Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 02:34 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,609,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I don't mind driving in snow (unless it's a flat out blizzard), but ice is the worst.

That said, I grew up driving in it in Upstate New York.

One problem is that in late December there might not be snow anywhere South of I-90. I would make plans for someplace in Western VA or MD, but make sure they are cancellable up to a couple days in advance if there is either no snow, or a blizzard predicted.
How about somewhere with mountains? Maybe a nice town at the bottom of the mountain, and they can drive up to see the snow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 02:40 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
How about somewhere with mountains? Maybe a nice town at the bottom of the mountain, and they can drive up to see the snow?
That would pretty much put you north of I90. South of that point there is absolutely zero guarantee of snow in December... even in areas with mountains. The Catskills and Alleghenys aren't the Alps.

Old 08-10-2015, 03:02 PM

2,123 posts, read 1,795,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
In DC, your odds of snow in December/January is only going to be around 50%. Most of the time, if it snows, it immediately melts. I think you'll have better odds in the mountain areas in WV or VA near Shenandoah National Park and the Appalachian mountain ranges where it can accumulate. Just check the weather and keep on driving north to where the forecasts show recent snow and cold weather.
I know but for people who have never seen snow, a brief snow shower that doesn't stick is as exciting as a full blown storm. I remember my mom screaming in delight at seeing a pile of week old soot covered snow, I had to tell her that it wasn't real snow and that she needed to calm down but to her it was real snow. I think that DC works cause it isn't that far of a drive compared to other locations further north, generally bad weather only lasts a day or two and they would have the Metro as a back up to get around the area. If it doesn't know there is usually snow at Ski Liberty, Whitetail, or Roundtop. They can get to these resorts in about 2 hours spend a few hours and drive back the same day. The benefit is that if you are spending a week in DC you can check the conditions and drive up on the day that has the most favorable conditions. Worst case they may need to travel out to Roanoke, VA or the Deep Creek Lake area of Maryland, those would be better as an overnight visit.

Old 08-10-2015, 03:30 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
The nearest ski resort is actually in north Georgia. But the chances of real snow are pretty slim. Go a couple hundred miles north to the ski resort in N. Carolina you will have a better chance. Banner Elk is a good target - they get a decent (by eastern standards) 40 inches of snow a year on average in the town, much more on the slopes. This is higher elevation - elevation, even in the south, means cold and snow. Driving up a thousand feet is equal to driving north 200 miles. The ski slopes in that area should at least have machine made snow.
Either way, it's going to be hit and miss anywhere in the eastern half of the US in december.
If you want a better chance for snow, drive west. You can probably hit New Mexico and "real mountains" in 2 days of very long driving.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:37 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
Stone Mountain GA has snow. A few hours north of that is Gatlinburg, TN and that's an amazing place to visit. I wouldn't go any further than the Smokeys.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:52 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
Did I miss something? Is this a driving trip?

Most importantly, what is your budget for the week?

If you want guaranteed snow, fly and go to Whistler, Vail, or Aspen.

Old 08-11-2015, 05:12 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Did I miss something? Is this a driving trip?

Most importantly, what is your budget for the week?

The OP said they wanted to drive. I'm assuming that either the budget is fairly low, or someone in their group is opposed to getting on an airplane.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:13 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
If you only got a week and you want to guarantee a snowy vacation then blueherons idea makes sense as in late December you can drive all the way to the Laurentians north of Montreal and still not see snow,or you may see snow in northern Georgia.
Re-reading your first post it seems this wont be a skiing trip which makes me wonder what you plan on doing if you do run into snow.
i'm also concerned at your cars probable lack of winter snow tires.
A suggestion ,Fly up to Quebec city and enjoy North Americas largest winter carnival.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=quebe...IVxDY-Ch2sTwRP

Old 08-11-2015, 08:28 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If you only got a week and you want to guarantee a snowy vacation then blueherons idea makes sense as in late December you can drive all the way to the Laurentians north of Montreal and still not see snow,or you may see snow in northern Georgia.
Re-reading your first post it seems this wont be a skiing trip which makes me wonder what you plan on doing if you do run into snow.
i'm also concerned at your cars probable lack of winter snow tires.
A suggestion ,Fly up to Quebec city and enjoy North Americas largest winter carnival.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=quebe...IVxDY-Ch2sTwRP
My suggestion to the OP would be forget the scheduled trip and just watch the weather. North Georgia mountains will get snow at least sometime during the season, some times it drops down to middle Georgia. It doesn't last long. The N. Carolina/TN Mountains get dumped on several times in a season, and it can get heavy.
Just watch the weather forecast, take the 12 hour drive up there for the weekend (make sure there is still snow cover because it will melt fast at lower elevations), and drive back (be aware - they do close roads, particularly around the Smokies). There, they experienced snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel