Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 10:35 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times

Advertisements

I rather goto theme parks myself. They can be Disney, Six Flags, Cedar Fairs, even independent. I'll do Disney Vacation Club or even Motel 6. I rather that than backpacking and using hostels. I think part of it might be the status symbol of going to a Hilton Head resort rather than a hotel for blue and especially white collar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 11:56 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,016,432 times
As we were just finalizing our reservations for our vacation to Yellowstone next month, I had to chuckle a bit thinking about this thread.

Yeah, we're only going to Wyoming. How boring.

Old 08-17-2016, 12:18 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,152,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
I think after working you just want a cruise or a vacation at a comfortable hotel. "Exotic" vacations require a lot of work and planning, and of course YMMV.
Sure. There are tours run by operators...mercs...who will take clients into active war zones, too. I think that sounds rather interesting, but I'm more than half-crazy at least half the time.

Most of the year I'm a Sr. manager putting in 40-55 hrs/week delivering great software. But I ride a fast bike, have a gonzo sports car, and go on adventure vacations in the CONUS and (last year) to Africa. Next spring is Morocco and Algeria on a BMW GS.

We visited a former conflict border with the occasional burned out military machine and the threat of mines along the river, though it's been clear/over near 25 years now (Namibia-Angola border). Definitely interesting to see, and discuss with the locals. It was a bush war involving guerillas from multiple parties, state and non-state actors, and raged for more than a decade. Weird, to Americans at-least.

I think most people go on boring vacations because of what I quoted, the "planning" can be vastly time-consuming. I delegate some of that, but plan for a living so it's way-fun for me.

Old 08-17-2016, 12:28 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,016,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post

I think most people go on boring vacations because of what I quoted, the "planning" can be vastly time-consuming. I delegate some of that, but plan for a living so it's way-fun for me.
That's making the assumption that given the choice, most people would want to go on a vacation like you mentioned, or the OP mentioned. Speaking only for myself, neither sounds tempting.

I think most people, if they really wanted to do something particular for their vacation, would actually do it- no matter what planning it entailed.

Boring, of course, is also in the eye of the beholder- as has been shown in spades in this thread.

Old 08-17-2016, 02:28 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,504,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I've worked in several corporate office environments, and when people go on vacation it is almost always one of the following:

1.) Cruises
2.) All-inclusive resort in Cancun or somewhere in the Caribbean
3.) Colorado

I've been all over Europe and East Asia, staying in hostels much of the time. My coworkers look at me like I'm nuts or they assume that it must cost a small fortune to visit "exotic" locations, although I have never spent more than $4k on a 2-3 week trip anywhere.

I assume they are just as boring in real life as they are in the office, so they lack the creative thinking required to visit places "outside the box."
You're being a travel snob. I'm not trying to be mean but you remind me of myself when I was in my 20s and early 30s and how I thought of those who went on cruises or to all-inclusives. Perhaps they just want to go somewhere and not have to think about it, just relax.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:28 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,042,653 times
Typical hipster snob nonsense.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:58 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,954,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Typical hipster snob nonsense.
Definitely. People who work at intellectually demanding and stressful jobs often do not want an intellectually demanding and stressful vacation. It's very easy for a person who has never been tested in this way to extol e virtues of these types of vacations, but for most people the prospect is not that attractive.

Who stays in a youth hostel, or wants to, beyond the age of about 22? And what if they have kids? All these things argue for a more luxurious and easier vacation.

We all find our own level. I don't care for all-inclusive resorts or beach vacations because I would get bored. And I am done with Caribbean cruises, where the main goal is just to get drunk and laid as much as possible. But I don't travel with kids and I am not critical of people with these preferences.

I like to take cruises in Europe. I see lots of interesting places and learn a lot of history and culture, but someone else is in charge of the logistics. I don't wish to handle logistics in foreign countries where I don't understand the language or know the laws. I spend my time at work solving other people's problems and challenges, and on vacation, I want somebody else to solve mine.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:04 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I
I've been all over Europe and East Asia, staying in hostels much of the time. My coworkers look at me like I'm nuts or they assume that it must cost a small fortune to visit "exotic" locations, although I have never spent more than $4k on a 2-3 week trip anywhere.

."
Well, I've already been all over Asia and Europe without having to stay in some hostel.

In fact, your kind of trip sounds like a total nightmare to me.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:13 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,954,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Well, I've already been all over Asia and Europe without having to stay in some hostel.

In fact, your kind of trip sounds like a total nightmare to me.
It really does. I would never stay in a hostel at this stage of the game. That trip probably also included constantly lugging his own luggage from place to place and using a lot of crowded public transportation. For me, that is not a vacation.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:49 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,042,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
It really does. I would never stay in a hostel at this stage of the game. That trip probably also included constantly lugging his own luggage from place to place and using a lot of crowded public transportation. For me, that is not a vacation.
Same here. I can do a day trip to NYC whenever I want to experience the hustle and bustle.

Vacations to me are about recharging mental batteries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel