Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2012, 03:49 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,505,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Plain old Pensacola Beach or Navarre will do!
Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 05:08 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,037,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
We were at Amelia Island Plantation. My parents had us in a two bedroom townhouse or condo of some sort? Fuzzy memory. There was a marsh or creek behind us that had a very distinctive smell. This would have been in the 1970s. Crazy how memories work. I can't recall details about the building we stayed in, but I would know that scent anywhere.

I'm a beachwalker and shell seeker by nature. Captiva was perfect!
You were on the south end of Amelia, so the marshy scent was marsh.
We'd get along well, I too am a beachwalker and shell seeker by nature.
Quote:
Islamorada, which means "the purple isle," is the most beautiful of the keys IMO. Key Largo isn't bad. Florida, for me, means beach. The better the beach, the better the vacation. That's probably why I like the Panhandle so much. I don't want to leave.
We enjoyed the Panhandle as well. Did you ever get as far east as Apalachicola? We spent two years in Port St Joe (the second year was more St Joe Beach, a bit west of PSJ). Not a lot of amenities, but not a lot of strip malls, either. Windmark is nice.
Quote:
Which part of the Panhandle is your favorite? I've only been to Santa Rosa (off of Pensicola) once. I've heard that Destin is way too overcrowded now. If we go someday, I'd love a place with the best beach, not too built up but with a few amenities, restaurants... . You seem to know Florida well.
I like The Forgotten Coast.
Cape San Blas might work for you. Some amenities, but unspoiled.
We used to live just five minutes away from the Indian Pass Raw Bar. Just loved that place.
But if you prefer to be closer to the airport, not have to drive so far, Grayton Beach and the Red Bar might be your best bet.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:26 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,878,133 times
I wouldn't mind desert, even if for me the ideal location would be a postcard tropical lush sunny island. But I got a blast the first time I discovered desert (Sonoran near Sea of Cortez) as a teen in 1971 coming from rainy northern France, it was a dazzling experience , those awesome colors , so different from the drab grey-green hues I had only known up to then!

Old 10-05-2012, 07:38 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,301,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I've driven through the desert surrounding the Vegas area many times (as well as a number of other deserts in the US and Mexico). I'm just not a desert person. In general I just don't think they are beautiful. I'd much rather look at the mountains or water. But at least I've given it a try, I have seen them, and I do appreciate them.
I like mountains, too...the ones in the desert

I hate the cold. I love the sun. Desert is for me!

Old 10-05-2012, 01:45 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,384,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
We enjoyed the Panhandle as well. Did you ever get as far east as Apalachicola? We spent two years in Port St Joe (the second year was more St Joe Beach, a bit west of PSJ). Not a lot of amenities, but not a lot of strip malls, either. Windmark is nice.
I did not. Those areas are immediately south of Tallahassee, or in that general direction. I've heard Apalachichola is a cool little town. There's supposed to be a beautiful barrier island (St. Vincent, St. something) that you can catch a shuttle boat to from Apalachicola, if I'm not mistaken, and it is NOT crawling with tourists. But it doesn't offer much in the way of amenities, so you need to pack in your own stuff.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:12 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,489,808 times
Overrrated destinations:

Bangkok, dirty and only temples worth it.
Barcelona, nothing special.
Washington DC, nothing special (just the famous places)
Cambridge, I expected more.

I can't remember more, I should give another oportunity to these cities

Old 10-05-2012, 11:18 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,384,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
Overrrated destinations:

Good ones.

Barcelona, which I've visited maybe 3 times because it's sort of a pit stop from the Balearics, before proceeding to other parts of Europe, is a big bore. It's great for nightlife, so they say. If you want to enjoy it for daytime offerings, one can wrap it up pretty quickly. All of my European cousins take Lisbon heads and tails above Barcelona. Also, some Catalans can have a stick up their ass about their city and their region.

Washington DC. Once is enough. Just to stand in front of all the historical places and take a picture of them, as in "oh, cool, I've seen this on TV a million times." The army of cloned bureaucrats running during their lunch hour is enough to make one never want to return. It's a city with a bad vibe and, in the summer, the weather in that boggy setting of the Potomac and Anacostia Rivers is dreadful.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:34 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,505,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
Overrrated destinations:

I can't remember more, I should give another oportunity to these cities
Cambridge, MA?

Old 10-06-2012, 01:31 AM

877 posts, read 2,013,665 times
I'm surprised no one mention NYC in the first place. Absolutely overrated and full of transplants, it's HECTIC living here.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:21 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,489,808 times
Quote:
Good ones.

. All of my European cousins take Lisbon heads and tails above Barcelona. Also, some Catalans can
Yeah, if you mean that Lisbon is much better yes it is. (I am not English native so maybe I misunderstand)

Quote:
Cambridge, MA?
Cambridge in England. I forgot to explain which one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel