Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2014, 01:40 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,072,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
It would appear you don't have a clue either. Assuming the parking lot shuttle is standing by when you park and leaves just as soon as you board you will get to the terminal in ten minutes. Then it takes another 10 minutes to get thru screening. Based on your 2 hr 20 min example you will get to the boarding gate just in time to wave goodby to the aircraft as it is pushing away from the gate. It would appear that you have left out a few things in order to make you position look better. Every airline I fly requires you to be at the boarding gate at least 15 minutes and in some cases 30 minutes before the departure time. You also made no mention of the drive time to the airport. I also fail to see where you took into considration the time needed to get to the rental car company, rent a car and then drive to your final destination.
You are right, add in 20 minutes at the gate. My parking place is usually waiting for me as I pull in as long as I've made a reservation in advance.

Car rental, nope. Maybe a five minute bus ride, use one of the companies I'm set up with and the keys and rental agreement are in the car with my name on a board. Walk to the car, get in, stop for 30 seconds at the booth where they check my DL is the same as on the rental agreement and go.

Now I'm up to just under three hours. Again, versus eight or more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
So, when all of the carriers become idiots what do the frequent flyers plan on doing to get from point A to point B.
Considering the FF's are the lifeblood, there will be a couple who won't take out the recline.

Old 09-02-2014, 01:46 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,007,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You are right, add in 20 minutes at the gate. My parking place is usually waiting for me as I pull in as long as I've made a reservation in advance.

Car rental, nope. Maybe a five minute bus ride, use one of the companies I'm set up with and the keys and rental agreement are in the car with my name on a board. Walk to the car, get in, stop for 30 seconds at the booth where they check my DL is the same as on the rental agreement and go.

Now I'm up to just under three hours. Again, versus eight or more.
What about your drive time to and from the airport

Old 09-02-2014, 01:47 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,001,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRNDHOG View Post
Me too. I can't not prevent the seat from reclining. I've nowhere to put my legs as it is.
And has a flight attendant ever made an issue of this reality? Has anyone? (Except perhaps for the person in the seat in front of you.)

I only fly two or three times each year because I absolutely hate flying. But it's better than sailing to Asia and Europe (which is where I tend to travel on vacation). Once I reach my destination, I usually travel by train. No issues that way. I prefer rail travel to all other forms of travel.

I have crossed the pond dozens of times in the last decade, and never has my height been made an issue. The airline employees do a fantastic job. And they're always really pleasant about it, as well. That's been my experience. And I infer that Alaskan Mutt's experience has been similar, although he hasn't said so in detail. The airline employees are always able to make the logical leap that I cannot diet my way out of my size problem -- and I have found them to be unequivocally helpful in this regard.

So when confronted by people whose opinion boils down to "suck it, giant" I am wondering what fantasy land they're living in. Because the airlines have always been most accommodating for me.

PS -- Good news about corkscrews. But I think I'll stick with my current strategy of buying a travel corkscrew and then leaving it in the hotel room for the next visitor. I've never paid more than a Euro for a corkscrew.

Old 09-02-2014, 01:48 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,746,570 times
Quote:
Exactly, they can choose to recline as well.

Wrong, It's the people who clamoured for cheap airfares and had no loyalty and would buy a ticket because it was $3 cheaper on the competitor, even though said competitor offered less space. The traveling public is who caused this.

There will always be the option to buy more space. There already is, some people would rather just complain and inconvenience others instead of taking personal responsibility for their space needs.
I'm not tall by any means. I'm barely 5'5" in stocking feet. But I nearly always spend the extra money (or points!) to get more space.

Shorter flights, say less than 2-3 hours, I generally will stick with Premium Economy. Longer flights, I suck it up and take the financial hit (or dip into my points) for F or J. (Thankfully, my employer springs for J on international flights.)

It's not cheap, but it's worth it to me. I have a bad back and a chronic foot injury that requires I have to move my ankle around frequently, and I also have a scary family history of heart disease and am always concerned about DVT. So I build room for upgrades into my budget. Yes, it sucks that I wind up spending a lot of extra money, but the end result is important enough to me that I find a way to fund it.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:12 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,278,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
So, flying at the last minute for an emergency or funeral isn't sufficient reason for not planning ahead?
It doesn't even take an emergency or funeral. If my boss tells me I need to be at a meeting in NYC on Thursday, I can't exactly plan ahead. I have to take what I can get.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
What about your drive time to and from the airport
I'm 40 minutes door-to-door between the park and fly and my airport. That's probably the average around the country (some are five, others might be a couple of hours.)

If we are talking about my airport, then it's like this...

40 minutes to drive, 5 on the shuttle, 2 at security, 8 to the gate, arrive 15 minutes before take off and board immediately. Let's say I'm flying to PHL. Two hour flight. Get off plane, walk through airport and across the street to Budget. Car is ready, see my name on the board, walk to space, get in car, drive off. 20 minutes from the time I step off the plane, including a stop at Dunkin Donuts.

3 1/2 hours from my house to driving off to my destination. Still beats nine hours in a car.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
And has a flight attendant ever made an issue of this reality? Has anyone? (Except perhaps for the person in the seat in front of you.)

I only fly two or three times each year because I absolutely hate flying. But it's better than sailing to Asia and Europe (which is where I tend to travel on vacation). Once I reach my destination, I usually travel by train. No issues that way. I prefer rail travel to all other forms of travel.

I have crossed the pond dozens of times in the last decade, and never has my height been made an issue. The airline employees do a fantastic job. And they're always really pleasant about it, as well. That's been my experience. And I infer that Alaskan Mutt's experience has been similar, although he hasn't said so in detail. The airline employees are always able to make the logical leap that I cannot diet my way out of my size problem -- and I have found them to be unequivocally helpful in this regard.

So when confronted by people whose opinion boils down to "suck it, giant" I am wondering what fantasy land they're living in. Because the airlines have always been most accommodating for me.

PS -- Good news about corkscrews. But I think I'll stick with my current strategy of buying a travel corkscrew and then leaving it in the hotel room for the next visitor. I've never paid more than a Euro for a corkscrew.
You seriously expect people to not recline on a long haul? Wow. Talk about an "it's all about me" attitude.

We book at minimum premium economy on those flights as we like the extra space. The extra cost is minimal compared to the cost of long haul tickets to begin with--adds maybe 20%. I can't imagine telling someone on a long haul that they couldn't recline because I was too greedy to book a seat I could fit into and still allow others comfort.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:24 PM

254 posts, read 434,018 times
Quote:
Then why don't you buy extra legroom seats? Why should another passenger be inconvenienced and uncomfortable because of you? How would you feel if the person next to you weighed 400 pounds and took part of your space?

To be honest, I just don't want to. My legs fit perfectly between the seat and the forward seatback with no wiggle room. It's comfortable enough for the typical 2-3 hour flights I take. If I get the opportunity, I'll move to the exit row; then again, who doesn't? I'm flying Friday, as a matter of fact, and didn't pay the $12 (or whatever it is) to get more legroom. I fit into the space I'm allotted. I paid for my seat and all the legroom that seat offers.

To use your 400lb analogy, I'll counter and say if you don't want to sit in front of a tall guy then pay extra to sit elsewhere. Again, I fit just fine in the space I purchased for that flight.

You're talking about comfort on an airplane in coach/economy class. You're likely going to be inconvenienced and/or uncomfortable regardless of your size, with a few exceptions, yes. If you're looking for a guaranteed comfortable flying experience, you'd better pony up for first class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post

No, never. I think people just think their seat is broken/doesn't recline. I don't fly enough to get good statistical evidence to make a case either way, lol.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRNDHOG View Post
To be honest, I just don't want to. My legs fit perfectly between the seat and the forward seatback with no wiggle room. It's comfortable enough for the typical 2-3 hour flights I take. If I get the opportunity, I'll move to the exit row; then again, who doesn't? I'm flying Friday, as a matter of fact, and didn't pay the $12 (or whatever it is) to get more legroom. I fit into the space I'm allotted. I paid for my seat and all the legroom that seat offers.

To use your 400lb analogy, I'll counter and say if you don't want to sit in front of a tall guy then pay extra to sit elsewhere. Again, I fit just fine in the space I purchased for that flight.

You're talking about comfort on an airplane in coach/economy class. You're likely going to be inconvenienced and/or uncomfortable regardless of your size, with a few exceptions, yes. If you're looking for a guaranteed comfortable flying experience, you'd better pony up for first class.
Why should I be the one to pay extra to use my seat in the way it was designed when it is you keeping me from doing so? Go read the Flyertalk article. The FA always sides with the customer who wants to recline. ALWAYS.

By the way, if a seat won't recline, most people will give it a slam to get it to go back, thinking the mechanism is stuck. That's how you end up with bruised knees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel