyway. I don't consider Toyota infallible but I've had issues with other brands too. Or watched my friends have issues with brands I've personally never owned. Lesson here: pick what you like and know regardless of make/model it may well give you some problems sooner or later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Oh please, you put in any car in that site and you got complaints that is what the site is for. Even your favorite car I bet has complaints. 21 complaints means nothing. Up into the hundreds or thousands then yes, that would mean something. My 2010 corolla has a bunch of issues according to that site, but I have never had one and my neighbor has a 2011 and had never had an issue.
Exactly. At work I recently got audited by a higher authority and their report made it look like we weren't doing our job. They didn't register discrepancies against a scale, or share the scope of their audit (which was actually quite extensive) they simply spelled out discrepancies. Of course we're going to look bad when it's reported like that. Of course a site designed specifically for complaints is going to make any make/model look bad. If you consider only the few complaints and not the few complaints against the thousands of units sold in a year...

Old 08-14-2019, 01:55 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,949,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I recently lease a new 2018 Audi A6 FWD 2.0L I4 turbo (with cast-iron engine block) that is showing huge potential being gold-certified by carcomplaints.com. I'm taking my big bet and trust that this latest Audi design is more-reliable and more-durable than Lexus now, and we'll see a few years later down the road. It definitely drives like a Lexus vehicle built from mid-1990s before, that was also gold-certified by carcomplaints.com.

Old 08-14-2019, 06:28 PM

7,499 posts, read 7,190,021 times
Very point.

As Consumer Reports highlights, the RAV4 is not what it use to be, yet Toyota diehards will always justify their purchase no matter what the experts say.

Quote:

Old 08-14-2019, 08:25 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,643,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Very point.

As Consumer Reports highlights, the RAV4 is not what it use to be, yet Toyota diehards will always justify their purchase no matter what the experts say.
Give it about five more years, and the 2019 RAV4 will be on Consumer Report’s “best used SUV” list.

Old 08-15-2019, 03:55 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,661,022 times
Well, I have no issues or complaints with mine, at least not yet. We'll see how everything goes over time.

Old 08-15-2019, 06:31 AM

996 posts, read 379,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Give it about five more years, and the 2019 RAV4 will be on Consumer Report’s “best used SUV” list.
Of course. Looking at a website of “ complaints “ for knowledge is just plain foolish. Some of the complaints on that site were after 2 miles and 10 miles. Consumer Reports publishes “ used cars to avoid”. I don’t think I have ever seen a Toyota product listed there, and if it was , it was a very rare occurrence.

I will use my knowledge and experience with the 10 Toyota products I have owned rather then some comments on the web. Hundreds of thousands of miles. Only once was a car towed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion