Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 12:25 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,984,151 times

Advertisements

It certainly doesn't hurt to ask. Although I'm sure God's right-hand-person is on this board giving advice, even he/she doesn't know everything about everything. All the airline can do is tell you no. I've had things happen merely by asking that I never would have expected....and of course, I was extremely nice yet persuasive when asking. Good luck!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 12:42 PM

19,442 posts, read 27,855,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Maybe 10 years ago you could do that,. or if you have high status, but otherwise they will do the transfer--after they take the steep fee and if there's anything left.

It has nothing to do with sympathy cards and everything to do with them following the rules and not being empowered to change them as they see fit.
Well, I did it just last year, with Delta. No, I'm not a high status flyer (like *some people* around here). And no, a death was not involved and I was NOT charged a fee.

It did take 3 different phone calls to 3 different supervisors on 3 different days. . . And a very polite, courteous, logical approach from me.

Admittedly, it doesn't always work, but like I said, WTH have you got to lose.

Old 10-21-2015, 12:44 PM

19,442 posts, read 27,855,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Actually I can't use the same airline. Miami flight is booked with AA and my job flies pretty much strictly with United so the Tokyo ticket will definitely be a United flight...
That's unfortunate. And probably means that you'll get nothing from AA (who I've never had great experiences with anyway). Still, I'd make a simple phone call. . . or two. If your ticket to Miami falls over the Thanksgiving weekend, that might be something to mention as they can and will easily resell the seat.

Old 10-21-2015, 12:55 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,632,418 times
All you can do is call. It is call a non-refundable ticket for a reason.

Old 10-21-2015, 03:02 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,744,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Maybe 10 years ago you could do that,. or if you have high status, but otherwise they will do the transfer--after they take the steep fee and if there's anything left.

It has nothing to do with sympathy cards and everything to do with them following the rules and not being empowered to change them as they see fit.
Seems to me that allowing some fliers ("high status" or whatever) to do this without penality while sticking others with $$ is anything BUT consistincy in following the rules.

Kind of like ten cars doing 20 mph over the speed limit right past the state cruiser, but only one of them gets stopped for some arbitrary reason.

If a law (or policy in this case) is to be just, it must be applied EQUALLY to everyone.

Old 10-21-2015, 03:25 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,067,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
Seems to me that allowing some fliers ("high status" or whatever) to do this without penality while sticking others with $$ is anything BUT consistincy in following the rules.

Kind of like ten cars doing 20 mph over the speed limit right past the state cruiser, but only one of them gets stopped for some arbitrary reason.

If a law (or policy in this case) is to be just, it must be applied EQUALLY to everyone.
Sure, apply it equally based on status rules. Given your thought process, everyone should be upgraded to first for the price of an economy seat, given access to the lounge for booking a ticket, and able to use the first class check in line even when flying for the first time in economy.

I have status and was in a similar situation a few months ago. I ate the ticket, it was a few hundred dollars, drop in the bucket in the big picture and not worth spending the time to fight for when it was solely MY FAULT for not being able to take that flight.

Old 10-21-2015, 04:20 PM

19,132 posts, read 25,345,191 times
Many years ago, a friend of mine was able to get a refund on a non-refundable ticket by presenting a letter from his MD stating that he had a serious medical condition that made it medically inadvisable to fly.
Yes, it was a lie, but it worked!

Now, the trick for the OP is to find an MD--like the one that my friend used--who is willing to lie.

Old 10-21-2015, 05:28 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,853,022 times
Many businesses give perks to their good customers. Heck, we walked away with about $80 of Subaru schwag fro ma booth at a bike expo last year because I showed my Outback key as proof I owned one of their cars. The airlines just are a lot more organized about it and publish lists of what they'll do for you in the name of keeping the folks who spend $20K+ a year on airfares happy and willing to give their company repeat business.

Old 10-21-2015, 05:35 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,992,527 times
You should fly southwest . They don't charge you anything for changing your flight . You can even do it online without having to call in . I took American Airlines from Miami to Chicago one time and haven't flown since lol with them

Old 10-21-2015, 05:49 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,454,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Many years ago, a friend of mine was able to get a refund on a non-refundable ticket by presenting a letter from his MD stating that he had a serious medical condition that made it medically inadvisable to fly.
Yes, it was a lie, but it worked!

Now, the trick for the OP is to find an MD--like the one that my friend used--who is willing to lie.

I think this is awful. Moral compass missing here? That is nothing but CHEATiNG.

Karma is a b*tch..and has no statute of limitation. I have no tolerance for lies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel