Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 08:06 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,713,604 times

Advertisements

Look at the age of these coworkers. That plays a big role. Young people want to explore, explore, explore. This is what vacation is for to have fun. As you get older, the exploration desire goes away and all one wants to do is relax. The cruise and Island and Beach vacations are to relax and clear your mind. The last thing a person who is working very hard wants to do is figure out a new city. Plus many of these people have been to lot of these "exotic" places and are done.

TBH I been to several countries in Europe & as much fun as they were (I loved those trips) I am at a point in life where a trip to a new country in Europe doesn't excite me as much. I have rough idea how it will be and just like most states in USA have lot of similarities, most countries in Europe from American POV have lot of similarities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 08:09 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,074,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I've worked in several corporate office environments, and when people go on vacation it is almost always one of the following:

1.) Cruises
2.) All-inclusive resort in Cancun or somewhere in the Caribbean
3.) Colorado

I've been all over Europe and East Asia, staying in hostels much of the time. My coworkers look at me like I'm nuts or they assume that it must cost a small fortune to visit "exotic" locations, although I have never spent more than $4k on a 2-3 week trip anywhere.

I assume they are just as boring in real life as they are in the office, so they lack the creative thinking required to visit places "outside the box."

mailroom guy, huh?

Old 08-17-2016, 09:16 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,632,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
As we were just finalizing our reservations for our vacation to Yellowstone next month, I had to chuckle a bit thinking about this thread.

Yeah, we're only going to Wyoming. How boring.
Tell the buffalo I said hello! And please don't put any babies in your vehicle. Crazy tourists!

Old 08-17-2016, 09:28 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,016,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Tell the buffalo I said hello! And please don't put any babies in your vehicle. Crazy tourists!
No kidding, right?

Actually, last night I was watching a video on their website about pets in the park (as we will have our dogs with us). I had to shake my head when the ranger on the video mentioned that if the rules regarding pets are not followed, a "hefty fine" may result. Yup, like that hefty fine that those "rescuers" got.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post

I think most people go on boring vacations because of what I quoted, the "planning" can be vastly time-consuming. I delegate some of that, but plan for a living so it's way-fun for me.
Boring to you maybe. May not be boring to the person taking that vacation where they sit on a beach 10 hours a day. Some people like to just chill. It's their vacation. They can do pretty much whatever they want....you know except for commit crimes.

Planning isn't the issue for many people. I know a lady who spends every moment she can at the beach. She vacations at various beaches every year. That's her way of unwinding. She works a lot of hours and travels a lot. Trust me a lot of planning goes into planing a vacation in Mexico with 8 people which is what she does.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
It really does. I would never stay in a hostel at this stage of the game. That trip probably also included constantly lugging his own luggage from place to place and using a lot of crowded public transportation. For me, that is not a vacation.
That's what I would call HELL! Totally not relaxing. Lots of physical work. No thank you! I'm going to a tradeshow in a few weeks and I'm already dreading dragging my luggage around the airports! I can't even imagine dragging my luggage everywhere I go. Talk about a nightmare.

I'd rather sleep on an air mattress in the woods with black bears surrounding me than go to a hostel. I never understood why young people thought they were fabulous. I thought they were gross even my college years. If you like them, great for you, but expect others to follow along with that. What's a family to do? How do they go on vacation with 3 kids, grandma, and grandpa in tow as well? Talk about a nightmare....sounds far worse than a National Lampoon's Vacation! All that's missing is Chevy Chase.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
No kidding, right?

Actually, last night I was watching a video on their website about pets in the park (as we will have our dogs with us). I had to shake my head when the ranger on the video mentioned that if the rules regarding pets are not followed, a "hefty fine" may result. Yup, like that hefty fine that those "rescuers" got.
Or your dog may be eaten/killed. Lots of wild animals there. Like REAL wild animals! Amazes me how dumb people are when they go to those parks. Yeah, walk right up to the buffalo so you can get a selfie......then complain it trampled you....moron! Who picks up a baby buffalo? Like seriously!

Old 08-17-2016, 09:47 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,114,832 times
You know that saying "only boring people are bored"? It applies here.

Vacation and travel is what you make of it. There's an adventure to be had anywhere. Trust me: traveling with children is ALWAYS an adventure!

It's never occurred to me that people need to categorize themselves into a vacation-type. Not all vacations are the same--obviously amongst people preferences vary, but even one person or family's travel can vary widely.

For example, all 6 of us (myself, husband, and 4 children ages 4-14) really enjoy visiting cities. OP, have you ever taken 4 kids to NYC? Chicago? LA? THAT'S an adventure! And you're down on Colorado?? Colorado is such a great place to visit: 70 degrees, baseball game, urban restaurants, excellent Children's museum...then 2 days later 17 degrees, blizzard conditions! That's fun. Hot springs, pike's peak, Rocky Mt National Park!? That place is an adventure unto it's self! I think it's weird you have Colorado on your list...?

But, since we love cities, it can be like pulling teeth to get my husband to agree to a beach vacation. And we've never considered ourselves "all inclusive" type travelers (since we're categorizing ourselves!) Well, last year not only did we go to the beach, we went to a Caribbean all inclusive. Why? We wanted something easy and relaxing for that trip. We had such a great time we're going AGAIN this year! We're looking forward to that relaxing beach trip! We also took 4 kids to Europe for 2 weeks this year so we've satisfied our adventure/personal growth/cultural appreciation/non-English menu/public transit/trams-ocean requirements for the year, wouldn't you agree? I mean, have YOU ever taken 4 kids to Europe???

And next year we're tentatively planning to take them to Japan and/or Australia. Feel free to call our Caribbean all-inclusive beach vacation "boring" after you take THAT trip.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
Trust me: traveling with children is ALWAYS an adventure!

It's never occurred to me that people need to categorize themselves into a vacation-type. Not all vacations are the same--obviously amongst people preferences vary, but even one person or family's travel can vary widely.

For example, all 6 of us (myself, husband, and 4 children ages 4-14) really enjoy visiting cities. OP, have you ever taken 4 kids to NYC? Chicago? LA? THAT'S an adventure!

We also took 4 kids to Europe for 2 weeks this year so we've satisfied our adventure/personal growth/cultural appreciation/non-English menu/public transit/trams-ocean requirements for the year, wouldn't you agree? I mean, have YOU ever taken 4 kids to Europe???
Taking 1 kid to Target can be the adventure of a lifetime! Trying not to lose 4 in Manhattan? Oy vey!

Old 08-17-2016, 01:34 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,683,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
Look at the age of these coworkers. That plays a big role. Young people want to explore, explore, explore. This is what vacation is for to have fun. As you get older, the exploration desire goes away and all one wants to do is relax. The cruise and Island and Beach vacations are to relax and clear your mind. The last thing a person who is working very hard wants to do is figure out a new city. Plus many of these people have been to lot of these "exotic" places and are done.

TBH I been to several countries in Europe & as much fun as they were (I loved those trips) I am at a point in life where a trip to a new country in Europe doesn't excite me as much. I have rough idea how it will be and just like most states in USA have lot of similarities, most countries in Europe from American POV have lot of similarities.
I think it really depends on the person. My parents still like to explore and see exotic places (they're nearly 70), but they want to do it in high-end accommodations instead of the basic places. They wouldn't be caught dead in a hostel. They're happy to use public transport in a foreign city if available if it means they won't have to rent a car, which is the last thing they want to do. We often did a lot of cruise vacations growing up because they were relatively inexpensive as Floridians- we could just drive to the cruise and get on instead of having to pay for all the flying.

My grandparents also liked going to the exotic locations well into their old age. My grandfather really wanted to do a safari but he passed away before he was able to do it. I think they were even more adventurous than my parents are, even though traveling was a bit more challenging back then and you had to use organized tours to get visas to most places that you can easily go today. They lived extremely frugally in retirement and spent most of their money on tours and travels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel