Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2014, 10:05 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
You're aware that is discrimination? Obesity is caused by eating too much food. Having long legs is not a choice. Glad to see you have an angry little man syndrome. I do fit in the seat the way it is intended, with out the seat reclining. Since the seat comes in an upright position, perhaps they should charge people more money for the option to recline. Oh, you don't like it that way. Too bad.
It's not discrimination any more than charging more for clothing for tall people. The seat is built with a recline function, therefore there is no reason to charge people more to use it. That's like saying they should charge more to use the tray table.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 12:44 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Once. The message got through loud and clear, and he moved his knees.
That isn't going to work with me. I am the proverbial immovable object. People try to slam their seat back and learn that it isn't going ANYWHERE. You don't have the mass to make that seat budge so much as an eighth of an inch. Deliberately hurting someone who has no choice in the matter speaks volumes about the content of one's character.

Keep slamming your seat back. Eventually you are going to do so against a person who is my size, but also is not a pacifist.

Old 09-01-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
That isn't going to work with me. I am the proverbial immovable object. People try to slam their seat back and learn that it isn't going ANYWHERE. You don't have the mass to make that seat budge so much as an eighth of an inch. Deliberately hurting someone who has no choice in the matter speaks volumes about the content of one's character.

Keep slamming your seat back. Eventually you are going to do so against a person who is my size, but also is not a pacifist.
And they will go to jail with me laughing in their face.

Anyone who knowingly books a seat they can't fit into needs to be put on a no fly list.

Old 09-01-2014, 01:18 PM

Have you looked at the prices of first-class tickets lately? Just because I'm freakishly tall doesn't mean that I'm also an NBA millionaire.

Luckily, flight attendants have a little empathy and usually move me to someplace that has a vacant seat next to it, so I can sit at an angle. Or they'll find me that weird seat in the back that has nothing in front of it.

Hurting someone who isn't doing a damned thing to you isn't right. Justify it however you'd like. But you're the aggressor.

Old 09-01-2014, 02:17 PM

118 posts, read 218,021 times
I wasn't going to reply to this thread but I just have to point out:

The argument for the "seat slammers" basically consists of, "It's my seat, I paid to recline, suck it Person Behind Me." Agreed?

But what about the tray? I paid for that tray, though it's attached to your seat. I need to work on my laptop...and now I need something from my bag...and now to work...and now my bag... Would you feel the same way if I insisted on opening and closing the tray repeatedly the whole flight, thereby slamming your seat?

I know for a fact you would not say, "Well, they paid for it, let them do as they will," because I have two toddlers who think Tray Play is super awesome fun, and I have to loudly stop them from doing it as soon as we sit down and insist to all the other passengers within earshot that such behavior will not be tolerated. My kids have flown enough to know this fact already, and frequently ask me why I'm telling them so loudly...

Fact is, we're all crammed in there, we all paid for the seats we got, whether because we're cheap, or poor, or it's all that was left. Blatant selfishness couched in your rights does nothing to make the flight go faster, or any of us more comfortable.

Old 09-01-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Have you looked at the prices of first-class tickets lately? Just because I'm freakishly tall doesn't mean that I'm also an NBA millionaire.

Luckily, flight attendants have a little empathy and usually move me to someplace that has a vacant seat next to it, so I can sit at an angle. Or they'll find me that weird seat in the back that has nothing in front of it.

Hurting someone who isn't doing a damned thing to you isn't right. Justify it however you'd like. But you're the aggressor.
Have you bothered to consider that there are options other than first class?

Look for economy comfort/main cabin extra type seats. They are located in coach and offer an extra 3"-8" of legroom for between $10 and $100 or so, depending on the length of the flight. I just took a look, on AA a Main Cabin extra seat r/t LAX and MCO would be $150--it could be less on other dates. That gives an extra 6" of legroom. Hardly the cost of first class.

Old 09-01-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thursdaymcgee View Post
I wasn't going to reply to this thread but I just have to point out:

The argument for the "seat slammers" basically consists of, "It's my seat, I paid to recline, suck it Person Behind Me." Agreed?

But what about the tray? I paid for that tray, though it's attached to your seat. I need to work on my laptop...and now I need something from my bag...and now to work...and now my bag... Would you feel the same way if I insisted on opening and closing the tray repeatedly the whole flight, thereby slamming your seat?

I know for a fact you would not say, "Well, they paid for it, let them do as they will," because I have two toddlers who think Tray Play is super awesome fun, and I have to loudly stop them from doing it as soon as we sit down and insist to all the other passengers within earshot that such behavior will not be tolerated. My kids have flown enough to know this fact already, and frequently ask me why I'm telling them so loudly...

Fact is, we're all crammed in there, we all paid for the seats we got, whether because we're cheap, or poor, or it's all that was left. Blatant selfishness couched in your rights does nothing to make the flight go faster, or any of us more comfortable.
I don't see the comparison. It's not like I'm repeatedly putting my seat up and down. I recline it and go to sleep.

Old 09-01-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Have you bothered to consider that there are options other than first class?

Look for economy comfort/main cabin extra type seats. They are located in coach and offer an extra 3"-8" of legroom for between $10 and $100 or so, depending on the length of the flight. I just took a look, on AA a Main Cabin extra seat r/t LAX and MCO would be $150--it could be less on other dates. That gives an extra 6" of legroom. Hardly the cost of first class.
I already do that. Since my home airport is McCarran, I even go as far as to go to the ticket counter a week in advance and get seat assignments for the entire trip. I know when McCarran is busy, and when it isn't. So I go there when it isn't, find a sympathetic ticket agent, and we spend 20-30 minutes making sure that I'm not going to fly in agony -- and that I am not a bother to the person in front of me. (And the only time I recline is when there is nobody to trouble behind me, or if everyone is doing it.) I was not put on this planet to inconvenience those around me. I'm am not a special snowflake, even though I have the same body type as the guy who plays Hodor from Game of Thrones.

But sometimes it doesn't work out in my favor. Full plane, short notice, whatever. Then I ask the flight attendant to put me someplace where I'm not in agony. Passengers have swapped with me because they can see my plight with their own eyes. I buy him or her a drink, and it's all good.

And sometimes that doesn't work out.

And in those cases, I am invariably stuck behind a special snowflake who thinks that it's the passenger's prerogative to slam their seat back every 30 seconds for the entire flight. Thankfully, the flight attendant's word is law. And they never, ever side with the seat slammer.

I wish this wasn't the case. But that's how it is.

Old 09-01-2014, 02:44 PM

Duplicate post. Browser hiccup.

Old 09-01-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
I already do that. Since my home airport is McCarran, I even go as far as to go to the ticket counter a week in advance and get seat assignments for the entire trip. I know when McCarran is busy, and when it isn't. So I go there when it isn't, find a sympathetic ticket agent, and we spend 20-30 minutes making sure that I'm not going to fly in agony -- and that I am not a bother to the person in front of me. (And the only time I recline is when there is nobody to trouble behind me, or if everyone is doing it.) I was not put on this planet to inconvenience those around me. I'm am not a special snowflake, even though I have the same body type as the guy who plays Hodor from Game of Thrones.

But sometimes it doesn't work out in my favor. Full plane, short notice, whatever. Then I ask the flight attendant to put me someplace where I'm not in agony. Passengers have swapped with me because they can see my plight with their own eyes. I buy him or her a drink, and it's all good.

And sometimes that doesn't work out.

And in those cases, I am invariably stuck behind a special snowflake who thinks that it's the passenger's prerogative to slam their seat back every 30 seconds for the entire flight. Thankfully, the flight attendant's word is law. And they never, ever side with the seat slammer.

I wish this wasn't the case. But that's how it is.
But do you actually spend the money to get an extra legroom seat? or do you just put some poor ticket agent through the wringer trying to find you a seat without paying extra for it? Big difference.

By the way, I don't slam back every 30 seconds. I wait until meal service (if there is one) has ended, then let the person behind me know I'll be reclining, give them a few minutes to get organized, and recline. I go to sleep. I bring the seat back when we are going to land. There is no flight attendant in the world who would have a problem with what I do, and every one of them would tell you to figure it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel