Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2010, 03:39 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,424,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Obama rightly takes the heat for a lot of things, but to blame him for this is a stretch. Toyota has mishandled this situation. Its their fault. My Dodge will still be running strong when your Toyota is rusting away on the scrap heap.
HA HA!! Not going to happen. Go look now, That cheap Dodge already started, (don't have to look far either)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post
I guess all of these unintended acceleration incidents now explain the meaning of Toyota's slogan "Moving Forward". I've owned all kinds of vehicles, the smallest sports cars on the market, a 500hp+ Viper, 350 lb sportbikes....and the only vehicle that I'm afraid to drive is a Toyota. I guess I just value my life too much.

In my opinion it's especially selfish for anyone with family members to risk putting them in a Toyota with all of the information that is out now.
It's called paranoia, my friend..... You'll be ok. There are pills for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
I'd confidently put up my Jeep cherokee (XJ) against any toyota on longevity any day of the week and twice on sunday.
You lost that bet. Hand over the keys!!! (and let me call the tow truck)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 04:36 PM

2,168 posts, read 3,388,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I think this whole recall thing is way overblown and the Obama administration is doing its best to drag Toyota through the mud as a favor to its cronies at the UAW and Government Motors.

Toyota makes among the most reliable cars on the road, and I will continue to drive them. My Toyota will be running strong when Government Motors junkers are in the shop or on the scrap heap.
Don't let the reputation of Toyotas from 15-20 years ago delude you into thinking current Toyotas will last as long. Toyotas today are not as reliable as they used to be. Cost cutting is evident throughout.

It's funny that, for the last 20 years you Toyota guys have always had the media on your side. Toyota could do nothing wrong. Even during their peak when they had issues such as sludging engines, it was brushed off or barely covered by the media. Now that some high profile accidents and secretive documents have exposed Toyota and woken up a slumbering media, it's suddenly a big government conspiracy.

If they don't own up to their mistakes, they will never learn from them. It took Ford and GM 30+ years to figure that out. Toyota owners pandering to corporate and not calling them out on the mistakes made are doing nothing more than telling them it's ok to rest on laurels and a 20 year old reputation.

Old 03-06-2010, 04:40 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
Quote:
I guess all of these unintended acceleration incidents now explain the meaning of Toyota's slogan "Moving Forward". I've owned all kinds of vehicles, the smallest sports cars on the market, a 500hp+ Viper, 350 lb sportbikes....and the only vehicle that I'm afraid to drive is a Toyota. I guess I just value my life too much.

In my opinion it's especially selfish for anyone with family members to risk putting them in a Toyota with all of the information that is out now.
Has your Toyota ever given you any problem? Has it ever shown any tendency to accelerate by itself? My guess is no. Quit being so damn paranoid. You are more likely to die from a drunk driver than from your Toyota.

Old 03-06-2010, 05:05 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,424,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang84 View Post
Don't let the reputation of Toyotas from 15-20 years ago delude you into thinking current Toyotas will last as long. Toyotas today are not as reliable as they used to be. Cost cutting is evident throughout.

It's funny that, for the last 20 years you Toyota guys have always had the media on your side. Toyota could do nothing wrong. Even during their peak when they had issues such as sludging engines, it was brushed off or barely covered by the media. Now that some high profile accidents and secretive documents have exposed Toyota and woken up a slumbering media, it's suddenly a big government conspiracy.

If they don't own up to their mistakes, they will never learn from them. It took Ford and GM 30+ years to figure that out. Toyota owners pandering to corporate and not calling them out on the mistakes made are doing nothing more than telling them it's ok to rest on laurels and a 20 year old reputation.

Man, oh man. Those 30 years of GM and Ford trying to figure things out really got to you, didn't they?

Old 03-06-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Man, oh man. Those 30 years of GM and Ford trying to figure things out really got to you, didn't they?
Nope, just calling it like it I see it.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:16 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,475,771 times
Toyota Disputes Critic Who Blames Electronics (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Toyota-disputes-critic-who-apf-2190240904.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=3&asset=&cc ode= - broken link)

Toyota will aim to duplicate the scenario created by David W. Gilbert, a professor at Southern Illinois University Carbondale. Gilbert told Congress on Feb. 23 that he was able to recreate sudden acceleration in a Toyota vehicle by manipulating its electronics.

The company is calling in the director of Stanford University's Center for Automotive Research to try to refute the claims. Toyota said Stanford professor Chris Gerdes will show that the malfunctions Gilbert produced "are completely unrealistic under real-world conditions and can easily be reproduced on a wide range of vehicles made by other manufacturers."

Stanford's Center for Automotive Research is funded by a group of auto companies, including Toyota.

Toyota also has hired a consulting firm to study whether electronic problems could cause unintended acceleration. The firm, Exponent Inc., released an interim report that has found no link between the two.

<more>

Old 03-06-2010, 09:21 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,040,765 times
Quote:

This, is an example of the hysteria involved in this whole thing.

Ludicrous, irrational and totally unsupported by statistics.

But, the folks around here are eating it up.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
This, is an example of the hysteria involved in this whole thing.

Ludicrous, irrational and totally unsupported by statistics.

But, the folks around here are eating it up.
Not much different than the folks around here that turn a blind eye to Toyota's declining quality because they had a good experience with a ten year old Toyota product. Even prior to the recalls, Consumer Reports stopped recommending the Camry V6 in 2008 due to problems with the transmission slipping in 2nd gear. Add in widespread frame rust, tailgates that are made of tin, sunroofs that shatter, Tacoma ball joints that snap, engines that sludge, and now UA...Toyota has a long list of skeletons in its closet that are finally coming to light.

Old 03-07-2010, 02:45 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,040,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang84 View Post
Not much different than the folks around here that turn a blind eye to Toyota's declining quality because they had a good experience with a ten year old Toyota product. Even prior to the recalls, Consumer Reports stopped recommending the Camry V6 in 2008 due to problems with the transmission slipping in 2nd gear. Add in widespread frame rust, tailgates that are made of tin, sunroofs that shatter, Tacoma ball joints that snap, engines that sludge, and now UA...Toyota has a long list of skeletons in its closet that are finally coming to light.
I was not speaking to recent perceived degradation of Toyota quality. I was speaking to the hysteria surrounding the recall, as evidenced by NSX's irrational feelings.

I have old cars, average age of over a quarter century, so I have the luxury of seeing how cars hold up over time. 10 years from now I may buy a Fusion, or a Altima or a Matrix, we shall see how things shake out.

Old 03-07-2010, 03:38 PM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,168,598 times
What's irrational about someone not wanting to buy a car make that has caused 275+ crashes and 20+ deaths from unintended acceleration? Please fill us in.

I could never put my family at that kind of risk. It may never happen to you, but the chance is big enough that I'm not willing to take it. I'm sure the none of the 275 drivers of the runaway Toyotas were not expecting it to happen to them either.

There are plenty of superior alternatives to Toyota/Lexus anyway, like BMW, Ford, Honda, Mercedes Benz, etc that people are finding that it really makes no sense to buy one anymore. The Toyota showrooms around here are empty and for good reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion