Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 11:48 AM

16,394 posts, read 30,296,637 times

Advertisements

I do not want to stay with relatives - either mine or my in-laws.

In both cases, the beds are twin beds and the mattresses have not been replaced in 50 years and are terribly uncomfortable. At one time, we considered replacing them ourselves but not at this point.

Also, nine people to one bathroom is just too much.

With Priceline, I can always get a room down the street for $30-35 that is convenient and comfortable.

I am sure that there will be some squawking about not staying at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 12:01 PM

899 posts, read 2,943,700 times
Always a hotel or motel....

Old 06-20-2010, 12:53 PM

699 posts, read 1,015,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by email_lover View Post
My husband and I are going up to PA next month to visit his very large family. The rest of his brothers and sisters who live all over the Mid Atlantic area are going to all stay (and attempt to sleep) at his parents house. They live in a very small 1950s era rambler with three bedrooms. 14 people will be staying at the house.

My husband and I love to TRAVEL to visit friends and relatives but want to stay at a motel or hotel and then go over to the friends house late in the morning after a good nights sleep. This always causes severe conflict with friends and family. They insist we stay with them and we insist we stay at a hotel. But sides get angry after the insisting is done.

My brothers parents and siblings are especially angry that we stay in a hotel instead of their home. So one time we backed down and stayed at their house and slept on the air mattress. Trouble was neither of us slept a wink and there was noise in the house 22 hours of the day.

How about you, when you travel to visit friends and family, are you pushed to stay with them even though you would prefer to stay in a motel? If you do stay with family or friends can you sleep well in the guest room?
It depends.....I have one friend who has a huge house and when I visit them,
I have my own bed and bathroom and a lot of privacy and that is great for both parties. Outside of these friends, I almost always prefer hotel for the same reason that many others have posted. It is just way more comfortable. Once, after dh and I spent three days (of 7 vacation days) with my sister, her dh and their three cats, we left for a hotel because we both developed flu symptoms we think from cat allergies. Sister was VERY disappointed but we left anyway. She got over it. Good luck with your decision.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:13 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamh View Post
Always a hotel or motel....
Me too! I've taken a personal vow to never again sleep on anyone's tired, old mattress. If the relatives think I'm cranky after a day of seeing the Bee Museum they are going to hate me in the morning if my back hurts.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:28 PM

2,015 posts, read 3,381,849 times
So none of you have relatives with a decent bed and mattress?

Old 06-20-2010, 03:47 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times
^I personally can't see it as any different as staying in a hotel, other than you have privacy and an attached toilet and shower that you need not share.

I have always felt strange the first few times I sleep somewhere different than the place I'd been sleeping in. I wake up and I don't know where I am for a few minutes.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:15 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,067,847 times
It depends on the accomodations that can be provided. If it's an air mattress or lumpy sofa bed or the double bed in the musty basement "spare bedroom," or there will be six adults sharing a single bathroom, then get me to a hotel!

But if it's in a nice home with a private bedroom and bath for guests, I'd love it!

We have a true guest bedroom, complete with a TV with cable, closet with padded and wooden hangers, a spa style robe, and a luggage rack, and a private bath in it's own wing of the house. The mattress is a plush pillowtop and there are extra pillows and an extra blanket in the closet as well. There's also a pack-n-play with sheets and a blanket for those traveling with little ones. I want my guests to feel comfortable and welcomed.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:32 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,061,361 times
I always stay at motels when visiting relatives and friends. No other way.

Besides, I'm a smoker.

And smoking in my own house, along with being a 2X-a-year-house-cleaner,
helps keeps them away. But I extend the invitation anyway: You're always welcome to stay at my house!

No takers! And, strangely, hypocritically, even though I'm a smoker, I don't want other smokers in my house! One smoker is enough!

Old 06-21-2010, 01:40 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
So none of you have relatives with a decent bed and mattress?
No. They are too 'close'.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:03 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,193,635 times
Depends upon the friend or the family. Most are fine, and have good accomodations. Some are just too crowded, so a motel does just fine as well. I usually sleep equally well (badly) in either. As far as family at who's house I wouldn't want to stay? Shoot, if I don't want to or be willing to stay with them, that usually means I don't really want to see them, either.

It's just too bad the original OP's family gets bent over it. I guess the family is viewing it as rejecting family?

My family just views it as rejecting sleeping on the floor...and understands that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel