Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 08:46 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,296,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Look at Coca-Cola.
Coca-Cola is yet another reason to leave the country! The Coke everywhere, except the US, contains real sugar not high fructose corn syrup. The taste is so much better. Luckily, with my proximity to Mexico, I can get sugar Coke whenever I want. I have maybe one Coke a month..I'm going to make sure it contains sugar!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 08:50 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,478,177 times
Just had to share this with you all: Real-life Sybil Fawlty dies aged 95 | Television & radio | guardian.co.uk

Old 09-16-2010, 08:58 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,950,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Coca-Cola is yet another reason to leave the country! The Coke everywhere, except the US, contains real sugar not high fructose corn syrup. The taste is so much better. Luckily, with my proximity to Mexico, I can get sugar Coke whenever I want. I have maybe one Coke a month..I'm going to make sure it contains sugar!
Screw that, American way is so much better than real sugar, and the fructose is better for you. Look how poorly the Mountain Dew throwback did.. because real sugar sucks in drinks! Americans got it right in most things.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:58 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,727,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
if you are in Rome and see a restaurant with a menu posted with a bunch of English on it, keep walking.

Out of this entire thread this is the best comment. And something I plan on living by when we finally get to Europe.

I will, as always, meet people, make friends, and let them take us to the places that we should go for food and entertainment.

As Mrs. Tek says, I have never met a stranger.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:11 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,296,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Screw that, American way is so much better than real sugar, and the fructose is better for you. Look how poorly the Mountain Dew throwback did.. because real sugar sucks in drinks! Americans got it right in most things.
They use HFCS because it's cheaper. Your body doesn't know how to process chemicals. There is a reason every single other country banned the use of HFCS in everything from soft drinks to candy bars. Americans don't care about what they consume and their consumption of food products (not food) shows up in their waistlines and health. Clearly, you don't know the science behind HFCS...no food should be made in a lab!

Old 09-16-2010, 09:54 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,950,949 times
Quote:
They use HFCS because it's cheaper. Your body doesn't know how to process chemicals. There is a reason every single other country banned the use of HFCS in everything from soft drinks to candy bars. Americans don't care about what they consume and their consumption of food products (not food) shows up in their waistlines and health. Clearly, you don't know the science behind HFCS...no food should be made in a lab!
I actually do know the science behind it

Old 09-16-2010, 10:38 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,254,176 times
Quote:
There is no proof of any discenable difference to your body whether you get sugar from cane or corn. If you like the taste better that is one thing, but there is no proof one is better than another...that I haven't seen refuted.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:41 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,465,881 times
Coca Cola tastes different in Europe depending on which country you're in, I have noticed that. And also the fast food restaurants are usually pretty busy. Although out of all the times I have been in Europe I have never been curious enough to make a taste test comparison between our BigMac and their BigMac. They also serve some different additions to their McDonald's menu in other countries around the world that we don't have in the USA, they had some asian burger offering when I was in Austria last month - I was curious but didn't even think about eating there. I haven't been to any fast food restaurants this year in the USA either.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:54 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,042,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
There is no proof of any discenable difference to your body whether you get sugar from cane or corn. If you like the taste better that is one thing, but there is no proof one is better than another...that I haven't seen refuted.
Yeah, I think sugar is sugar--but I do try to avoid HFCS, which should be easier to do than it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Coca Cola tastes different in Europe depending on which country you're in, I have noticed that.
Maybe it's because of the tiny amount of ice they use in Europe!
Quote:
I haven't been to any fast food restaurants this year in the USA either.
Ditto

Old 09-16-2010, 03:21 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,934,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Coca Cola tastes different in Europe depending on which country you're in, I have noticed that. And also the fast food restaurants are usually pretty busy. Although out of all the times I have been in Europe I have never been curious enough to make a taste test comparison between our BigMac and their BigMac. They also serve some different additions to their McDonald's menu in other countries around the world that we don't have in the USA, they had some asian burger offering when I was in Austria last month - I was curious but didn't even think about eating there. I haven't been to any fast food restaurants this year in the USA either.
That is because different countries have different tastes. For example, Americans like their chocolate sweeter than Europeans. Try a kitkat made by Nestle for the European market (you can get them in World Market) with a kitkat made by Hershey for the US market. They are quite different and the American one is much sweeter than the European one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel