Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 05:25 AM

1,339 posts, read 3,466,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Back around 1985 when my daughter was around 7 years old, she was flying alone on a flight from WA to TN where I was (she'd gone to visit her dad). I kept close tabs on her flight and she was to make a connection somewhere like Dallas, and they always put her with a steward who would walk her to her connecting flight and make sure she was on board and tucked in (she did this several times).

One time the airline said she wouldn't make her connecting flight and I freaked out. They assured me some nice stewardess would take her home for the night. WHAT??????? I lost it on the phone with them, that they better NOT send her home with some stranger, and they better get her on her connecting flight.

They did.

So, when a plane is held for late passengers, I always wonder if there's some unaccompanied child they're making sure gets on the flight.
This has to be the best travel story ever!! Taking a random kid home and expecting the parents to be, "Oh, well, then that's okay. My daughter does get up in the night so can you please extend your obnoxious niceness and have her sleep with you in your bed?"!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 10:47 AM

6,701 posts, read 5,928,489 times
15-20 minutes? Yes.

60-90 minutes? No.

If your first flight is late, you will appreciate that the connection waited for you, simple as that. If it's beyond late, then the airline needs to find you a different flight, on their dime.

It does pay to book your itinerary so that you have at least an hour between legs. 20 minutes between legs is just asking for trouble!

Old 11-04-2014, 11:38 AM

131 posts, read 182,646 times
Even 20 minutes can mess up the life of hundreds people on the plane who were forced to sit and wait for three people!

The rights of many are more important that the convenience of the few.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:58 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,831,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
15-20 minutes? Yes.
Most airlines schedule themselves that much of a buffer on their flights to begin with in order to make their on-time arrivals percentage number look good in assorted reports and news stories. Their operations office will know how much they can go into that buffer and have a delayed departure still get you a scheduled on time arrival without having to burn extra fuel along the way.

Old 11-04-2014, 12:00 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,948,525 times
If it's for me, absolutely! If it's for the other guy, no way.

Old 11-04-2014, 12:11 PM

11,759 posts, read 14,648,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Office Politics View Post
Even 20 minutes can mess up the life of hundreds people on the plane who were forced to sit and wait for three people!

The rights of many are more important that the convenience of the few.
How do you figure? In most cases a 20-minute delay in takeoff won't even make the flight late to arrive.

Old 11-04-2014, 12:21 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,491,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutra11 View Post
This has to be the best travel story ever!! Taking a random kid home and expecting the parents to be, "Oh, well, then that's okay. My daughter does get up in the night so can you please extend your obnoxious niceness and have her sleep with you in your bed?"!!!!!!!
No kidding! I told the person on the phone who was so la tee dah about this, that they better get her on that plane, or hold her at that airport and get me to her pronto, or I was going to start calling every possible news outlet I could find to tell them they were sending my child home with some stranger without my permission!

It's so nuts it's hard to believe it's a true story. Can you imagine this? I guess it makes me feel better about being delayed when I picture it's because of someone's unaccompanied kid. I never let her fly solo again after that. I spent thousands accompanying her across country on flights for myself and hotel rooms. Scared the living daylights out of me.

Old 11-04-2014, 01:06 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,030,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Back around 1985 when my daughter was around 7 years old, she was flying alone on a flight from WA to TN where I was (she'd gone to visit her dad). I kept close tabs on her flight and she was to make a connection somewhere like Dallas, and they always put her with a steward who would walk her to her connecting flight and make sure she was on board and tucked in (she did this several times).

One time the airline said she wouldn't make her connecting flight and I freaked out. They assured me some nice stewardess would take her home for the night. WHAT??????? I lost it on the phone with them, that they better NOT send her home with some stranger, and they better get her on her connecting flight.

They did.

So, when a plane is held for late passengers, I always wonder if there's some unaccompanied child they're making sure gets on the flight.
I've seen UM's not make connections. Some carriers won't allow them to book on final flights of the day, but when there's weather or other situations not under the control of the airline, it does happen.

They aren't sent "home" with anyone, but rather are taken to a hotel where they are put in a connecting room with a FA who makes sure they are fed and that the parent(s) is aware of where they are and what flight they will be on the next day.

Anyone who can't handle that shouldn't be putting a child on a plane alone. Either take them yourself or pay for a friend or family member to do so.

Old 11-04-2014, 01:18 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,491,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post

They aren't sent "home" with anyone, but rather are taken to a hotel where they are put in a connecting room with a FA who makes sure they are fed and that the parent(s) is aware of where they are and what flight they will be on the next day.
Being in a hotel with an adjoining room to a stranger makes all the difference...

Seriously, would this be okay with you?

I do agree that parents should not fly their kids solo, because this could happen.

Old 11-04-2014, 01:22 PM

4,511 posts, read 5,051,149 times
We had such an experience once. We were delayed in Puerto Rico because of bad weather and landed in Atlanta late, they held our connecting flight and when we got off of our plane they loaded 5 of us on one of those baggage vehicles and literally drove under the wing of a plane that was backing out of a gate, down a runway for a short distance, through a building and over to the waiting plane where we ran up a stairway and as the door closed the Captain said "We're on our way" and was moving before we even sat down. It was at midnight so I doubt that anyone saw us doing that but I wish there had been video cameras back then. The stewardess said they couldn't believe it when they saw us coming on that cart. Fortunately, most of the people that had been waiting thought it was pretty funny. I don't remember how long they had been waiting for us but we laugh every time we tell the story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel