Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2014, 10:42 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,796,338 times

Advertisements

Tall people need to get over their sense of entitlement in this world. This sort of attitude totally boggles my mind. Short people get discriminated day in and day out and are disadvantaged in various spheres in life, you don't see them complaining.. they just make the best of it.

In this particular case, it's one of the few times Tall people are at a disadvantage and what do they do? they whine and complain like little children. Just quit the whining and buy the additional space already OR deal with what's available without bothering others.

If you are that tall that you can't fit in an airline seat then you are an outlier and you need to adjust to the reality that you need to buy additional space just like you need to pay more for bigger clothes. Quit acting like the world owes you everything!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 10:48 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,001,725 times
And perhaps YOU should "suck it up, buttercup" and buy a seat in first class if you don't want to have to deal with us.

I'm not spending $10,000 for a first-class airline ticket, even if I could afford to do so. Because that's what they cost for the places that I tend to go. The flight attendants don't have a problem with me. The gate attendants don't, either. And the airlines themselves are happy to take my money and rent me space in their airplane. And ALL of them have been exceptionally nice to me while they're doing it. I don't have any complaints about airlines -- other than the space between the seats. (Then again, I never, ever check baggage.)

Old 09-03-2014, 11:49 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,374,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Simple..don't click and don't read
Good idea. I'll start now.

Old 09-03-2014, 01:04 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,345,641 times
Wow, stunned by the tall hostility (note - I'm 5'5, not even close to having issues with long legs or whatever).

Quote:
I can put up with the reclining seat in front of me and there's an expectation that the person in back of me will do the same. What I don't like is the person in back of me constantly grabbing the back of my chair to adjust themselves or get up/sit down.
Oh wow, I completely forgot about this. Gets me every time. See, I have longer hair. So that person GRABBING my seat back to get up pulls my hair. And it hurts.

Guess I need to cut it off? Or wear a bun?

Nope, people need to STOP. BEING. RUDE. Or at the very least, apologize when you yank my hair out.

Old 09-03-2014, 01:49 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,379,395 times
The only exception is if the person behind me is so incredibly tall that the seat physically hits their legs. If it doesn't hit their legs, it's reclined.

I fly a few times a year, and always recline and often have people in front of me recline. I've never seen it to be an issue.

Honestly, if someone behind me was a huge prick about it, and they weren't tall enough for it to hit their legs, it would be a problem. I would absolutely make a scene and a spectacle out of them, so you better hope that if you're enough of a prick to block my seat, you're also up to getting involved in making a scene. Not to the point a flight would get diverted, but to the point the person behind me would likely feel embarrassed. People think they are a harda** but then back down pretty quick when things escalate.

I'm amazed this is an issue, yet it's not often brought up about the 300lb people who are gushing over into your personal space..

Old 09-03-2014, 01:53 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,952,353 times
Get ready for more confrontations....airlines are moving seats even closer.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/local...onditions1.ece

Old 09-03-2014, 02:00 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,569,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
The only exception is if the person behind me is so incredibly tall that the seat physically hits their legs. If it doesn't hit their legs, it's reclined.

I fly a few times a year, and always recline and often have people in front of me recline. I've never seen it to be an issue.

Honestly, if someone behind me was a huge prick about it, and they weren't tall enough for it to hit their legs, it would be a problem. I would absolutely make a scene and a spectacle out of them, so you better hope that if you're enough of a prick to block my seat, you're also up to getting involved in making a scene. Not to the point a flight would get diverted, but to the point the person behind me would likely feel embarrassed. People think they are a harda** but then back down pretty quick when things escalate.

I'm amazed this is an issue, yet it's not often brought up about the 300lb people who are gushing over into your personal space..
Are you kidding me? Obesity is the last acceptable condition to make fun of, I see no shortage of people insulting larger people.

So, what kind of behavior would be considered prickish to you? If the person behind you said "Do you mind not reclining, I have no room?" Would that set you off? So it has to be literally touching the persons knees for you to have any sort of decency? Does the concept of a little space to move your legs mean anything to anyone? Your seat barely reclines anyway, right? I mean, everyone else keeps saying the reclining is barely discernible so why such passion about the need to recline in the first place? The person who barely has leg room suffers way more than you do if you recline into them. And believe me, if you gave me attitude about reclining your seat to the point where you would take joy in making a spectacle out of it, there's not a chance in hell I would back down from you. I have no respect for people with attitudes such as yours. Maybe we'll encounter each other on a flight soon!

Old 09-03-2014, 02:14 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,449,992 times
We carefully look at seat spacing (not in front of the emergency exit, etc.). I have paid a premium just for leg room.

Old 09-03-2014, 02:29 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,001,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
We carefully look at seat spacing (not in front of the emergency exit, etc.). I have paid a premium just for leg room.
My "problem flights" arise when I cannot do that. Sometimes I have to fly on short notice, too. Even THEN, the gate attendants and flight attendants are usually able to put me somewhere where I fit (and where I don't inconvenience other passengers).

But sometimes I roll snake-eyes and I'm stuck behind someone. They're not reclining because it cannot be done. I'm in agony. But even then, the flight attendants usually just invite me to hang out in the galley with them for MOST of the trip. I at least get several very long breaks from "the chair."

Like I keep saying, nothing but love for flight attendants. They really go above and beyond to help me out.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:58 PM

44,635 posts, read 61,653,458 times
Reclining back and encroaching into someone's space that they already paid for and expecting to have that room for their convenience is just plain inconsiderate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel