Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 10:09 AM

34 posts, read 166,497 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at booking a flight from Augusta, GA to Chicago with a connecting flight in Atlanta. Both flights are operated by Delta and I plan on purchasing the flight through Delta's website. My only issue is the layover time of 36 mins. Under normal flying conditions, should I be fine in making my flight to Chicago? Just a little info, I will be flying alone, and since I'm only going for a few days, I will not be checking any baggage. I've also connected in ATL once before going to Dallas, so I'm somewhat familiar with moving from one terminal to another if I need to. I'm not too familiar with the process if you miss your connection though. I've always made mine, but wait times have also always been longer. Obviously I would go straight to the gate for my next flight. I have no reason to shop or getting anything to eat while in Atlanta, but what if there is a delay on Delta's part? Would it be their responsibility to get me to Chicago? I know it's probably just as simple as talking to customer service desk if I miss my connection, but like I said I'm not too familiar with the process and I've heard horror stories about getting around Hartsfield, even though my one experience was fine. Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 11:10 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
Delta, knows you are connecting. They will wait a few minutes for you to get to your gate. If you miss your flight, they know that to, they will re-book you on the next available flight. Just go to the gate where the next flight departs from, The gate agent there will re-issue a new boarding pass for that flight.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:15 AM

61,723 posts, read 87,147,355 times
^^^ Yes. But check the airport plan. You might come on time but your second flight could be on another end of the airport. They would not wait till you make it there.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:36 AM

34 posts, read 166,497 times
Ok, thanks.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:25 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,252,446 times
My rule, think twice about anything less than a 1 hour layover. I have done it, but if your 1st flight is slightly delayed by a few minutes, by the time you arrive to the 2nd airport for your connecting you are at risk of missing your connecting flight, especially if it is at a far away terminal.

My preference is 1hr30 minutes layover. This leaves small room for delay and I can still make my connecting flights. I have known quite a few people who have had a 40 minutes or 45 minutes layover who missed their connecting flights.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:29 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
I'd say an 1.5 hour turnaround just like observer. Atlanta is notorious for late arrivals, etc. That's why I always will fly on just about anyone besides Delta if I can possibly help it.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:29 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,090,847 times
Correct, I am not a fan of the Atlanta Delta hub and try to go direct, which I usually can do with Delta..that Atlanta airport is huge with having to take that underground tram. I would do it with at least an hour and a half layover, 36 minutes cutting it too close for me.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:11 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
On the plus side Atlanta is very simply in layout and inter-terminal traversal. Given a time crunch I'd take it any day over airports where this is a chance you have to walk or wait on a bus, then go thru security again.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:41 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,010,715 times
ATL is a very simple airport. I had a 45mins connection there recently made it in o problem even ad time to get something to eat as it was right next to my gate. I would try to book/change to a seat towards the front of the plane. If your late and you miss the connection because your flight did not arrive on time etc.. Delta will book you on the next possible flight out.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:06 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
I've made a 40 minute connection there before too despite being different terminal. Go downstairs, get on train, get off when your letter is called, go upstairs.

Try that in Phoenix where you go outside, wait by the curb, get on bus which might be looping the other direction, exit bus and reenter different building and go upstairs to go thru security again. Yuck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel