Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2014, 06:19 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,072,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
You mention this "right"; where does it state you have such a right? You have as much right to recline as a person in front of you being to tall to allow you to recline; the airline sold the seats equally, you have no more or less "rights" over the person in front of you or behind you.
Exactly, they can choose to recline as well.

Quote:
Now the point that has been brought up and ignored is; airlines have decreased the average seat space by three inches over the last ten years. While three inches does not seem much, it actually is a lot. The only group responsible for this idiotic reclining fiasco are the airlines.
Wrong, It's the people who clamoured for cheap airfares and had no loyalty and would buy a ticket because it was $3 cheaper on the competitor, even though said competitor offered less space. The traveling public is who caused this.

Quote:
While decreasing the seat space, no other allotments have been regarded into the issues this would cause. So while a person at 5'10" may not have an issue today, a few years from now they may have issues; to the point someone 5' tall will have their knees smashed into the seat.
There will always be the option to buy more space. There already is, some people would rather just complain and inconvenience others instead of taking personal responsibility for their space needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Actually, the person can fit into the space; the airline sold a certain size seat space, no where does it state this seat space is subservient to the person reclining.

I can reverse the argument on you; if you expect to recline, maybe you should purchase a seat where you know reclining will not be an issue. You seem to think reclining is some superior "right" over another person's rented seat space, even though the darn airline advertises the seat space as is when they sell the tickets. If the airline sells a ticket stating "33" of seat space", then why is this person not entitled to that space?
I use my seat in the way it's designed. If the airlines didn't want the seats to recline, they would simply remove the reclining mechanism. My seat reclines, I'm going to recline it. Perhaps those who don't want to be behind a reclining seat should use a little common sense and book seats behind rows that don't recline.

By the way, if they recline as well, they will get the same amount of space, so your argument is moot. If they book a non-reclining seat behind a reclining seat, then shame on them for not having the common sense to figure that one out.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian71 View Post
Wow, you are really a rude, unpleasant person. It's all about you, isn't it?
It's all about using the seat that I paid for in the manner in which it was designed. It's no different than having to share part of my seat with the obese guy who couldn't bother to buy a second seat. This is not my problem. It's called personal responsibility, something obviously lacking in many on this thread.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
I fit in my seat just fine. I do not need a seatbelt extension. I can and prefer to lower the arm rests. I do not come in contact with the passenger in the seat next to me. In other words, I meet all of the airlines criteria for sitting in my seat. Nowhere does it say that no matter what I must be able to sit so that I do not impede the reclining of the seat in front of me. In fact the airline I called said it was not a criteria at all.

So far you have only based your argument on "I said that is how it is so therefore it must be". You have yet to provide a single hard fact to support your position. It looks like the problem is your's and not mine. Deal with it.
You're the one complaining about bruised knees, not me.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thursdaymcgee View Post
The airlines allow me to travel with an infant on my lap. That's my right, because that's the rules they set. (Just projecting things I've heard on this thread...not usually how I discuss things with people, honestly...) And yes, if I wouldn't get a ticket for it, I would ABSOLUTELY put them in a car without a car seat, because 85% of car seats are misinstalled, making them a 60 pound projectile in a car accident instead of a safety feature. But we're not talking car seats, we're talking planes. And frankly, if that plane goes down, a car seat isn't saving my kid. That's a fact that's cold to put in writing, but it is what it is.

I am a VERY tolerant flyer who is always so extremely conscious of my children's behaviors on flights that I have never once taken a flight with them in which numerous strangers stop me afterwards to compliment them - but I have officially decided to keep some red-dye filled candy in my bag from now on in case you're sitting anywhere near us. Wow. I have never experienced someone with as much unabashed egotism, selfishness and self-righteousness in my life - and I work in Hollywood! This thread has made my day! What a read!
I hope you plan on paying dry cleaning bills.

So 85% of car seats are misinstalled, so you dont' want to use one. WOuldn't teh correct response be to figure out how to properly install it? Hollywood, yup, that explains a lot.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:27 AM

Quote:
No, a person can recline their seat, but as such, the airline is not going to make a passenger move if they are too tall for a person to recline their seat; the airlines have also established by practice that a person does not have an unrestricted right to recline their seat. If a seat will not recline due to the person behind being too tall, that is just too bad for the person wanting to recline.
However there is no rule that says that person can't continue to try to recline that seat as often and fast as they want through the flight.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I wish everyone felt the way that you do. Besides in the event of an actual emergency, who do you want at that exit door? I can rip it right off the frame of the plane if the crew asks me. (Hulk SMASH!)

I wish that airlines didn't monetize the exit rows. Many of those seats don't recline, anyway. So I'm not affecting the passengers in any direction of me. I'll just fold myself into my space and I'm not in anyone's way. There's also usually a seat near the flight attendant jump seats that they try to get for me.

Thankfully, the airline employees do a truly great job getting me someplace where my height isn't an issue. The sense of entitlement I see from some is just stunning. They bought a ticket on an airplane. They do not own the seat. If they are told they can't recline (take-off and landing, for instance), they must follow the instructions or they're potentially leaving the plane in handcuffs.

The first time I called an attendant to make the person in front of me stop slamming, he was using the wall of the bulkhead for leverage and trying to heave the seat back. The attendant told the man to knock it off or suffer the consequences. We could have switched positions, and he could have all the recline that he wanted. But no, he wanted the legroom and the recline. I understand why. Flying isn't comfortable and we all have to make due.

More than 90% of the time, I am able to prepare in advance and nobody suffers because of my height. And even that 1-in-10 flight, the flight crew is usually able to make it work. The problem is those full, last-minute flights where even first is full (they have moved me to first before). Nobody is going to be happy in that event. Sorry about that. I truly am. But I have every right to fly, just like the next (usually shorter) person. And if I ever have to fly and there's someone even taller than me (hasn't happened yet), I'll give up my seat if necessary that I did the legwork to make sure I got.

This has been my experience as well. The couple times this has been an issue, they have sided with me. Not the seat slammer.
yet you still haven't answered my question. Do you spend the money to buy the extra legroom seats? Based on the boded text, it appears that you don't. So instead of spending a few bucks to ensure your comfort, you expect everyone else to "make due."

Old 09-02-2014, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallybalt View Post
There are no absolute rights on an airline. No one "owns" their seat, they're just "renting" the seat for the duration of a flight. Just as when you rent something, there are always terms and conditions and expectations.

This is what we have:

1. Seats recline. This is nothing new. Seats have been reclining in airlines as long back as I can remember.

2. Anti reclining clamps are banned by the airlines.

3. No written policy that you must get approval of the person behind you to recline the seat. Is this ever announced by the flight attendants along with the intro to the flight at the beginning? I don't think so.
This. Other than take off and landing, the only time I have every heard an announcement asking people to not recline is during meals, which I have no issue with.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
Nor is there written policy that I must do whatever it takes so that someone can recline their seat.
There doesn't need to be a written policy, the fact that seats recline and anti-recline devices are banned is enough fact to prove the position.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoonalt View Post
We need more people like this in the world. What goes around comes around.
Guess what? I do buy extra space seats when I don't get an upgrade. I take responsibility for my comfort. I wish others would have the common sense to do so as well. I put my money where my mouth is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel