Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 08:30 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delany View Post
I wonder what kind of people take the train in the US
Probably the kind of people who don't want to be treated like this.

YouTube - Delta Flight from HELL pt4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 09:35 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
In addition to the Northeast corridor, Amtrak's service on the Pacific Surfliner route is pretty good. It has the highest ridership of a Amtrak line outside the Northeast and is on time over 90% of the time now (used to suffer chronic delays). It operates between San Luis Obispo and San Diego, CA. Most of the frequency is between Los Angeles and San Diego though as only some trains continue past L.A. to San Luis Obispo.

Trip time on Amtrak is 2 hours and 40 minutes between L.A. and San Diego's downtowns. Drive time is about 2 hours without traffic (which is rare) and 3 hours 30 minutes with traffic (much more common for L.A. and So Cal).

Its also popular because while Interstate 5 between L.A. and San Diego is inland most of the trip, the Amtrak Pacific Surfliner is right up against the ocean from the Dana Point to San Diego portions of the route. The views are beautiful!
I use the Surfliner relatively frequently for work due to Metrolink's limited hours of operation between Fullerton and San Juan. Too bad it does not service Mission Viejo as that is where I work but at least there is bus service from SJC that gets me into MV. I doubt that I'd use Amtrak to travel up north to San Francisco or out of state as I value the efficiency of airplane travel and the cost is not significantly cheaper.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:26 AM

18 posts, read 28,527 times
Default For the sheer joy of Travelling

I think most of the people in US have never rode a train. I am from a country where train is still the most effective form of travel (although sometimes it can be horrible). The best way to see a new place in my opinion is, in order of merit, Walking> Motorbiking> Driving a car> Train >>> Flying. If you can't drive or don't want to drive, take the train. US has some of the best train rides in the world and I am waiting for my opportunity to get on them.

Finding the Charm of Cross-Country Rail Travel - NYTimes.com

Old 02-04-2011, 01:04 PM

185 posts, read 350,171 times
You can't really compare Amtrak to flying... it's really like Apples to Oranges.
People who like to ride Amtrak for long distances share a lot of the same views as people who prefer taking cross country car rides.
Some of Amtrak's ridership also is composed of people who don't want to fly or can't afford to, yet don't want to/can't drive, but at the same time don't want to take the bus.
Although AA says the flight is 2.5 hrs, that time doesn't include driving to the airport, parking, baggage check, security, baggage claim, car rental/taxi/transit tickets, and riding to your final destination. Most of these cost extra too and (except security) are likely to be found riding Amtrak as well (but not as costly or time consuming).
Amtrak may seem slower than a car ride, but beyond the "lodging limit", it actually becomes faster and sometimes cheaper. Keep in mind that some of Amtrak's routes aren't always the most direct route between point A and point D.
Comparing Amtrak's shorter routes like the NEC, Pacific Surfliner, Cascades or the Lincoln Service to flying is just stupid, as the distances are too short for flying to be a practical option (especially after 9/11). These distances (around 200-500 miles) usually are in competition with driving or buses, but are usually too long for a practical car ride.
Overseas, the usual solution to this is High Speed Rail. But we haven't really built that yet...
Lastly, although not always practiced, riding on an overnight train can combine lodging with travel, if the train arrives at your destination in the morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel