Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 11:06 AM

16,441 posts, read 12,611,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
I think it depends on how the person feels. I'm an OK with being barefoot person so I'm not sure what exactly sets the other people off. Those footies may be enough for some and others won't be satisfied with anything less that being carried through the machine because they can't deal with having anything less than the sole of a shoe between their feet and the floor.
Enough, only psychologically, perhaps. They do nothing to create a physical barrier against any of the things that people are afraid of getting on their feet.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:09 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,060,111 times
The TSA agent was "rude" because he corrected something you did wrong? How on earth was there not room for both your sweater and your shoes?

Old 08-15-2016, 01:16 PM

16,441 posts, read 12,611,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KP Plumbing View Post
I was definitely overthinking the security thing. it went relatively smoothly, although the TSA guy was a bit rude...he shoved the bin at me, and when I put my flip flops directly on the conveyor belt (didn't want them on my sweater), he was visibly annoyed and just put them in the bin directly on my sweater...like wtf...?
With as many shoes as that bin has held, there was virtually no difference between your sweater touching the bin, and your sweater touching the bottom of your shoes.

Old 08-15-2016, 04:54 PM

27 posts, read 28,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
The TSA agent was "rude" because he corrected something you did wrong? How on earth was there not room for both your sweater and your shoes?
I've seen people put their shoes directly on the conveyor belt, and the friend I was with does it all the time when she flies. I read online that you can do it too. but it's not even the fact that he put them on my sweater, it was the manner in which he did it. he sighed and gave me a dirty look, and just shoved them on top of my sweater, and they actually left dirt marks on it (the soles were directly on the sweater, and it was kinda wet outside). There are nicer ways to point out my 'mistake' than that.

Old 08-15-2016, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
With as many shoes as that bin has held, there was virtually no difference between your sweater touching the bin, and your sweater touching the bottom of your shoes.
well, like I said in the previous post, putting my flip flops directly on my sweater left some marks on it. it's not a big deal, although I am OCD about that kinda stuff...I was more bothered by the guy's behavior and the way he interacted with me. if I didn't do something right, there are more respectful ways of letting me know.

Old 08-15-2016, 05:08 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,464,669 times
Quote:
well, like I said in the previous post, putting my flip flops directly on my sweater left some marks on it. it's not a big deal, although I am OCD about that kinda stuff...I was more bothered by the guy's behavior and the way he interacted with me. if I didn't do something right, there are more respectful ways of letting me know.
Some TSA people are just annoyed when you don't do things the right way. They have low tolerance. Some are more than happy to help you out, some not so. They just want to keep the line moving, especially with how bad security lines have been this summer. Don't take it purposely. Everything should definitely be in the bin, though. I wouldn't place anything on the conveyor belt except the bag itself.

Last time I flew, I was about to take my liquids out of my bag and the guy was super cool and said don't worry about it. On the other hand, I've seen TSA get visibly angry at those who don't take it out. So the proper procedure always varies from airport from airport and even from agent to agent.

Old 08-15-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Some TSA people are just annoyed when you don't do things the right way. They have low tolerance. Some are more than happy to help you out, some not so. They just want to keep the line moving, especially with how bad security lines have been this summer. Don't take it purposely. Everything should definitely be in the bin, though. I wouldn't place anything on the conveyor belt except the bag itself.

Last time I flew, I was about to take my liquids out of my bag and the guy was super cool and said don't worry about it. On the other hand, I've seen TSA get visibly angry at those who don't take it out. So the proper procedure always varies from airport from airport and even from agent to agent.
yeah, it's not really a big deal, I know. the procedure definitely does vary from airport to airport. some of my friends have even said they didn't have to remove shoes sometimes.

anyway, I think I definitely worried about this for nothing lol. I'm not even really grossed out by the fact that I walked barefoot on that airport floor...maybe I should be? I wonder how often they clean it.

Old 08-15-2016, 05:22 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,464,669 times
Quote:
yeah, it's not really a big deal, I know. the procedure definitely does vary from airport to airport. some of my friends have even said they didn't have to remove shoes sometimes.

anyway, I think I definitely worried about this for nothing lol. I'm not even really grossed out by the fact that I walked barefoot on that airport floor...maybe I should be? I wonder how often they clean it.
You definitely have to take off your shoes. That's something that is not negotiable. I did find it funny when I was in an airport in Europe once and it had a sign saying you don't have to take off your shoes! I'm sure many Americans think that is normal policy.

I don't wear flip flops, so I always have socks on, but the security area is generally very clean. I wouldn't worry.

Old 08-15-2016, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
You definitely have to take off your shoes. That's something that is not negotiable. I did find it funny when I was in an airport in Europe once and it had a sign saying you don't have to take off your shoes! I'm sure many Americans think that is normal policy.

I don't wear flip flops, so I always have socks on, but the security area is generally very clean. I wouldn't worry.
my friend flew out of vegas a few months ago and told me he didnt have to remove his shoes for some reason lol. he said everyone in his line had their shoes on.

yeah, true. I'm always in flip flops or barefoot in the summer anyway, so I'm sure my bare feet have been on far dirtier surfaces than an airport floor. I'm just surprised at the amount of people who cautioned me to wear socks lol

Old 08-15-2016, 07:19 PM

8,239 posts, read 10,756,006 times
Airport security checks can be damned intimidating. I have flown 3 times in the past 30yrs (all since 9/11) and every time I am paranoid about being the one holding up the line. I have gotten through smoothly each time but I try to watch everyone and just mimic them. Still pretty intimidating when you dont fly much

I just wear basketball shorts and a tshirt with socks and tennis shoes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel