Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 01:43 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,288,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Not all cruise ships are huge; some have as few as 100 passengers. And river cruises, in particular, often spend a day or more in the same port, to allow passengers ample time to sightsee.

If your only experience of cruising is looking at the mega-ships when they come into port, it's possible you just aren't looking at the right sort of cruises for you! I HATE large-ship cruises (wild horses couldn't drag me onto a typical Caribbean cruise), but the small ships are an entirely different experience, and one much more to my tastes. You might find you enjoy small-ship cruising, too.

Which circles back to the OP's original post: different vacations suit different folks. We aren't all looking for the same experience (and what a boring world it would be if we were!).
Cruising all boils down to one thing: you are at the mercy of the schedule of the ship no matter how big or small. Absolutely not interested.

But, in the spirit of this thread, I'd never criticize someone who wanted to do that. It's just not for me.

Old 08-29-2016, 02:52 PM

983 posts, read 2,773,375 times
As many others have said, to each his/her own. I don't generally do all inclusives because I like to immerse myself in local culture and eat at local restaurants rather than be holed up in an Americanized resort. However, I do understand the appeal for people who just want a mindless, relaxing vacation where you don't have to plan, think or worry about how much you are spending. If you have a very stressful job, or hectic home life with kids, an all inclusive vacation can be very appealing.

I do love cruising because I love being on a ship on the open seas and waking up in a new place to explore every day. Boring? Not at all. On most ships, there's so much to do, you can't squeeze it all in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel