Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 12:38 PM

131 posts, read 182,658 times

Advertisements

Last time I was on an airplane they loaded everyone on the plane on time and when it was time to leave the gate nothing happened. Finally about twenty minutes later they announced they were holding the plane for some connecting passengers. After another 30 minutes three additional people came on board from that late flight. Finally about an hour after we were suppose to leave we left the gate. An hour delay for three people.

We arrived late at my destination and many of the people on our flight missed their connections at the next airport. Thanks to those three people and the airline that held the plane for just three people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 12:45 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
On a Flight from a Hub to a end point, where it the last flight of the day, Yes, most of the time.

From a Hub to Hub, Probably not, Unless there is a Special Reason that they need to hold the H->H flight to allow them to connect. You don't know the reason why it was held.

Could be family of a military Member Traveling to Be with Critically Injured Service Member. Who is not expected to make it.

(Done, RedCross Military Family Service work, and the airlines bend over backwards to help when they know its real.)

Old 11-03-2014, 01:23 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
short answer is NO. It is the passenger's responsibility to be on time for the take off. You can't expect 200 people waiting just because one person is late. Whether it is the last flight of the day is irrelevant. You can't expect others (not to say many others) to waste time for your own mistake.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:26 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,236,789 times
also No if the the airline your getting off is different then the one you are connecting on too
not the one airlines fault if the other one is late

Old 11-03-2014, 01:30 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,608,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
short answer is NO. It is the passenger's responsibility to be on time for the take off. You can't expect 200 people waiting just because one person is late. Whether it is the last flight of the day is irrelevant. You can't expect others (not to say many others) to waste time for your own mistake.
It's not the passengers fault if they are late for a connecting flight.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:33 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I believe the OP was talking about a connecting flight that came in later than expected & THAT is why they allowed the passengers on. Not that the passengers themselves didn't make it to their flight on time. My initial connection in ATL to Managua was only 45 minutes. Believe me, I was crazed wondering how I was going to make that connection. Delta eventually switched my flight so I now have a 2 hour layover which for whatever reason still makes me a little nervous but way better than 45 minutes. So, if my flight from Milwaukee into Atlanta would've been delayed or late & arrived very close to the departure time of my Atlanta to Managua flight, that would not have been my fault, that is the fault of the airline for having such a stupid flight route that leaves their international passengers with only a 45 minute layover.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:35 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,271,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Office Politics View Post
We arrived late at my destination and many of the people on our flight missed their connections at the next airport. Thanks to those three people and the airline that held the plane for just three people.
How do you know their flights weren't held for them?

Old 11-03-2014, 01:58 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,982,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I believe the OP was talking about a connecting flight that came in later than expected & THAT is why they allowed the passengers on. Not that the passengers themselves didn't make it to their flight on time. My initial connection in ATL to Managua was only 45 minutes. Believe me, I was crazed wondering how I was going to make that connection. Delta eventually switched my flight so I now have a 2 hour layover which for whatever reason still makes me a little nervous but way better than 45 minutes. So, if my flight from Milwaukee into Atlanta would've been delayed or late & arrived very close to the departure time of my Atlanta to Managua flight, that would not have been my fault, that is the fault of the airline for having such a stupid flight route that leaves their international passengers with only a 45 minute layover.
We got stuck by British Airways when connecting from DFW through Heathrow to Paris. Our original flight was late leaving DFW and when we got to Heathrow, we tried running to make the connection but having to go through the herd at customs just made it impossible, so one of the Heathrow staff told us to just give up and wait in line, so we missed our connection for several hours. It wasn't that big of a deal but it did sort of frustrate us because it was BA's fault 1) that the flight was late (they let a Lufthansa bag get on the plane!) and 2) for having such a tight connection on a very common flight.

A couple of years later when flying KLM from DFW through Amsterdam to Rome, the flight got into Amsterdam late so once again, we were running to make the connection. They were much nicer there, pushed us through customs ahead of those who weren't connecting, looked at our ticket and called ahead to the gate for us. They held the gate and the plane for the few extra minutes it took for us to get there, and it was GREATLY appreciated because it was no fault of ours that we were late. Even my then-74-year-old mother was running through the airport pulling her bag.

Missing a connection DOES cause problems, especially if you're staying in a rented apartment at your destination where you've got a pre-arranged meeting time. It isn't like you can just call them and tell them you'll be late (even if you DID have international calling on your phone, which so many people do not have when traveling.)

Old 11-03-2014, 02:03 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
We got stuck by British Airways when connecting from DFW through Heathrow to Paris. Our original flight was late leaving DFW and when we got to Heathrow, we tried running to make the connection but having to go through the herd at customs just made it impossible, so one of the Heathrow staff told us to just give up and wait in line, so we missed our connection for several hours. It wasn't that big of a deal but it did sort of frustrate us because it was BA's fault 1) that the flight was late (they let a Lufthansa bag get on the plane!) and 2) for having such a tight connection on a very common flight.

A couple of years later when flying KLM from DFW through Amsterdam to Rome, the flight got into Amsterdam late so once again, we were running to make the connection. They were much nicer there, pushed us through customs ahead of those who weren't connecting, looked at our ticket and called ahead to the gate for us. They held the gate and the plane for the few extra minutes it took for us to get there, and it was GREATLY appreciated because it was no fault of ours that we were late. Even my then-74-year-old mother was running through the airport pulling her bag.

Missing a connection DOES cause problems, especially if you're staying in a rented apartment at your destination where you've got a pre-arranged meeting time. It isn't like you can just call them and tell them you'll be late (even if you DID have international calling on your phone, which so many people do not have when traveling.)
Yes. If my flight to Milwaukee is late to Atlanta & I miss the connecting flight to Managua, I'd be screwed because that flight out of Atlanta is the last flight to Managua for that day. So I'd have to take one the next day & miss my flight that leaves out of Managua to Big Corn Island. Then I'd be stuck at Managua airport for the night & have to take the flight to Big Corn the FOLLOWING day, thus missing a night that was already paid for on Little Corn Island, my destination. So making that connecting flight is crucial in this instance since everything hinges on it. What a pain in the butt. But, I'm sure it will be worth it, I think Little Corn is going to be paradise. Only a couple more days!

Old 11-03-2014, 02:16 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,982,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Yes. If my flight to Milwaukee is late to Atlanta & I miss the connecting flight to Managua, I'd be screwed because that flight out of Atlanta is the last flight to Managua for that day. So I'd have to take one the next day & miss my flight that leaves out of Managua to Big Corn Island. Then I'd be stuck at Managua airport for the night & have to take the flight to Big Corn the FOLLOWING day, thus missing a night that was already paid for on Little Corn Island, my destination. So making that connecting flight is crucial in this instance since everything hinges on it. What a pain in the butt. But, I'm sure it will be worth it, I think Little Corn is going to be paradise. Only a couple more days!
Good luck with that and yes, with a trip destination like that, every second counts. I had never heard of Little Corn Island but I just googled it and WOW!!! I need to add it to my list. That looks like the diving would be unbelievable!!! Enjoy it and please let me know how it is/post pictures!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel