Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2008, 05:07 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times

Advertisements

I haven't been to Prague for almost 20 years and was wondering if anyone could recommend some good restaurants, cafes and tea-rooms ( like Gerbaud in Budapest for example).

Or even places to eat in the rest of the Czech Republic and Slovakia.
I'm going there for 2 weeks in May and would appreciate any recommendations.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 06:24 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,356,657 times
Moderator cut: site removed I was traveling with a small child (2 years old at the time), so I doubt the places I frequented would be what you are after, though.

Last edited by Jammie; 01-30-2008 at 08:33 AM.. Reason: it's a competitor site and now allowed. Sorry.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:57 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,228,990 times
Moose

I did the drive through Slovakia, Hungary and Prague 3 years ago.

The best Goulash I had was at the Ikea in Budapest (There were two). Prague was good for cold beer in a really tall pilsner glass.

In Ptuj, Slovakia, my wife an I had a meat combo grill platter at a large restaurant at the end of the old main street. We were a bit unsure about the pricing. It said something about the equivalent of 15USD min two persons. We didn't know if it was 15 for two or 2X15. A huge platter of meats showed up. Turn out to be 15USD total.

Ptuj. When I checked out of the hotel, I asked the reception how the Ptuj was pronounced. The very pretty receptionist said Ptoooey. The two Scandinavian customers ahead of me could not contain themselves.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder View Post
Moose

I did the drive through Slovakia, Hungary and Prague 3 years ago.

The best Goulash I had was at the Ikea in Budapest (There were two). Prague was good for cold beer in a really tall pilsner glass.

In Ptuj, Slovakia, my wife an I had a meat combo grill platter at a large restaurant at the end of the old main street. We were a bit unsure about the pricing. It said something about the equivalent of 15USD min two persons. We didn't know if it was 15 for two or 2X15. A huge platter of meats showed up. Turn out to be 15USD total.

Ptuj. When I checked out of the hotel, I asked the reception how the Ptuj was pronounced. The very pretty receptionist said Ptoooey. The two Scandinavian customers ahead of me could not contain themselves.
Thank you Bob, I think trying the Ikea sounds good fun actually.

We are doing a home-exchange so it's one of the things we love doing , like trying out local supermarkets ( hugely boring at home but somehow fun abroad !)

Czech is a notoriously difficult language and I am going to try and get to grips with basic phrases before we leave. That could be.. interesting to say the least.

I love Hungary and learning basic Hungarian was great fun, they loved us in Budapest. Such a difficult language though. sadly now it's all gone !

What was Ptuj like ? Is it worth visiting ?

Old 01-30-2008, 08:20 AM

Moderator cut: part of quote removed~competitor site I was traveling with a small child (2 years old at the time), so I doubt the places I frequented would be what you are after, though.[/quote]

Thank you, I'll give it a go.

Last edited by Jammie; 01-30-2008 at 08:34 AM.. Reason: quote of competitor site removed

Old 01-30-2008, 10:01 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,716,248 times
Cafe Imperial in the Na Porici District is infamous for letting its customers throw doughnuts at each other. It's a must see!

Old 01-31-2008, 12:15 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,228,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Thank you Bob, I think trying the Ikea sounds good fun actually.

What was Ptuj like ? Is it worth visiting ?
Ptuj was just a drive through stop for us as we were meeting friends in Budapest. It looked nice enough, but I don't know if it would be worth making a special trip.

While in Prague, take the drive to Karlovy Vary. I went there in 91 and back again in 2005. Remember, go down to the river and get the hot spring water. That is where all the action is. It is not well marked. Also Santander is a good day trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel