Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 10:18 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
As are our roads and bridges and the interstate highway system.
Do you get a tax rebate if you don't use the interstate highways?
As our railroads lines and bridges. Amtrak funding is for Amtrak. Other railroad system funding is also performed at the state and government level.
Do I buy a ticket to drive on public roads?
A better question - do taxpayers subsidize Greyhound?

Last edited by Dd714; 06-24-2016 at 10:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 11:54 AM

17,596 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Do I buy a ticket to drive on public roads?
Technically.. Yes. Gas tax. Which, Greyhound would pay as well when they fill up the buses.

Yes.. We're splitting hairs a bit here, but.. You are paying to drive on public roads.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:03 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,973,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Plains Guy View Post
Now that I live in a town that has a major rail going through it, I'm suddenly aware of and interested in rail travel. But I've looked into pricing, and it's pretty ridiculous. I mean, the seats themselves aren't oppressively priced, but the roomettes are (I can't sleep in a chair). So it made me wonder, why is Amtrak so expensive? I want to contribute to this keeping this form of travel alive, for nostalgic reasons more than anything, but if it's cheaper to take a plane somewhere then that's how I'll always travel.

I just really romanticize the idea of taking an affordable train trip for a vacation, and can't bring myself to pay those prices. Is train travel dying? Or is it just a rich man's method of travel?
Lot's of people travel by train and a)do sleep in chairs and/or b)travel distances and times where going to sleep is not necessary. For certain short trips it beats the heck out of driving or air travel.

Also note that on some trains you can upgrade from coach to business class seats, which are larger and roomier. It usually isn't really that much more expensive.

Old 06-24-2016, 01:30 PM

9,763 posts, read 7,475,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
If your plans are flexible check roomette prices for different days of the week. Also, with Amtrak the sooner you book your trip the better the chance of getting a lower price. Waiting to see if you can get a lower price rarely works with Amtrak. Often to get a substantially lower price you have to book your trip several months in advance.

One trick I've learned with the roomette's is to book the price further on down the line, and ride the coach until then and than switch to the room.

For example: You are traveling from New York to Anniston, Alabama (I believe that's a stop on the Crescent). Try to switch to the roomette somewhere in Virginia, and take the coach seat until that stop you are switching.

Old 06-24-2016, 01:44 PM

179 posts, read 248,700 times
^ That actually sounds promising. I appreciate everyone's response to this thread. But that one actually has me feeling optimistic right there. I mean, it's a gamble in the sense that the roomettes might be all booked, but in another sense, it does seem like that would bring the cost down on the room. I shall look into this!

Old 06-24-2016, 04:54 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
One trick I've learned with the roomette's is to book the price further on down the line, and ride the coach until then and than switch to the room.

For example: You are traveling from New York to Anniston, Alabama (I believe that's a stop on the Crescent). Try to switch to the roomette somewhere in Virginia, and take the coach seat until that stop you are switching.
That's a good point. Two years ago I had a roomette from Kissimmee Fl. to NC. I was in Tampa and bought a coach ticket to Kissimmee and when I boarded the train I told the conductor of my roomette, he checked and it was not occupied so he put me in the roomette right away.

Old 06-24-2016, 05:09 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times
[quote=Dd714;44531104
A better question - do taxpayers subsidize Greyhound?[/QUOTE]

Yes, taxpayers do subsidize Greyhound because they build and maintain the roads they use. That's why it makes sense for taxpayers to subsidize railroads.

Old 06-24-2016, 05:53 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
Yes, taxpayers do subsidize Greyhound because they build and maintain the roads they use. That's why it makes sense for taxpayers to subsidize railroads.

The last time that I remember, Greyhound and all of the other bus lines pay fuel taxes as well as licensing taxes to the tune of $3-5k per year. And since Greyhound and the otehrs have to make a profit, they limit their service to routes where they are profitable.

If only Amtrak would do the same. Fortunately for them, passenger rail is subsidized by the taxpayers as well as the VERY PROFITABLE private railroads who maintain the track so that Amtrak can exist. I wonder if we could get another 10-20% of freight shipped on the lines if Amtrak would go away??

Old 06-24-2016, 06:32 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,405,309 times
Because it is awesome. Traveling on the train I guess is a luxury, but it is nice and clean and the people on trips are always friendly. Engineers have to keep the trains and tracks running and they need to be paid a living wage. There is maintenance etc. It is like when people complain about the price of food.

Someone GROWS the food, and if someone PICKS and PACKAGES the food, it will cost money. If it is cheap...worry.

Old 06-25-2016, 01:38 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,146,766 times
I was a bit surprised by the cost as well. I have looked at a train trip several times but couldn't justify the cost or the length of time it took to get where ever I was looking to go. I have used Amtrak for small trips. They started a new route from my location to my hometown. Taking the train was easy, cost about the same as gas and I didn't have to worry about fatigue when driving. Then they added an extension on that route including a major city. I gave up the option after a couple of bad trips with inconsiderate travelers. Being cooped up with people like that for 4 hours was too stressful for me. About a month after my last trip, there was an incident on that route where some guy flipped out and stabbed a conductor and a passenger. No thanks. I would think (and hope) that the long term trips include better behaved folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel