Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2012, 03:13 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times

Advertisements

Cancun, Mexico. Though a standard tourist might disagree.

Madrid, Spain. Although the surrounding cities have a lot of interesting things to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 05:19 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post

Madrid, Spain. Although the surrounding cities have a lot of interesting things to see.
Mexico is increasingly falling off my radar. Not interested. Can practice my Spanish as a tourist elsewhere.

Madrid isn't that exciting, to me. Spanish cities seem to be fueled by nightlife. I will have to say this, though. Madrid is a clean city, its Metro system (with at least 11 lines) is fantastic, and the people are reliably nice. The first time I went, the hoteliers, a husband and wife, who ran the hotel I stayed in were great. At check-out, I had forgotten something in the lobby. I am standing at the Metro platform, and the husband had evidently talked to the fare attendant to let him in so he could give me this article before the subway train arrived. Amazing. Hispanic hospitality can be extra nice if one speaks Spanish.

Hey, what I'd like to see is the area in which you live - Lake Superior, the North Woods, and the U.P. of Michigan.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:14 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post

My family went to Cancun in it's early years and I enjoyed it very much. I don't think I'd like it now.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:31 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
Las Vegas is overrated. Finally went, and doubt I'll ever go back. Not impressed.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Las Vegas is overrated. Finally went, and doubt I'll ever go back. Not impressed.
Never been, but I'd like to see it once.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Never been, but I'd like to see it once.
Once is often enough.

I've been more than once because of:
a) work,
b) my parents liked going there from LA, and
c) I have a friend who moved there to be able to afford a house

Old 10-10-2012, 08:26 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
This is subjective, but Washington, D.C. is a city I consider to be somewhat underrated for visiting. There's a lot to see and do - it has the largest museum complex in the world, for example. I recommend visiting during the Cherry Blossom festival in the Spring.
I agree, I love the Washington DC area. Lots of history, lots to see, plenty of natural beauty in the surrounding area.

Really enjoy hiking in the Great Falls area of the Potomac whenever I'm back there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I will admit that, the Strip, in limited doses is ok once every 5 years. It's kitsch as hell and people watching is interesting.
Indeed, possibly the best people watching experience I know of. Go to one of the convenience stores on the strip to get a few cold 24 oz cans of beer in brown paper bag, find a nice place to sit/lean outside, and watch the parade of people. Great times, I can easily do it once a year.

Plus Vegas really has turned into an upper tier dining destination, if that's your thing.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Once is often enough.

I've been more than once because of:
a) work,
b) my parents liked going there from LA, and
c) I have a friend who moved there to be able to afford a house
I just feel I need to see it in terms of how over the top it is. I'm not a big gambler, would probably play the slots. I want to see the lights and the people.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I just feel I need to see it in terms of how over the top it is. I'm not a big gambler, would probably play the slots. I want to see the lights and the people.
Vegas, great for:
a) seeing the grand scale kitsch of the Strip
b) some water themed entertainment on the Strip, specifically at the Bellagio
c) limited slot machine play - like no more than $20 - it will be gone quickly, anyway
d) dang, there are some good buffets - generally, cheaper hotels equals lesser quality buffets - great breakfast values, too
e) Hoover Dam and Lake Mead
f) Boulder City and its antique row - really sleepy for being so close to Vegas - we just got iced teas and sat outside some place drinking them
g) Mt. Charleston if during the summer (7,200 ft above Las Vegas, and you may have to turn off A/C for the climb)
h) some kind of a desert center on the western edge of town where there's a visitor's center and burros roam free
i) if conscientious, time it to be there when there is an entertainer you would like to see in a show - calendars are available quite a ways in advance
j) people watching, and it begins at McCarran Airport

Old 10-11-2012, 07:45 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Vegas
Vegas
Vegas
Vegas
Vegas
Vegas
Vegas
Vegas
Vegas

My idea of hell on earth. Dante's seven circles of Hell could not even have envisaged such a depressing, vulgar, vapid , environmental and social nightmare that is Vegas IMO. Everything about it makes me want to retch. I loathed it so much that I should I ever win a trip there all expenses paid I would still fob it off to some poor unsuspecting souls. The amount of water consumed in a desert environment, the waste, the sheer relentless noise and bright lights, everything about it screams "get me out of here" to me.

Also high on my list :

Dubai ( vulgar, boring, blingy, shallow... need I say more)

HK ( I realise most people love it but I loathe it)

LA ( no heart to the city, feels like one gigantic highway)

Miami ( lovely Art Deco architecture but otherwise "meh" IMO)

Amsterdam ( beautiful city, great architecture, but had the only bad holiday of my life there, and was scarred for life !)

Moscow ( I think I actually prefered it under Soviet rule which is saying something - the dichotomy now between the poor and the obscenely rich is just too much to bear , bad enough under the Soviets, now it is a vulgar hell of conspicious consumption twinned with genuine poverty and deprivation ). A bit like a Medieval Kingdom of sorts. Not too keen on the political and social repression, supression of the free press and Putin's grotesque displays of so called "heroism" either.

Cancun/Acapulco - Must have been like heaven on earth until the tourism monster arrived.

Big cities with no history and little cultural attractions and/or poor environment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel