Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 03:30 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times

Advertisements

I think staying with friends is fun, and I've had them stay with me. I think it depends to a point who the person is also. Another thing is that I tend to travel alone so if I crash at a friend's house for a couple nights its a lot of fun. If I were to go with my girlfriend I'd definitely want a hotel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 03:33 PM

2,015 posts, read 3,380,925 times
My dh and I stay 3 - 4 weeks with my family over xmas every year. We split the time between 2 houses (siblings). Every year we are invited to spend the entire time at each person's house. We're popular! So we spend 1/2 the time at one house and 1/2 at the other. Works great!

Old 06-21-2010, 04:20 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,054 times
If (and only if) I get a separate bedroom/bathroom, I will gladly stay, following the "fish rule", though.

If not, I won't, not just bc of myself, but mostly not to inconvenience my hosts.

And I seldom invite people over, unless I can offer proper accommodations. I don't want to be the whiny friend/relative that gets upset if someone does not stay at my house. I would like to have my visitors over of course, but ultimately it is their holiday, they have the right to spend it as they like.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:26 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,929,780 times
I'd rather sleep on a bed of nails with lit matches in my toes listening to Moldovian folk music (not that there's anything wrong with that) than stay with relatives. Friends, maybe, BUT..

We used to stay with friends on a regular basis when we visited CA. We slept in their spare bedroom. We came back one day to find it completely tidied. Our friend said she thought it'd be nicer for us. Well yeah, but it's kinda our private space (we thought) and she isn't a maid.
If I'm on vacation, I like to just leave a room how it is and go. After that, we tidied the room each morning before leaving for the day.
I appreciated her thoughts but hotels for me from now on baby!

Old 06-21-2010, 05:11 PM

202 posts, read 484,520 times
I dont know what it is like not to stay with family when I visit. I live in MA, and so does my mom. The extended family lives in VA. We have always stayed at a relatives house when we visited, and i'm not quite sure how they would take it if we all of a sudden did not stay at someone's house.

I must say though, I DO prefer hotels. It's peaceful, you get your own bathroom, you can watch what you want on TV, and when you are tired of the family, you can leave and go back to the hotel. LOL I swear, i DO want to try it one day. I just dont know what i will say. LOL

Old 06-21-2010, 05:18 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,469,103 times
It depends on the house and the person. More and more we find that we are more comfortable at a hotel, then staying with a ton of people in a small house. Or if it's a big house, but a particular occupant is, let's say, paranoid schizo, then we rather be at a hotel. So hotels (for us) are better.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:35 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winecountry1 View Post
I dont know what it is like not to stay with family when I visit. I live in MA, and so does my mom. The extended family lives in VA. We have always stayed at a relatives house when we visited, and i'm not quite sure how they would take it if we all of a sudden did not stay at someone's house.

I must say though, I DO prefer hotels. It's peaceful, you get your own bathroom, you can watch what you want on TV, and when you are tired of the family, you can leave and go back to the hotel. LOL I swear, i DO want to try it one day. I just dont know what i will say. LOL
This is my thing--I'm going to be in and out all day. Perhaps I will rise before anyone else is awake. Perhaps I won't be back until 2 a.m. I don't want to do that to a relative. Staying with a relative--or a friend--I have to show some consideration for THEIR schedule. And I don't want to be "stuck" at their place all day while they go off to work. Unless, perhaps, I'm sleeping. As it is, I'm having to change my whole schedule around to accommodate the something like 90% of people out there. Most people are asleep between like...midnight and 6 a.m., let's say. I'm normally awake. I work those hours, and I like to keep those hours on the weekends too. There are few people willing to "close down the bar" (it's my vacation, I'm going to try to find karaoke--I'm not going out to drink).

Point is: you could say you don't want to stay there out of consideration for them.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:07 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Depends on who it is and how many are staying. If we go to hub's parents; it's a hotel because it's 3 of us; if it's just him going, he stays with them. It would be the same if we went to mine.

Someone I know recently stayed with a relative. The relatives house was used as a hotel room; all this person did was sleep there, went out sight seeing & eating out all day. Never did the "guest" offer to take the relative out to dinner or spend time with them; nor did they send a thank you card. The relative will say no next time because they feel used..

Old 06-22-2010, 07:52 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,380,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Depends on who it is and how many are staying. If we go to hub's parents; it's a hotel because it's 3 of us; if it's just him going, he stays with them. It would be the same if we went to mine.

Someone I know recently stayed with a relative. The relatives house was used as a hotel room; all this person did was sleep there, went out sight seeing & eating out all day. Never did the "guest" offer to take the relative out to dinner or spend time with them; nor did they send a thank you card. The relative will say no next time because they feel used..
I stay with relatives because I am there to see them, not to be a tourist. Can't be a tourist in SE Michigan in winter can I?

I've had quite a few friends and family visit us in Scotland and they stay at our house, but if they did what the above person did, it would be the last time.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:24 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Depends upon the friend or the family. Most are fine, and have good accomodations. Some are just too crowded, so a motel does just fine as well. I usually sleep equally well (badly) in either. As far as family at who's house I wouldn't want to stay? Shoot, if I don't want to or be willing to stay with them, that usually means I don't really want to see them, either.

It's just too bad the original OP's family gets bent over it. I guess the family is viewing it as rejecting family?

My family just views it as rejecting sleeping on the floor...and understands that.
There's a big difference between seeing people and staying with them. I won't stay at a house that's dirty (I have very high housekeeping standards), or where the people smoke, or if there are going to be too many others sharing one bathroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel