Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 08:56 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,312,966 times

Advertisements

It's been a fanatasy of mine to visit Sweden. Right now, I'm young and single, so I figure it's the perfect time to go.

Do any of you have any advice about taking a trip to Stockholm? When's the best time of year to go? Is it easy to navigate for an English-speaking American? Which places should I see? Which places should I avoid?

I plan on learning a little bit of the language before I go. I'd ultimately like to become fluent. If I enjoy the country during my visit, I may consider relocating there. Over the past few years, I've become obsessed with this country and its culture. My heritage is part Swedish and I definitely look the part (blonde hair, blue eyes). Though I'm sure it has its problems, the country just seems perfect in so many ways.

What do you guys think? Have you been there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 12:49 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,750,953 times
Great place. Everyone speaks English but be prepared to SPEND. Bill Bryson in one of his books refers to Swedish restaurant prices as "heartbreaking'. There also have the worst tourist offices I have run into but at least the one in the train station will book a room for you. You'll have a great time. Be prepared for lots of public drunkeness, unlike anything I ever saw in the States. Don't rent a car. You could buy a condo for what it will cost and the public transit is superb. Rick Steves are the best guide books to read before you go. Have a wonderful trip!

Old 09-18-2010, 05:36 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,334,386 times
Stockholm is at it's best in june.
Check this site:
Stockholm

Old 09-21-2010, 04:55 PM

367 posts, read 1,074,316 times
I have lived in Stockholm for about 10 years, moved to the states 5 years ago. I must recommend to go in the summer time - June-August. One thing you shouldn't miss is to get on the boats to get out in the archipelago. It can be a 2-3 hr trip one way, but all the small islands, the nature and rustic cottage scenery is really something else. Make it a two day trip, find a hostel out on one of the islands and spend the night. Past Vaxholm to Sandhamn or Finnhamn, are two good destinations. Book far in advance if you need a place for the night. Day trips - Or just go island hopping!

Of course check out the obvious things - the old town area, vasa museum, Djurgården island, the nightlife, Drottningholm area, and my favorite part of town - Södermalm. It's a fairly good sized island, and it has great little cafe's, clubs, nightlife, parks and in general a great feel to it. Stokholm is a fairly safe city, but not without its troubles on occasion. If you got basic street smarts you will be fine!

Prices are typically high, compared with the US - things like a rental car and hotel rooms can set you back quite a bit. Like eureka1 says, public transport is the way to go, you can get a weekend / 3 day pass or similar, which you can travel on trains, subway and buses.

Swedes can typically communicate in english easily. Don't worry about learning the language before your trip - it is a very hard language to master and you can do that if you move there later. Don't be discouraged if everyone sits quietly next to you, it's a pretty quiet folk and Swedes lack the "uncomfortable silence" gene. Except when they drink

I wouldn't head too far out Northest, or Southwest, there are some rougher neighborhoods there. Good luck and have a good time!
Oh, and try the Swedish pizza places - you'll get a good laugh/surprise when you see the ingredients! But they are tasty!!

Old 09-22-2010, 01:41 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,334,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_bd View Post
I wouldn't head too far out Northest, or Southwest, there are some rougher neighborhoods there.
You mean northwest,right?
Because I wouldn't worry too much about the northeast.
Plus I don't think the rougher neighbourhoods are that bad during daytime,although I wonder why a tourist would go there in the first place.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:55 PM

401 posts, read 479,830 times
I've been to Stockhold and, I would recommend the seeing the Wasa Museum. It's the world's only surviving 16th century warship. The reason it survived is because it capsized on its maiden voyage inside Stockholm Harbor. The kicker was they knew before hand there were problems with the ship but, no one had the guts to tell the King. Another interesting fact about the ship is that it was the first double decker warship of its time. If the ship had worked, it would've had an enormous impact on naval warfare. As you can tell, I found the museum fascinating. The ship itself looks like a ghost ship and is huge. They had to build a 3 story museum around the ship to hold it.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:18 AM

630 posts, read 1,874,871 times
Nice country to visit,but I would think twice about wanting to live there.Winters are way too long,and they look differently on tourists versus people coming in to take their jobs.

Old 09-25-2010, 11:32 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,310,576 times
Argh!!!

I just typed a huge thing on a bunch of the places I visited during the 2 years that I spent in Stockholm and Sweden and then accidentally erased it.

Here goes a shorter version:

Go in September. The weather is nice and the tourists have gone home.

I really liked Stockholm but the winters are rough. 7 hours of daylight in the middle of winter is not easy to deal with.

Vasa Museum (http://vasamuseet.se/en/ - broken link). Absolutely. The most unique and interesting museum that I've ever been to. A museum about an old ship didn't sound that interesting to me when people told me about it, but it is. Go see it.

Archipelago trip. Yes. There is a one day trip (and back) to the island of Moya. I recommend that one. You can also choose to hop off the boat somewhere and spend your time on one of the little islands on the beach.

Steamboat to Birka. Birka is an old viking city. It is a beautiful ride and an interesting trip.

Djurgarden, including Skansen. Skansen is an open air museum. It's nice, expect to spend a day there. I'd also recommend taking a canoe around Djurgarden or at least back and forth part of the way.

Kaknastornet. Good foot, great desserts, excellent view of the city. Go for dinner, stay until it is dark.

Kulturhuset (http://www.kulturhuset.stockholm.se/default.asp?id=5617 - broken link) and Sergel Torg. You can take the bus from Sergel Torg to Djurgarden. At kulturhuset go to the 2nd? floor and check out the 3D map of Stockholm.

Hogtorg. Like a flea market, but, good deals on vegetables and probably cantarells and some stuff to take back to your friends. Don't be afraid to bargain with them.

Globen theater. Take in a concert in a theater shaped like a golf ball.

Gamla Stan. Old Stockholm. You'll want to see the Royal Palace, including the changing of the guards (though the palace at Drottningholm is nicer). My favorite part of Gamla Stan is to walk down Stora Nygatan (Big New street) to Jarntorget. Stop into the cafe to get something sweet then head around the corner to Marten Trotzig Grand. Stop, take pictures of your friends, have them take pictures of you, have a stranger take pictures of you all together, then walk up to Prastgatan. Walking up Prastgatan at night is like being transported back to the 1700's. Especially in winter when the few shops on the street set out oil lamps.

The oldest street in Stockholm is in Gamla Stan. Kopmansgatan first appears on a map from the 1300's. The mynt (coin) museum is also in Gamla Stan. It might be worth an hour trip. The largest coin in the world is there, and it is big.

Outside of Stockholm, I'd recommend taking a day (or two) to go to Uppsala. In Uppsala you'll want to see the Domkyrken where Gustav Vasa is burried and the Gustavianum. Then head over to Restaurang Tzatziki. Get a seat on the patio looking over the canal.

In Gamla Uppsala (Old Uppsala) you'll get a chance to see some ancient viking burial mounds.

One (of many) thing in Sweden I didn't get a chance to do that I wish that I did was to go to the Barrow of Skalunda in Vastergotland. This is supposedly where Beowulf is burried.

I had a great time in Sweden, hope you get a chance to go and have a great time too.

If you have any questions, feel free to send me a direct message

Old 09-26-2010, 04:01 PM

367 posts, read 1,074,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
You mean northwest,right?
Because I wouldn't worry too much about the northeast.
Plus I don't think the rougher neighbourhoods are that bad during daytime,although I wonder why a tourist would go there in the first place.
Yes - typo, should be northwest. Avoid the Rinkeby area. But yeah, not many reasons to go there anyways.

I would like to stress that June-August would be the best time. Sure there are some tourists, but it's not going to be much of an obstacle. The one thing I love about the summer months is the long days. Sun sets around 10.30pm and rises 4 am. And it never gets fully dark.

Uppsala, like mentioned previously, is a nice university town with a lot of history. Domkyrkan is a massive cathedral church, and Gustavianum was the second anatomical theatre in the world. Also, Uppsala University was founded 1477, and a few of the former professors include Anders Celcius, known for the temperature degree scale, and Carl von Linné who is the father of taxonomy (no, nothing to do with taxes).

Old 10-20-2010, 12:45 PM

476 posts, read 1,135,045 times
@ filhok & crazy_bd, I'm in Europe (Aug-Oct) next year as part of a 'round the world and anticipate 5-10 days in Sweden. I thought it best to go in late August & catch midnight sun.

Is there much of a nightlife, especially a live music scene in Stockholm?
Do I have to travel far north to experience the long days (midnight sun) or is this further south in Stockholm as well?
Any experience with/ recommendations for trekking in August?
Am loathe to spend more than 2 nights in Stockholm ...any recommendations on smaller towns (aside from Uppsala) or national parks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel