Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 07:55 AM

19,147 posts, read 25,375,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate Moonstone View Post
Venice. Most of the places my friend and I found were tourist traps with mediocre food. We did end up finding a place that we really liked in a somewhat less-touristy neighborhood and went there for dinner a few times.

Yes!
After enjoying consistently wonderful food in Rome, Sorrento, and Florence, the food in Venice was really disappointing.

Also, I found the food in Prague to be disappointing. In addition to those ubiquitous, tasteless "dumplings", most of the food seemed to lack flavor. However, the beer was simply the best!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 08:22 AM

27,236 posts, read 13,527,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagardener View Post
London and England in general. We had to find Thai restaurants to get decent meals otherwise it was very blah.

I got excited when I saw shrimp scampi on a menu and ordered it. Nope,not what Americans call shrimp scampi at all.
It's always best to do a bit of research and not just go to the nearest pub or restaurant.

Here's some good lists

Indian restaurant Dishoom voted Britain's favourite eatery (again)

Dishoom | Bombay Café

London's best restaurants - Telegraph

100 best restaurants in London

The healthiest high street restaurants - Men's Health

The British chain restaurants catering very well for vegans | Metro News

List of vegan-friendly options at UK chains

In terms of London Food Markets here's some decent ones

The best food markets in London

Real Food Market | Southbank Centre

A few homegrown Food Chains as opposed to US Chains -

LEON

Wagamama

Wasabi

Wahaca

Thaikhun

Tortilla

Yo! Sushi

Abokado

Prezzo

giraffe

Barburrito

Chilango

Busaba Eathai | Thai Restaurants in London

Wrapchic - The Indian Burrito Company

Gourmet Burger Kitchen

Our Fresh Food | Handmade Burger Co

EAT

Pret a Manger

Poppie's Fish and Chips

Pizza Express

Zizzi

In terms of a decent seafood restaurant chain -

Loch Fyne Seafood & Grill

There's also been a rapid growth in micro breweries in London and the UK

Mapped: London's Breweries And Brewpubs By Borough | Londonist

Breweries in London: the best taprooms and brewery tours

Last edited by Brave New World; 06-10-2016 at 08:44 AM..

Old 06-10-2016, 08:27 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,376,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueBSouth View Post
New Orleans. We tried all the usual dishes: etouffee, jambalaya, gumbo, shrimp and grits, it was to us just spicey mush. It was the texture that was off putting. The only thing we enjoyed were the Oysters! Sadly, I did not get a chance to try a beignet! Overall, the Big Easy was the Big Mushy and very dirty, not a place we would visit again.
Oooohh... the beignets at Café du Monde are out of this world. But, it was the only thing in New Orleans I found that was worth eating.

The booze on the other hand ..... that was where I was introduced to hurricanes. Still not sure how I got back to the hotel.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:39 AM

The Wolseley in London is based on a European Cafe Restaurant does some very nice meals at not over the top prices.

The Wolseley | European Café Restaurant

Best British restaurants in London - Time Out London

Where to eat great British food in London | Restaurants | Going Out | London Evening Standard

Traditional British Restaurants in London - Things To Do - visitlondon.com

Ten Of London Oldest Restaurants

Last edited by Brave New World; 06-10-2016 at 10:08 AM..

Old 06-10-2016, 08:47 AM

Over the last decade there has been a food revolution in terms of British Street Food and Food Markets, which are now a fusion of so many global cultures and global cusines.

London's 50 best street food stalls and vendors

London's Best Street Food | Recipes | Food Network UK

15 of the best street food stalls in London | Inspire Me | Wanderlust

The best street food in London

Street Feast

Last edited by Brave New World; 06-10-2016 at 10:01 AM..

Old 06-10-2016, 09:46 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,513,298 times
On the train riding the Sunset Limited in the US I saw Mexican enchiladas or some such on the menu. We ordered them, they used flour tortillas instead of corn, the tortillas were dry and had not been immersed in any liquids to roll them and then cooked in an oven like normal enchiladas, they were basically soft shell tacos. They had a splash of salsa on top, a dab, tasted like Pace. Inside they had whatever vegetables were leftover I assume: squash, broccoli, weird mixed with corn or cheese I think!

Old 06-10-2016, 10:20 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,045,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
Well sure it's about personal preference. But to say that food in France is overrated because you don't like the style is kinda like eating in China and complaining that all the food there is Chinese.

If you're only expectation is "really good food" then I still claim that you missed some opportunities in France. But if you don't like the style, then your expectations are for more than just "really good food".
Yep, damn those Michelin/Cordon Bleu Chefs anyways, what do they know... After reading through this whole thread one thing becomes clear, people seem to rate whole cuisines strictly off what they're used to or a specific taste they like/don't like.
Examples: "I don't like ginseng or ginger and so go eat cuisines that use the heck out of them and are surprised that I don't like 'em.
Or,
I can't eat spicy food yet go and eat at a place in Old Town Albuquerque NM which is known for it's spices.
Or,
Italian food tastes like Chef Boyardee BUT all I've ever had in comparison is AMERICANIZED Italian food or <insert food here>.
In my observation/opinion this is the biggest problem with americans (yes, I'm one too). We have all these different cultures and cuisines here (that have been americanized btw) and we seem to think it's the same in their country of origin.

That is a false notion.

Chinese food <or insert food here> is NOT the same here as it is in China <or insert country here>. It is a U.S. "rip" or "takeoff" on what it's originally like or, it wasn't invented there to begin with.

Old 06-10-2016, 11:28 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,154,328 times
Italy.

If you don't like dairy or garlic, you're out of luck. I don't like either of those things.

Old 06-10-2016, 11:54 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,875,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
Actually, Santa Fe, NM. Whereas I LOVE this city, I was not fond of the overly spicy food. My husband and I wound up eating at a fast food place - the familiar was better than constantly being overwhelmed by spices every time we went to eat.
of course that would be a matter of opinion. When I think of disappointed I think of compared to what I expected. When dining at a restaurant in a city like Santa Fe I would be disappointed if the food wasn't spicy. BTW, spicy in NM isn't nearly as spicy as some SoWest cities. This goes for all others who said they were disappointed with a particular county's or regions food cause they don't that regions food. For me and it might be just me: I think of disappointed as knowing the regions food and thinking you have had better other places. For us I think London would come to mind. We expected better fish and chips than we got. The other would be Aruba: They are not known for any particular type of food, but what we have had there has been just so/so and very expensive!!!!

Last edited by nmnita; 06-10-2016 at 12:05 PM..

Old 06-10-2016, 02:39 PM

47,010 posts, read 26,062,966 times
I'll say it: If you failed to locate a good meal in France or Italy, it's entirely on you.

Sure, I've had disappointing meals in either country. I've had disappointing meals in every country I've been. But the high notes, the memorable meals, seem to focus on those two countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel