Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 09:57 PM

2,127 posts, read 1,797,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
The problem with this comparison is that it doesn't work for everyone! I do not travel with more than 1 checked bag. I don't buy drinks or food on airplanes. I also don't move my flight times.
It at least holds in part for frontier and spirit as they both charge for carry on bags, $60 and $52 round trip respectively. Even if you plan on being carry on only, knowing that you could decide to check in your bag on the return without having to pay has come in handy when I either don't feel like having to deal with my carry on or I've gone shopping and now have an extra bag.

Although you may not change your flight time, another advantage of Southwest is if your flight goes on sale you can re-book the flight for the lower fare and use the credit for a future flight.

Maybe I'm on the SWA Kool-aid but they usually are the cheapest option from the DC Area to South Florida and Vegas, my top two domestic destinations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 10:27 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,414,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Can you book your Tokyo tickets with the same airline? Unlike Annerk, I've been successful several times at getting the money transferred to new tickets. Not a refund, but credit applied to another ticket. Maybe I'm just nicer on the phone than *others*, and I admit I used the sympathy card to help it along (in your case, it would be "I really want my elderly mom to see her son" and "I haven't seen my brother in 7 years!") Say please a lot.

If you get anywhere, be sure to say thank you on Facebook, twitter, whatever.

I'm not optimistic, but WTH have you got to lose but some of your time and energy. But do the phone people a favor and don't get pissy with them.

I second that! I do telephone work, and it can get stressful. Do realize, the person who answers the phone doesn't have a lot of options. We are limited to what our job allows us. Also, we are timed on calls, I know many people who have been let go recently, even though their stats were high, just for long talk time. Don't blather on and on about your "issue" instead, state it clearly, in one sentence if you can. Something to the effect of---is there any way possible I can get a refund, for a non-refundable ticket, due to extenuating circumstances? Could you transfer me to a person who has authority to issue a refund? (ok, so, its 2 sentences, you get the idea). Lots of times we cannot transfer a caller unless they specifically ask to be transferred. Oh, don't call in the evening, that's when calls are routed to India, Philippines, etc. They don't understand you and just give a scripted answer to get you off the line

Old 10-23-2015, 07:19 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,231,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
The problem with this comparison is that it doesn't work for everyone! I do not travel with more than 1 checked bag. I don't buy drinks or food on airplanes. I also don't move my flight times.
I think that was meant as an EXAMPLE of how SWA is often the lower cost option even if the face fare is not the lowest. If it doesn't apply to you, it doesn't apply to you.

I know lots of people that fly with two bags. People that go on sports vacations like dive trips (me) or golf trips will have a bag for the gear and a bag for personal stuff. People that fly on business to trade shows may have product demo or extra business equipment.

If you need flexibility in your travel plans then SWA with the lack of change fees may be a better option. In the case of the OP, if he had booked SWA to Fort Lauderdale (which I much prefer over MIA for speed and convenience) we wouldn't be having this thread because he could have rebooked his ticket for next summer at no cost.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:45 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,632,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
It at least holds in part for frontier and spirit as they both charge for carry on bags, $60 and $52 round trip respectively. Even if you plan on being carry on only, knowing that you could decide to check in your bag on the return without having to pay has come in handy when I either don't feel like having to deal with my carry on or I've gone shopping and now have an extra bag.

Although you may not change your flight time, another advantage of Southwest is if your flight goes on sale you can re-book the flight for the lower fare and use the credit for a future flight.

Maybe I'm on the SWA Kool-aid but they usually are the cheapest option from the DC Area to South Florida and Vegas, my top two domestic destinations.
You're assuming that everyone has access to Frontier, Spirit, and/or Southwest as well! Many airports don't have these airlines at all.

Just because YOU reside in the DC area and travel to South Florida and Vegas frequently doesn't mean anyone else does! I don't live anywhere near DC....haven't been there is over 25 years. Haven't been to Florida in over 20 years. Never been to Vegas. I live in the Northeast and have zero interest in going to Vegas. If I wanted to throw money away, why gamble? Just put it in a trash can. I'd rather donate it. And I have no interest in Florida....not even really interested in going to Disney....Did that once and it was ok. And South Florida has absolutely NOTHING that interests me.

See we're all different! What works for you doesn't work for others. Just like what works for me doesn't work for everyone else! I'm not even a fan of airports. I don't mind the flying or even the taking off or landing. It's the pat downs, empty out all of my belongings, and being treated like I'm a criminal that I don't like. And I won't even go into how much I despise rental cars.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:48 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,632,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I know lots of people that fly with two bags. People that go on sports vacations like dive trips (me) or golf trips will have a bag for the gear and a bag for personal stuff. People that fly on business to trade shows may have product demo or extra business equipment.
My husband travels a lot for business....used to travel every week. He NEVER had checked luggage. He ALWAYS carried it on. He never wanted to be without his clothes! Hard to work for a week without clothing.

I have done trade shows. We never flew with anything. Everything was shipped by tractor trailer or UPS/FedEx. I would NEVER trust an airline with business equipment. They can't even find a bag filled with clothes! I've had clothing stolen from my luggage before. I don't trust anyone who touches my luggage.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:12 AM

16,394 posts, read 30,296,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
And from certain departure points, they are rarely the cheapest option. We used SW a lot when we lived in Phoenix. Now in Raleigh, we nearly always get better fares and schedules/non-stop flights on Delta, Jet Blue or even Frontier (gasp).

SWA is a good airline, but it ain't all that. As others have said, we don't drink the Kool-Aid.

But whether you want to admit it or not, the OP is out a lot of money because he booked on American Airlines with their restrictive change policy. Had the OP booked on SWA, we could schedule at a later date at no charge.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:02 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,853,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
But whether you want to admit it or not, the OP is out a lot of money because he booked on American Airlines with their restrictive change policy. Had the OP booked on SWA, we could schedule at a later date at no charge.
And had to deal with the hassle of an airport that is somewhat distant to where she wants to actually go- extra hour or more to there during rush hour, probably more time than that on mass transit or a hugely expensive cab fare if friends and family can't pick her up there.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:22 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,855,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post

All true. As stated, when we lived in Phoenix, we used SWA frequently - without complaint. They were usually tge cgeapest and had frequent departures and many non-stops to our destinations. Since our move to Raleigh, NC, we haven't flown with them once. There are ALWAYS better alternatives.

I am hoping that SWA is going to continue expanding its presence at RDU, as they have promised they will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
That's true. But does the loss of one ticket exceed the savings we have had by NOT booking SWA out of RDU? Doubtful, if you're using an airport that is lightly serviced by SWA (like RDU).

Old 10-23-2015, 12:37 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,231,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
And had to deal with the hassle of an airport that is somewhat distant to where she wants to actually go- extra hour or more to there during rush hour, probably more time than that on mass transit or a hugely expensive cab fare if friends and family can't pick her up there.
Depends on where in town you are going. FLL might even have been quicker to the final destination. But anyway, $200 change fee versus an extra hour driving, that's a no-brainer to me.

Old 10-23-2015, 03:31 PM

17,599 posts, read 15,279,200 times
Here's a story from today about Allegiant and what I discussed earlier, about some of the ultra-low-cost airlines just being evil. Why won't Allegiant refund my deceased son's airfare?

But, all in all.. That's one of the reasons that there are multiple airlines. What works for one person may not work for another.

If you fly with 2 bags plus a carry on everywhere you go.. SWA might have the advantage. If you enjoy paying as little as possible and are willing to wear 5 sets of clothes on the flight, then Spirit might work for you(This really happens!). If you want as much of a guarantee that you will get to your destination within a few hours of the scheduled time as you can get, then a legacy carrier might work out better. Then, where you are and where you're going can play in as well.

My flight to Vegas.. I could have flown from GSP, but it would be about $100 more per ticket and flight times weren't good through SWA. Legacy carrier, would have been about $150 more per ticket, PLUS the baggage fees making it about $200 more per ticket, still no non-stop flight.. So.. the best option for me was to drive to Atlanta.. Have family there, so, met them for dinner, then to the airport for the non-stop flight.. The downside was dealing with the Atlanta airport.

Often, I will fly out of Charlotte, which is closer to GSP than Atlanta and far less of a headache, but there was little to no savings off the price from GSP. If I look at the same thing now.. I could get flights from CLT on SWA to Vegas for about the same as flying from Atlanta, but.. No non-stop on SWA. Non stop from Charlotte to Vegas for those days is $600 per ticket.

But, it all depends on you.. If you're the person who wants the cheapest fare no matter what, then you can't just look at what you book the ticket for. Because everyone BUT SWA you'll wind up paying more than the 'published fare'. Is paying $50 more to fly on a legacy carrier because they have better flight times or a non-stop flight worth it to you? Is it worth flying to DCA rather than IAD? Is it worth driving 70 miles to a major airport to fly out of rather than flying from your 'home' airport? Where is that price point for you? $20? $50? $100?

I have said it before.. I miss Independence Air. I arrived at work at 8am one morning, found there was an emergency in Centerville, VA.. I was on a plane from GSP by 9:30am flying to IAD and returned on a flight at about 9pm that night. tickets were right around $200. Independence Air just came into existence at the exact wrong time. Had they come along 5 years earlier or later.. I think they might have made it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel