Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 04:47 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,355,064 times

Advertisements

apart from a thick book, how else do you occupy yourself on a 20-hour nonstop international flight? do people use their smartphones/laptops/tablets? i have never been on that length of a flight since 2007 so i'm trying to know what my options are. at that time, i listened to music, some movies available on the plane's entertainment system since i didnt have any ED at that time apart from a non-smart phone.

for those who use their EDs during that length of flight, how are you able to save up on the battery? or are there charging stations on planes for international flights?

i don't want to lug around a thick book since i will be having my laptop on carryon. any tips? non-ED options are welcome as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 05:05 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,400,247 times
According to Wikipedia, a 20-hour nonstop flight doesn't exist, so you don't have to worry about it.

Non-stop flight - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-25-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCollege View Post
According to Wikipedia, a 20-hour nonstop flight doesn't exist, so you don't have to worry about it.

Non-stop flight - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

oh well, a 13.5 hour flight really. i was still stuck during that nearly 20-hour flight i had in 2007. but still, it's too long to get stuck on a plane. but i guess i will just have to alternate between sleeping, walking around the plane, maybe striking a conversation or two then using the plane's entertainment system. just foraging around for ideas.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:19 PM

4,791 posts, read 10,615,390 times
Book(s), mags, paperwork on the laptop, eat less, drink more fluids, (non alcohol), get up and walk around regularly when the cabin hall monitors will allow it, the movies are usually pablum and highly edited...a nap.

Many seats on the long flights have a charging outlet.

25+ trips to Japan, a dozen to Korea and Taiwan, a couple dozen to BA, Sao Paulo, et al.
Ain't fun, but just steel yourself. And when you get there, try to stay awake until regular local 'sleep time'.
GL, mD

Old 08-25-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
Book(s), mags, paperwork on the laptop, eat less, drink more fluids, (non alcohol), get up and walk around regularly when the cabin hall monitors will allow it, the movies are usually pablum and highly edited...a nap.

Many seats on the long flights have a charging outlet.

25+ trips to Japan, a dozen to Korea and Taiwan, a couple dozen to BA, Sao Paulo, et al.
Ain't fun, but just steel yourself. And when you get there, try to stay awake until regular local 'sleep time'.
GL, mD

how are the charging ports like? do we need a plug adapter?

for long flights, do they still generally provide blankets? i intend to dress in layers, but i still tend to get chilly.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:18 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,618,812 times
I have flown from Chicago to Beijing several times, which is 12 - 13 hours. Fortunately, both the United and American flights I was on had multiple movie choices, as well as tv shows and games. I am pretty picky when it comes to movies but I could unusually find at least two or three to watch. Along with the onboard movies, I always take a book and usually pick up a magazine and a newspaper.

One note, on the flight back, the magazines and newspapers in the Beijing and Tokyo airports are not in English. Also, depending on your flight schedule, the movies are sometimes the same ones I watched on the way over.

As far as electronic devices, the limitation is the lack of electrical outlets, at least in economy seating. However, the new tablets seem to really be a nice option. They have great battery lives and you can read books or watch video.

However, my best flights have occurred when I ended up seating beside interesting people. I flew to Tokyo sitting beside a young American soldier, who was stationed in Korea. We had a fascinating conversation that made the flight seem to go by quickly.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post

However, my best flights have occurred when I ended up seating beside interesting people. I flew to Tokyo sitting beside a young American soldier, who was stationed in Korea. We had a fascinating conversation that made the flight seem to go by quickly.

i wish i will have such kind of a seatmate. i would be on a trip home so the flight would be filled with fellow countrymen who probably have lived nice lives in the US, only going home for a 2-week vacation, and will be bragging about where they will be going/staying. i hate to be envious of such for the entire flight since i won't exactly be going on a vacation. it's more of a necessary trip home to help me keep my US work visa, and i would essentially be unemployed for the duration i'm home until my visa is extended or find a temp job, whichever comes first. oh well...

Old 08-25-2013, 09:22 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,380,912 times
If you can lay your hands on some sort of iPad or tablet computer, do it. I love my iPad. It keeps me entertained, even without a wi-fi connection. Before trips, I load it up with books and music and games. I don't need to bring anything else for entertainment, and the battery life is long.

Also, take a benadryl or two

Old 08-25-2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
If you can lay your hands on some sort of iPad or tablet computer, do it. I love my iPad. It keeps me entertained, even without a wi-fi connection. Before trips, I load it up with books and music and games. I don't need to bring anything else for entertainment, and the battery life is long.

Also, take a benadryl or two

how long do tablet batteries typically last on one charge?

Old 08-26-2013, 01:19 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,119,088 times
it does help if you sit next to someone who you have some attraction to!

unfortunately for me, hasn't been the case lately (5 or so airplane trips over the last year)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel