Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 01:19 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,407,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
You are over-thinking it. Security is a 2 minute drill you have to go through, not a big deal. The worst part is the long lines.

Wear what you will be comfortable in, not what makes the TSA check easier. It already is easy.
I agree OP is over-thinking it. Just be sure you get there at least two hours prior. If there are no lines, yippee, relax on the other side. If there are lines you can relax that you have gotten there in plenty of time.

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-29-2016 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

Old 08-16-2016, 02:58 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,173,183 times
I just went through LAX as well and when I put my shoes (and only my shoes) in the bin, a TSA agent "scolded" me for using up a valuable bin, took my shoes out, and put them directly on the belt. She said "Do you know how many of these bins we have to bring back and forth during the day? Thousands!" ... so I said "Whatever you want me to do is fine, just let the passengers know what to expect beforehand." This is the first time in all my trips that I was told to take my shoes out of the bin.

Old 08-16-2016, 04:05 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,266,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KP Plumbing View Post
ok. and I'll just have to remove my belt right? and a sweater if I put it on?
You have to remove your thongs and put them into the tray for scanning, along with your belt. Your lap top will need to be put into a tray also. I like to wear socks, and slip on shoes, so I avoid being barefooted in the security area.

Old 08-16-2016, 04:47 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,868,681 times
Shoes on the belt?

Easy solution: Put the shoes on the belt immediately in front of the tub. If your shoes would get hung up in the exit end flaps they will be pushed through by your tub.

Old 08-16-2016, 05:42 PM

13,288 posts, read 8,492,714 times
I'm waiting for some designer to make an airport suit. Clear Saran Wrap and call it the emperors new clothes line!

You'd get those cute scrub shoe covers

Bet many a problem would be solved if this caught on !

Old 08-16-2016, 09:15 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,661,777 times
Quote:
ok, I'm flying to Los Angeles in a few days, and I was wondering if you guys could give me any tips so I can breeze through security hassle free. My friend told me to 'dress appropriately' for security, but didn't really elaborate, so I dunno what she meant. here's the exact outfit I planned to wear to the airport (yeah, I plan my outfits...only for stuff like this though)

I know I have to take off my belt. I was told not to wear a hat. can I put my laptop in my backpack or is it better if it goes in my suitcase? I'm probably making a much bigger deal out of this than I need to...

anyway, thanks!
Clothing is fine. Footwear is important....something you can get off and on quickly and easily.

Keep your laptop with you! Don't ever put a laptop, iPad, etc in your suitcase especially if you check your luggage. You'll never see it again if you check it.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:02 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,971,284 times
The OP's outfit looks fine for flying. When in a confined place, comfort is important, so it's good to wear flexible clothes that aren't too tight or too baggy.

When going through security, outer jackets must be removed but sweaters need not be. The biggest pain is having to take off shoes. I'm not a flip flop guy, but I can see the practicality of wearing them since they come on and off easily.

People used to dress up to fly since it was once an elite and exciting thing. Those days are long gone. As long as a person is clean, I don't care what he/she wears. For me, the biggest concern when flying coach is whether the person next to me is fat enough to spill over into my space. Being trapped in a window seat next to such a person would make me crazy.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:50 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,273,968 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the tips!!

Yeah, I wanted to wear something that didn't make me look suspicious or anything lol.

They're really going to make me take off my flip flops though? Lol, what the hell can I hide in a flip flop? I don't really mind walking barefoot through security as long as it's not too long...what is it, 20 seconds ?
Unless you're pre-check, shoes come off. The agents didn't make the rules. They aren't going to evaluate which shoes could hide something and which could not, all shoes come off.

Another point I've not seen mentioned - there is usually an agent there telling people what to remove or not. Listen to them. Procedures sometimes vary. I've been through lines where they told people to leave shoes on.

All of these tips are oriented towards making the process flow smoother, making it quick and easy to pass through security. Mostly by being prepared to do what they are going to want you to do. Looking "suspicious" isn't really relevant. You're approaching it wrong if that is your focus. Security isn't going to be more lax with you because you look like a happy young man dressed for vacation. They aren't going to profile you based on clothes but they are going to scan you and if your clothes make it more tedious to do that then it is going to be more tedious.

What is more likely to attract "extra" attention from security is talking. Don't be talking in the line especially trying to make small talk with them about how their day is going or how crowded it is or such.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:57 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,273,968 times
Quote:
I've seen people put their shoes directly on the conveyor belt, and the friend I was with does it all the time when she flies. I read online that you can do it too. but it's not even the fact that he put them on my sweater, it was the manner in which he did it. he sighed and gave me a dirty look, and just shoved them on top of my sweater, and they actually left dirt marks on it (the soles were directly on the sweater, and it was kinda wet outside). There are nicer ways to point out my 'mistake' than that.
Please don't be looking for reasons to be offended. He has a mind numbingly boring job and is frustrated from dealing with idiots all day long. They have probably had to stop the show and fish out small objects that got hung up inside the scanner too many times.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:00 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,895,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Clothing is fine. Footwear is important....something you can get off and on quickly and easily.

Keep your laptop with you! Don't ever put a laptop, iPad, etc in your suitcase especially if you check your luggage. You'll never see it again if you check it.
Lithium batteries (ie computer and phone batteries) are also generally banned from checked luggage because they're seen as fire hazards. If an offending battery is in an overhead bin or under a seat, a flight attendant with a fire extinguisher can see and control the problem well enough for an emergency landing to be made. A fire that starts in the cargo area, not so much.

Not that this kind of thing is extremely, extremely rare. As is any incident that might require the emergency evacuation of a plane. However, many safety folks will say 'no sandals, no synthetic fibers next to the skin' in case you do hit a million to one scenario.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel