Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 04:35 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,037,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
I'm a little bit more simple than most of you...

5. Detroit (My parents met and married there. I'd love to go see the places I know they've been to.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
As someone born and raised in West Michigan, I am very sorry for your choice
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
As someone who had the displeasure of visiting Detroit, I concur!
Why the travel snobbery? This is a 'see before you die' thread, not everyone has dramatic aspirations or a checklist of UNESCO sites, however admirable they may be.

I can completely understand why people would want to visit the places their parents met and married. I visited my dad's school and it was fascinating to walk the campus where he once hung out as a young man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 05:02 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,455,141 times
I have been very lucky indeed to have been able to see so many of the places that have already been mentioned. My short list is as follows:

Patagonia/Tierra del Fuego
South of India
Nepal
Bora Boar
St Petersburg (Russia, not FL)
Amazon river boat tour
Kenya
Cape Town
Mt Fuji, Japan
Viet Nam

Old 01-06-2011, 09:41 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,737,038 times
Quote:
Bruges was one of the most charming cities we've been to. It's like a fairy tale, with some great food, and I'd go back in a heartbeat!

NYC has been portrayed as a city invaded by aliens plenty of times in movies. Doesn't mean it's true, unless you count the illegal aliens...
Calm down there..! I was only teasing the poster.

The movie was shot in winter, so being a hot weather lover that I am, the movie didn't exactly inspire interest, ya'know? But then again, I'm sure things will look much better in Summer.

Anyway, back to original topic: i've been fortunate to have visited most of asian and US destinations listed here, so here's my list:

- To stay in one of those overwater bungalows in Bora Bora
- to watch Humpback whales in action in Alaska (have done this in Hawaii and would like to see them in Alaska)
- walk through the stonehenge in England
- Walk around in traditional open markets in Morocco
- See the pyramids in Egypt
- Visit the fish auction market in Japan (didn't get a chance to do this when I went to Tokyo the last time)
- Attend a mass at St. Peter's Basillica in Rome
- Jerusalam, the whole city is practically a living museum!!

Old 01-06-2011, 11:37 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,426,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
As someone born and raised in West Michigan, I am very sorry for your choice
Quote:
As someone who had the displeasure of visiting Detroit, I concur!
Ah, I was waiting for the Detroit haters to come out!

The simple fact is, I would LOVE to spend some time in Detroit. Why would I take some random internet person's word (except you Mag, you're not random! ) and NOT go see a city I've been dreaming about going to since as long as I can remember?

Mom worked at Chrysler as a receptionist and dad worked for Boy Scouts of America. They met at a church-sponsored dance and were married 4 months later. They had my two oldest siblings before moving and settling in Utah. I have several pictures of them at various places in Detroit that I think would be awesome if I could go find. There are several families we still have ties to there, including one that actually had my parent's wedding reception in their backyard.

Mom passed away just 6 months ago and dad passed away 5 years ago last month. Why wouldn't I want to go back and taste a little bit of their history?

Old 01-06-2011, 03:23 PM

187 posts, read 541,960 times
Wow it's really interesting that a lot of people want to go to some places because of personal reasons. I was expecting a whole bunch of lists of the same places, Europe, Japan, etc. I have actually been really lucky that my parents have taken me to my birthplace. I actually got to go back to the little hospital that I was born and I actually went back to the same room (it still exists!). It was really emotional. I have been wanting to go to Cuba for a long time. This is where my parents are from and I want to see how people live over there. It's just mindblowing to think that my own parents and family just 17 years ago were living on a tiny farm in some mountains in rural Cuba raising chickens. Now they are some of the most technologically-savvy people I know Not everyone cares if they see the Great wall of china or collesuem. Everyone has their own places they want to see

Old 01-06-2011, 06:07 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,952,281 times
Default My list

1. The temples of Luxor and Karnak in Egypt (forget the Pyramids, they're just piles of stone).

2. Angkor Wat in Cambodia - the most glorious ruins of all

3. The Amazon River and it's rain forest

4. The fjords of Norway

5. Paris

6. Macchu Picchu in Peru

7. Lhasa, Tibet

8. Petra, Jordan - the city cut out of rock in ancient times

9. The Taj Mahal

10. Tie: The Acropolis in Athens; Rio de Janiero; the palaces near St. Petersburg, Russia; the temples in Bangkok, Thailand; the Panama Canal; the island of Bali; the Alps in Switzerland, and Sydney, Australia.

(PS, I have already accomplished my list and can die a happy man )

Old 01-06-2011, 06:28 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
No Clark Park. Now you make a new one. I did!

Old 01-06-2011, 11:58 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,396,747 times
to whoever said Detroit don't let some lame idiot from West MI (lmfao farmland) deter you from visiting Detroit. That person probably has never been to the city

Old 01-06-2011, 11:59 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,396,747 times
mind you West MI isn't even close to Southeast MI (where Detroit is) smh

Old 01-07-2011, 10:51 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,945,615 times
Grand Rapids is farmland? Grand Rapids is more of a city than Detroit is. We should be the ones calling you guys a farmland.. isn't that the new plan?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel