Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 09:01 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,849,024 times

Advertisements

I usually end up in relatively inexpensive locations, though last summer paid $160 for a night in a La Quinta Inn in Flagstaff, AZ because it was the cheapest option that didn't get really mixed reviews on Tripadvisor. Apparently everyone and their brother in Arizona likes to hit the Grand Canyon on late spring weekends, and rooms were priced accordingly. For the next three months after booking, I was constantly getting google ads advertising $69 a night specials at other locations in the La Qunita chain.

About $200 per night for an upcoming trip in London and Paris- Holiday Inn Express and Holiday Inn in neighborhoods slightly away from the big tourist fuss but still close to tube/metro stops and places where we can get a cheap and quick meal nearby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 09:08 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,599,151 times
$400 for a suite in a boutique hotel in Montreal. It was a splurge, and we were traveling with an adult relative. The suite turned out to be larger than our 2-bedroom condo (including a nearly full kitchen)! I wouldn't do that often, but it was well worth it.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:34 AM

182 posts, read 477,291 times
Most I've paid for a hotel room was $400 for one night at the Grand Hotel & Spa in Ocean City, MD. That was a desperation move, it happened during the June 2012 Mid-Atlantic derecho. Our home was without power for over a week, so my wife and my parents decided to go to the beach for one night. The $400 room was the only one left at that hotel (nearly all of the hotel in Ocean City were booked), so we went with that one.

The most expensive hotel room that I have stayed in was $599 per night (and this was the discounted group rate) at the Halekulani on Waikiki Beach in Hawaii. Thank God I didn't pay for that. My wife was on a business trip at a medical convention and I tagged along. I honestly wasn't all that impressed with the hotel. Yes it was beautiful and in a great location. But the rooms were small and every amenity cost extra, nothing was included. The room didn't even have an iron, if you wanted your clothes pressed, you had to pay the ridiculous rate for valet service (I ended up steaming all of the wrinkles out of my clothes by handing them in the bathroom and leaving the shower on the highest temperature). The other hotels I stayed at in Hawaii (Hilton Hawaiian Village and the Outrigger Reef on the Beach) were much nicer (room size, amenties, etc.) and only half the price.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:39 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,420,891 times
paid 200 for a hotel in Singapore

Old 05-07-2014, 10:09 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,750,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
And where was it?
Did you think it was worth it?
Was it the location or the amenities that made you reach deep in your pocket?

Of course this is all relative... In my 20's I didn't travel much except to see my brother in Northern California, and the occasional trip to a Las Vegas (Econolodge) and Tijuana. (day trip only!)

These days I travel more with my husband, (middle class income/we budget for travel) and try to watch the pennies as long as it's relatively safe, clean and the bed is reasonably comfy.

We'll splurge for special occasions and we know we'll be spending a little time in the room, ESPECIALLY if it has a double whirlpool tub!

Our most expensive room was in Paris. We paid 350 USD per night (we were there three nights).
Aside from being in Paris, the location was great on the Isle Saint Louis right near Notre Dame. The room wasn't fancy or large, but it was comfortable, with a window that opened up to a narrow street below which was charming, and had a great bathtub with lots of hot water.

Just thinking about this today and wondering how folks arrive at that "lets go for it" moment.

Cheers!
$200 at the Palace in SF. Yes, it was worth it.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:44 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,608,265 times
On our own dime I don't think we've ever paid more than $125 a night. I sometimes meet my adult daughter for weekend trips and she loves staying in historic hotels. They generally have historic prices too! She pays, we both enjoy.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:16 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,714,614 times
$750 a night at the Waldorf Towers in NYC. (Late notice business travel and everything else was sold out.) It was very nice but, no, it wasn't worth it.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:47 AM

686 posts, read 1,102,054 times
$500 in 2 weeks from now in NYC. Supposed to be a very nice place (one would hope so).

Before that I have paid well over $300 many times (NYC, London, Paris). And those are not exactly 5 star joints, but nice business class hotels in the center city.

To some extent, you get what you pay for in hotels...especially in a place like NYC...I have found out the hard way that any room there under around $200-250 can be pretty sketchy...I don't flinch at the $350 range there, but fortunately, I don't have to go there very often, either.

Last edited by Westbound and Down; 05-07-2014 at 11:58 AM..

Old 05-07-2014, 12:26 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,434,161 times
$209 for a night plus $28 in tax back in November on a Saturday night of a friend's wedding at Bear Mountain Park in New York. That was with the group rate. I didn't get why it was soo expensive, it was nothing special.Only stayed over because it was an hour away from home and I knew there would be heavy drinking that night.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:29 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,819,196 times
my company put me up in an incredible boutique hotel called "the Charles", across the street from Cambridge/Harvard. $380 per night (this was back in '86 or so). Saved on transportation because my class for the week was right next door. Awesome!

my money? probably about $180 per night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel