Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2014, 11:41 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,072,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Great attitude, Scoop! But may I suggest an alternative to buying them a beer? One that will be way more valuable to that airline employee.

Get the name of the helpful agent/attendant and write it down on your boarding card. When you get home, take 3 minutes of your time to go to the airline website and click on "contact us". (it's usually small print and well hidden.) You will find an area for complaints and compliments. You'll need the boarding card because they usually ask for date, flight number, etc. Write something short about how great the employee was, perfect representative of the airline, etc. That written compliment goes a long way for that helpful agent.

everybody takes the time to complain. Some seem to enjoy it, even. I do write letters of complaint, but rarely. I write letters complimenting excellent service much more often - to many companies in different industries. Making a difference in a POSITUVE way feels so good.
Anyone who is actually a frequent flyer with their carrier of choice automatically gets a handful of cards in the mail every year to give to employees who do something extra or provide exceptional service. Obviously many on this thread who claim to be frequent flyers, aren't, or they would know this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
My legs are a reason. As you've heard from several people here, if you adventure out into the real world with that attitude, people that are bigger than you are going to respond to your nasty aggressive behavior. Even if you tell me you're going to recline it, my legs will still block it. If you attempt to use force to dislodge my legs, I will consider it assault and respond in kind. Since I'm bigger, it is unlikely to end well for you. Since you started it, you are unlikely to find a great deal of sympathy. If I tell you in advance that I'm going to slam into the back of your seat, will that solve the problem? It isn't your right. Get over yourself.
Why don't you put your money where your mouth is and buy space you can actually fit in.

Old 09-07-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
And perhaps YOU should "suck it up, buttercup" and buy a seat in first class if you don't want to have to deal with us.

I'm not spending $10,000 for a first-class airline ticket, even if I could afford to do so. Because that's what they cost for the places that I tend to go. The flight attendants don't have a problem with me. The gate attendants don't, either. And the airlines themselves are happy to take my money and rent me space in their airplane. And ALL of them have been exceptionally nice to me while they're doing it. I don't have any complaints about airlines -- other than the space between the seats. (Then again, I never, ever check baggage.)
Of course you refuse to look at other options like premium economy--which typically runs about 25-30% more than an economy seat. Put your money where your mouth is and get rid of your entitlement mentality.

Old 09-07-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Are you kidding me? Obesity is the last acceptable condition to make fun of, I see no shortage of people insulting larger people.

So, what kind of behavior would be considered prickish to you? If the person behind you said "Do you mind not reclining, I have no room?" Would that set you off? So it has to be literally touching the persons knees for you to have any sort of decency? Does the concept of a little space to move your legs mean anything to anyone? Your seat barely reclines anyway, right? I mean, everyone else keeps saying the reclining is barely discernible so why such passion about the need to recline in the first place? The person who barely has leg room suffers way more than you do if you recline into them. And believe me, if you gave me attitude about reclining your seat to the point where you would take joy in making a spectacle out of it, there's not a chance in hell I would back down from you. I have no respect for people with attitudes such as yours. Maybe we'll encounter each other on a flight soon!
So the person in front of me has reclined, yet I need to suffer because some jerk behind me didn't bother to consider that they wouldn't fit into the seat the way it's made to operate--ie with the one in front of it reclined--and buy one that would work? Talk about selfish! It's OK for me to lose space but not the selfish jerk behind me? No way.

Old 09-07-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Reclining back and encroaching into someone's space that they already paid for and expecting to have that room for their convenience is just plain inconsiderate.
So what happens when the person who also paid for their seat can't recline but the person in front of them does? The person who needs more space than what is allotted with the seat in front reclined should buy a seat they can fit in. It is not my responsibility to check to see who will be behind me before I book a ticket that allows me to recline.

Old 09-07-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Had this thought this evening, as I settled in my favorite chair ... Airplane seats should have been designed like space saver recliners. The seat portion moves forward, so that the back doesn't actually use any additional space. You can place a space saver recliner up close to a wall, and recline with no problem.

I'm sure we'll never see this redesign, but if they were designed this way, the only person affected by reclining would be the person doing the reclining.
Obviously another who doesn't fly much if at all. Most premium economy and some business class seats are designed exactly this way, and have been for probably a decade.

Old 09-07-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
God I wish you were in front of me. Id kick and kick the seat back. When you looked back, irritated, I'd just smile and say "ooops my bad". Then I'd do it again. Id sneeze into the back of your head and otherwise do anything I could to annoy you. if I had the chance id even spill a drink on you, "oops Im so sorry, turbulence". My guess is that you are the type who can be provoked and will lose your temper, hopefully reaching out to strike me. Then the fun would begin.
Actually you are wrong.

First of all, unless you are about eight feet tall, you wouldn't be tall enough to sneeze over the seat back unless you stood up and did it on purpose. Every time you kicked my seat, I'd slam back into your knees. If you spill a drink on me, the FA is getting involved, and it would be you who would have a problem with the air marshall.

Old 09-07-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
I've experienced it first hand. But the banging doesn't do a damned thing. And the last time this happened to me the attendant sided with me. Stop banging against people's knees or suffer the consequences.
Considering by your own admission you fly once or twice a year, I highly doubt this.

Old 09-07-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Again, you are not getting it, either on purpose or just plain stupidity; the person behind you ALSO paid for their seat space, what do you not comprehend about that? No where, and I mean NO WHERE, is it stated you have an unrestricted right to recline your seat. You cannot at all show anything proving you do.

The person did buy the space they need, it is not their problem you want to intrude into their space. The airline sells "33" of seat space", then that is what they purchased, no where does it state "33" of seat space or less if the person in front reclines", please show me where it states ANYWHERE on your travel papers from the airline that you have an unrestricted right to recline, and the person behind you is subservient to your reclining.
I don't need to. The seat reclines, if the carrier didn't want and expect people to use that feature, they would disable it. If you don't want someone to recline in front of you, book one of the seats where the rows in front are fixed--the exit rows are a good start. yes, you might pay a few bucks more, but put your money where your mouth is. The person in front of me reclines, I'm going to recline to get the same space I paid for. If you keep me from using the seat I paid for, you'd better plan on coughing up some cash.

Old 09-07-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
And the special snowflakes would whine about people moving the seat forward in that case. People would invent plastic devices that impede the forward progress of the seat.
Again you prove that you seldom if ever fly--I'm beginning to think you've never been on a plane. Seats like this have been in use for well over a decade.

Quote:
Also, how are sliding seats going to help in an emergency? Airplane seats are, first and foremost, safety devices. Sure, a ratchet much like automobile seat belts could stop the seat from slamming forward in the event of a crash. But that's just one more thing that could potentially go wrong.
Go look at a few videos of how these seats work and you'll see they don't impede anything.

Quote:
We all want more room -- a few of us more than most. But the MARKET always selects "cheap" over "comfortable." Until that changes -- until enough people vote with their wallet and select flights where seat pitch is a major consideration -- nothing will change.

So long as the vast majority click on the lowest-priced flight, we're in for more fights between passengers and more diversions. I've got my system for making sure I am not affected -- because "avoidance of pain" is a powerful motivator. But I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority of the air traveling public.
So you'd be willing to pay for more space? Why don't you do it now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel