Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 02:27 PM

130 posts, read 147,017 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what people's experience with using priceline's bidding has been. I've been reading other forums where people talk about getting 4 star hotels in Manhattan for under $200/night. I'm interested in checking this out and want to hear about anyone's positive/negative experinces with the hotel bidding. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2007, 06:26 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,387,014 times
Ive used priceline.com before and theyre okay but from experience, if you have the extra time, plan on an extra day going to and/or coming from, because if you do the 'name your price' thing, they wont give you a time on departures or return flights until 'after' you pay for the tickets, which you cannot change, the price is set, and if you do try to change it, well, they charge $100 'service fee' for doing so, and for that, you may as well have paid the full price otherwise. You might get stuck with a 9pm flight out and/or a 6am flight back, which takes away from your first or last day there.
I have found deals with them though, when I had the ample time to take that chance.

Old 07-21-2007, 06:37 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,525 times
I have used priceline with mixed results. Used for car rental in Honolulu and got an excellent daily price and had no problems. Used for a hotel room in Miami with less than good results. Yes... .I got a "4 star" for a discount (about 100.00 per night) but the room we were put in was without a doubt, one of the worst in the hotel. And while the reputation of the hotel may have been 4 stars, I saw nothing there that justified that 4 star rating to begin with.

Old 07-21-2007, 10:14 AM

25,464 posts, read 13,570,117 times
We are not extensive travelers. However I have used priceline.com many times over the past few years with pretty good results. I booked rooms in Chicago for my husband and myself. My oldest son and his 2 children decided to meet us there so I booked a room for them also. Couldn't get the same hotel due to it having been July 4th that year. I traded w/my son and gave him our room due to it being larger and we took the downtown, smaller, electic hotel. Worked fine for all of us.

Last year got a room thru priceline for my 2 young grandsons and myself in St. Louis for a few days while we enjoyed the Muny, Zoo and other attractions of the city. Got a 4 star hotel in an exclusinve suburb only minutes from where we wanted to attend.

Have also been fortunate to use them for airline tickets in the past. Just have to be as specific as you can and be prepared to accept some differences. Being flexible is really the key here. If you have to have hotel, flight, whatever for an exact time, location, it may be disappointing. Overall, good experience for me. Good luck

Old 07-21-2007, 01:20 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,835,057 times
For hotels it's good. This week at the last minute I got a $175 hotel room in Atlanta for $75 with name your own price.

Run a search on hotels on the website first- pick a class (number of stars) that you would like, and you can narrow down the possibilities since they're listed there. Then do name your own price- at least you'll have an idea of which hotels you might end up with.

Old 07-22-2007, 08:12 AM

786 posts, read 4,731,745 times
I have saved thousands on Priceline over the last ten years.

Always bid about 40% less than the lowest rate found on the other travel sites. Remember to call the hotel you were assigned and ask for a room with the number of beds you need and the location of yje room. (I always ask for a room away from the noisy ice machine and down at the end of the hall away from the elevator.) With the "name your own price option" on Priceline you can not cancel or change your hotel after it is assigned. That is why it is so cheap.

Old 08-16-2008, 03:22 PM

1 posts, read 16,878 times
Post Priceline is a fraud!! Beware!!

I booked a hotel room through priceline. I was charged for it, and I called the hotel (Sun Suites Of Jacksonville) for confirmation and to advise I would arrive close to 11:30pm. Everything seemed to be in order.

The nightmare. I arrived at the hotel at 11pm on check in date at Sun Suites Of Jacksonville Hotel. I spoke to Marlon, the front desk clerk. He offered to accommodate me to the hotel's sister property, but that property was sold out as well. He then gave up and asked me to speak to Priceline. I spoke to Thomas (agent #15323) at Priceline who didn't resolve anything for me. He said "you're on your own. You will receive a refund in 7 to 10 business days!!" Once I asked to speak to a supervisor, he said that supervisors Jared and Brandy did not want to speak to me and disconnected me. I WAS SHOCKED!! I called back and was told they were closing the call center at midnight, and left me to my own devises in a strange city. After 10 phone calls to other hotels, I learned all city hotel rooms were sold out because American Idol was conducting auditions the following day. I was a horor movie come true!!

Its been days now since I have been trying to secure my refund but so far, all I have gotten is the run-arounds. The whole PRICELINE experience has been a nightmare!! I do not recomend!!

Old 08-16-2008, 05:35 PM

115 posts, read 446,857 times
I've only used Priceline for hotels and so far I've been happy. I've gotten the Westin in LAX for $50. twice and the Omni in DCA for $70. The last time I used them, I was able to get a room right before my flight. I start the bid really low. The only downside is you have to agree to the price and get charged before receiving any info about the identity of the hotel.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:30 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,227,902 times
If you are only 2 people, Priceline guarantees your room. If you have kids, you must be at the mercy of the hotel especially in Manhattan where rooms are tiny.

I recently booked a Doubletree in Philly for 65 bucks on Priceline. Saved a bundle. I would bid less than 150 for a four star in Manhattan for 2 people. Go to Betterbidding.com They will identify the exact hotel and give you a very good idea of how to and how much to bid. Note that in Manhattan, hotels are cheaper on weekends.

PS.. I got Westin 4 star in Boston Copely for 125 and the Westin Arlington in Washington for 125 last month for a family of two adults and three kids.

If you book at the mega hotels, there is less of a chance of a problem with over booking. Also try to arrive before check in time to give them a chance to upgrade you.

Old 08-17-2008, 06:03 PM

983 posts, read 4,441,061 times
I use priceline fairly often and had good results. I bidded on a 3 star near DFW and got it for $40 a night. I believe it was the Raddison and they had daily happy hour with free drinks! So entire stay/3 nites was $120 plus tax.
I have also used it to bid on airfare as recently as today. I need to be somewhere on 8/21 and wasn't sure if I would go or not. So the reg airfare was $487 on short notice. I tried to low ball it at $225 and didn't get it so they offered it to me for $291 w/4 hr layover, or $302 with no layover mentioned. But it's true that amount is about 40% off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel