Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2010, 10:55 AM

2,544 posts, read 4,283,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
GM Recalls 1.3 Million Cars: What's Behind All These Vehicle Recalls? - DailyFinance

Why isn't there a government witch hunt against GM? Oh, I forgot, because the UAW is in bed with the democrats, and <gasp> Toyota employees aren't forced to pay extortion money...er, I mean dues.....to a union.

Also, it could be because it is actually shocking that there's a recall on Toyota vehicles...with GM, recalls and quality issues are pretty much a regular occurrence.
How many deaths were caused by those problems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 10:59 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
How many deaths were caused by those problems?
I see a child died last year as a result of those faulty windows. That should be enough to have people up in arms...oh, I forgot, the UAW got their extortion money from the paychecks of the people that built those GM cars, so its not a big deal.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:02 AM

Don't look now, a recall on Ford hybrids!
Ford Recall On Hybrid Brakes ~ Hybrid Car Review

I wonder which option package you need to order to get the GM "spontaneous combustion" feature?
http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/04/14/gm.recall/index.html

Hey, this 2009 Dodge Journey would be perfect for a guy named Beavis...driving around saying "fire! fire! fire!"
http://blogs.internetautoguide.com/6...ire/index.html
http://www.injuryboard.com/national-news/group-urges-jeep-recall-over-fire-danger.aspx?googleid=272150 (broken link)
http://auto.freedomblogging.com/2009...le-fire/21137/

Old 03-08-2010, 11:17 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,093,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I love all the backyard engineers in here.
I know, its hilarious.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:25 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,224,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I love all the backyard engineers in here.
Are you being sarcastic? There are several very real engineers on this forum including myself. Plenty of expert opinion to be found here and just because you don't agree with all of it does not make it false.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:30 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,875,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Are you being sarcastic? There are several very real engineers on this forum including myself.
Really? Which railroad?

Old 03-08-2010, 11:31 AM

2,168 posts, read 3,388,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Something to enjoy: Eat your hearts out people.

Source: Auto Recalls - Car, Truck & Vehicle Safety Recalls - Justia

Buick- 765
Cadillac- 518
Chevorlet-3524
GMC- 2745
Oldsmobile- 578
Pontiac- 928
Saturn-230
Hummer-38
Total GM recalls= 9,326

Chrysler- 661
Dodge- 2599
Jeep-754
Total = 4,014

Ford-4757
Licoln-207
Mercury-781
Total=5745

Honda-1019
Acura-228
Total= 1247

Toyota- 669
Lexus- 164
Total= 833

People making a fuss over Toyota, for what? Get a life.

All your rambling can stop right here. I know some of nutwingers are going to get on the defensive now.

Next thing, some will say...they're lying...
This says nothing.

1) Toyota didn't start selling vehicles in large numbers in the states until the early to mid 80s, therefore they will obviously have fewer recalls. How far do these recalls go back, the 1960s?

2) Until the last decade, Toyota has historically had fewer models than the Big Three. At its peak, GM had about 80 different vehicles. Statistically, more vehicles and more market share = more recalls.

3) This only quantifies total # of recalls, many of which are minor and not worth noting. How many of those recalls were serious defects that affected driveability or safety of the vehicle? A better comparison would be to tally the total number of vehicles recalled for serious defects per manufacturer.

Until you can answer those questions, this comparison is bunk.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:54 PM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,168,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang84 View Post
This says nothing.

1) Toyota didn't start selling vehicles in large numbers in the states until the early to mid 80s, therefore they will obviously have fewer recalls. How far do these recalls go back, the 1960s?

2) Until the last decade, Toyota has historically had fewer models than the Big Three. At its peak, GM had about 80 different vehicles. Statistically, more vehicles and more market share = more recalls.

3) This only quantifies total # of recalls, many of which are minor and not worth noting. How many of those recalls were serious defects that affected driveability or safety of the vehicle? A better comparison would be to tally the total number of vehicles recalled for serious defects per manufacturer.

Until you can answer those questions, this comparison is bunk.
Very well said. The question isn't how many recalls a car has had, but deadly recalls (like Toyota). My Corvette Z06 had a steering column lock recall, Lotus had an ECU dump recall...minor things like this can't be compared to the unintended acceleration found in Toyotas.

Deepcynic, if you're looking for a daily driver, the best choice from the ones you listed is the Ford Fusion. My DD is a '10 Ford Fusion sport, with the 263 hp engine and full sync system. For long trips there isn't anything that could be better and it never gets boring. Don't get a Matrix or anything like that, you'll probably end up regretting it.

For what it's worth, I'm not a "backyard" engineer, I'm a real engineer who has been working with large scale vehicle systems for years and, I would argue, understands vehicle software as well as anyone else on this forum. The reason why I warn about the dangers of Toyotas is because I care.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:07 PM

If only dangerous recalls count, it seems the "Big 3" has had their share of cars that could catch fire...

Or exploding gas tanks in a collision (Pinto)...

I don't think anyone is disputing that there's been some problems with Toyotas lately, but the truth is that recalls, even serious ones, have happened to all makes and models of vehicles...it seems this Toyota recall is being blown up into a big media and government frenzy compared to past deadly recalls on domestic vehicles. There does seem to be some sort of witch hunt, and given the fact that we have a democratic president and a democratic Congress, and the democrats are in bed with the UAW, it doesn't seem to be much of a stretch to call it a witch hunt.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:15 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,424,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
^ Those include recalls from far enough back that Toyota wasn't even for sale here in the states.
uh huh..... (Bring on the excuses. We've been waiting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
As said, everyone has their faults. I would personally stick with the car and let them work through the fix. The biggest issue that I have with the whole thing is how it was handled from day one. Toyota and to a lesser extent Honda keep their reps sterling by covering up known problems and not issueing recalls unless forced to do so. Toyota tried to dance around the issue (still are to an extent) and are getting exactly what they deserve in the end.

Toyota quality has been slipping the past few years regardless of the gas pedal/sensor issue. I still think they are higher up the reliability chain then some of the other options, but they aren't the kings of reliability they used to be and have been coasting on a fabricated reputation.

With all that said, if you are angry enough to take a financial loss on a relatively new vehicle, then go for it, I would just caution that the grass may not be much greener in other pastures, especially in the compact market. Just don't think you are sticking it to them in anyway.

Another piece of advice may be to find a different dealer. Toyota dealer's are getting swamped right now and the shops are having trouble keeping up. The dealer generally has more of an impact on a customer's experience than the nameplate. If you're dealer isn't giving you the level of service you expect, find one that will.
Sensible post.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion