Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Airliners you'll never fly?
China Airlines 16 41.03%
Air France 7 17.95%
Malaysian Airlines 29 74.36%
Iran Air 21 53.85%
Egypt Air 14 35.90%
Thai Airways 8 20.51%
Ethiopian Airlines 20 51.28%
Korean Air 8 20.51%
Garuda Indonesia 16 41.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 06:28 PM

60 posts, read 64,093 times

Advertisements

@OP how did you come up with this list of airlines? Safety records? Your own experiences? Outside reviews? It sure is a weird bunch. Honestly, from my own experiences, my list would look like this:

Ryanair (London-Luton to Warsaw-Modlin, you have to pay to use the bathroom and pretty much everything else, and the service is worse than mediocre, but I guess that's expected of a low cost carrier, still they couldn't even come close to Southwest? P.S. they now offer seats that aren't even seats at all, you strap yourself into them standing up and enjoy your flight!)
Air China (Beijing to San Francisco, iffy food, cramped seats, unhelpful flight attendants makes for a very uncomfortable flight)
Spirit Airlines (Fort Lauderdale to Aruba, the US version of Ryanair, though I will say that I prefer this one a little bit more)
Saudia (Los Angeles to Jeddah, and then Jeddah to Bahrain, some of the flight attendants couldn't speak English and there were people staring at me on the Jeddah-Bahrain portion because I was the only non-Muslim on the plane! I will admit this was just personal experience and in no way do I hate Muslims, the food and service was decent otherwise but I just felt so uncomfortable)
Royal Air Maroc (Amsterdam to Casablanca, unlike Saudia, the service was not decent and I had to call the flight attendant over 3 times before they finally gave me water, very uncomfortable seats and my seat recliner was broken, go ahead and say "You can't recline on an airplane" but hey I think even you who say that will admit a broken seat reclining system looks bad)
Air Koryo (Beijing to Pyongyang, the only 1-star airline certainly lived up to expectations, words cannot describe the experience, you just have to experience it yourself to see how far behind this airline company is, don't ask for any pictures, I didn't take any out of morbid fear the flight attendants would turn me in if they found out)
Royal Brunei Airlines (Kuala Lumpur to Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei is a luxurious and amazing country, but that didn't translate into their airline, even though the flight was short but like the Royal Air Maroc flight my seat recliner was broken, I can't believe it happened twice, oh and no drink of any sort was served the entire way, I guess they must've ran out or something but that made a bad experience worse)
China Eastern Airlines (San Francisco to Shanghai, look at the comments about Air China)

I believe these airlines will make you fall in love with the airlines on this list. Of course, I'm sure there are even worse regional airlines out there that will make you fall in love with the airlines on this list too, though I've never flown them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 07:08 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,005,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
How could you not have put Asiana Airlines on this list? They had pilots fly trans-Pacific routes who never flew that type of plane before!! The pilot and co-pilot who crash landed that plane at SFO had never landed that type of jet before, not only at SFO, but anywhere!!
I find it hard to believe both the pilot and the co-pilot had never landed a B777 before. The PIC, who was in the right seat at the time, had over 3200 hours flying the B777. I am sure he had many landings in a B777.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:26 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,240,257 times
Why isn't ALL an option? I don't trust any of them............

Old 08-29-2014, 08:07 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,430,247 times
None of the above

however I refuse to fly with KLM/Northwest, American Airlines or United. Had problems in the past with all 3, leaky escape doors, broken seats, puke down the side of the seat .... and on and on and on ...

I have flown with Ryan Air, the plane was a brand new 737, we were not charged for using the toilets, the coffee was good and flights both ways were on time. My son flies with them all the time and has never had any problems and also has never reported having to stand up. In this case misinformation rules the air apparently.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:56 PM

60 posts, read 64,093 times
@Jan Alaska you have to forgive me for the bathroom thing, nobody else on the plane was using the bathroom because everyone else was like me, thinking you'd have to pay to use the bathroom. You're right, there is a lot of misinformation out there! And thanks for catching me on the stand up seats thing, I forgot to check it never went through (gladly)! If you really just want to get somewhere fast, then Ryanair is the plane for you. However, I care about the service a plane provides, and that was almost nonexistent on my Ryanair flight.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:26 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,960,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
You forgot : American, United, Delta. These are 3 I will never fly.
I was talking about how unsafe they are rather than how bad their service is (unfriendly crew, uncomfortable seats, etc). These three planes rarely had any significant crashes (not counting 9/11 attacks). American Airlines had considerable incidents decades ago, but they seem to have waned in this century.

Quote:
How could you not have put Asiana Airlines on this list? They had pilots fly trans-Pacific routes who never flew that type of plane before!! The pilot and co-pilot who crash landed that plane at SFO had never landed that type of jet before, not only at SFO, but anywhere!!.
I was about to include Asiana but I noticed it had one major crash, which was in 1993 (Asiana Airlines Flight 733) where 66 people died. Only 3 passengers died in the recent incident. Just two 'major' incidents in Asiana's history really. A safe airline if you ask me, at least compared to those I listed.

I noticed Thai Airways had two major incidents in the last 50 years - I guess I shouldn't have included it. Should've done American Airlines or Pakistan Airlines instead.

Last edited by Ethereal; 08-29-2014 at 10:29 PM..

Old 08-29-2014, 10:48 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,550,899 times
Quote:
How could you not have put Asiana Airlines on this list? They had pilots fly trans-Pacific routes who never flew that type of plane before!! The pilot and co-pilot who crash landed that plane at SFO had never landed that type of jet before, not only at SFO, but anywhere!!

I flew Air France a couple of times from Philadelphia to Paris and both the food and service were excellent. They no longer fly that route. There seems to be a lot of hatred in this thread for American Airlines. When I was a child they were a fantastic airline. Times sure have changed.

"While Lee Kang-guk, who was at the controls, was making his first landing at San Francisco in a Boeing 777, his supervisor, Lee Jeong-min, is very experienced with both the plane and the airport, Asiana President Yoon Young-doo told a news conference in Seoul Tuesday. Both pilots were interviewed by investigators Monday."

Lee Jeong-min has experience landing at San Francisco airport 33 times in a 777," Mr. Yoon said. "And as a trainer, while 500 hours of experience is required, he has more than 3,200 hours of experience."

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...94941969270474

Old 08-30-2014, 03:06 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmARandomAnonymousUser View Post
@OP how did you come up with this list of airlines? Safety records? Your own experiences? Outside reviews? It sure is a weird bunch. Honestly, from my own experiences, my list would look like this:

Ryanair (London-Luton to Warsaw-Modlin, you have to pay to use the bathroom and pretty much everything else, and the service is worse than mediocre, but I guess that's expected of a low cost carrier, still they couldn't even come close to Southwest? P.S. they now offer seats that aren't even seats at all, you strap yourself into them standing up and enjoy your flight!)
Nope--those were just crazy things their marketing team dreamed up for publicity. Ryan Air doesn't charge for bathrooms, and the seats are just like on any other plane, albeit tightly crammed together.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:39 AM

27,222 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I wouldn't fly any African airline
South African Airways, Royal Air Maroc, Gambia Bird, Senegal Airlines and Ethiopian Airlines are all good to very good carriers, so not sure why the blanketing statement.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:13 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
South African Airways, Royal Air Maroc, Gambia Bird, Senegal Airlines and Ethiopian Airlines are all good to very good carriers, so not sure why the blanketing statement.
Just not comfortable with any of them for a million different reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel