Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 10:35 AM

48 posts, read 125,759 times

Advertisements

I'm guessing you don't have children. It takes a fair amount of planning for a vacation, especially if you have kids. Those type of vacations appeal to people who do not have the time/energy to plan. They are easy vacations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 10:36 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,519,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I've been all over Europe and East Asia, staying in hostels much of the time. My coworkers look at me like I'm nuts or they assume that it must cost a small fortune to visit "exotic" locations, although I have never spent more than $4k on a 2-3 week trip anywhere.
BTW, $4k IS a small fortune to a lot of people, especially if they have a family to support, which it sounds like you don't. What you spend on a 2-3 week trip, try multiplying that by the number of members in their family.

Old 08-16-2016, 10:44 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,422,361 times
Quote:
I've been all over Europe and East Asia, staying in hostels much of the time...I assume they are just as boring in real life as they are in the office, so they lack the creative thinking required to visit places "outside the box."
I don't think it's necessarily creative to stay in a hostel, sharing a bathroom with dozens of people, and rooming with strangers, just to be able to say they're on vacation.

Most adults with a good job go somewhere they can afford to stay in a decent hotel. Because that is part of the vacation.

Old 08-16-2016, 10:45 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,114,080 times
Quote:
I've worked in several corporate office environments, and when people go on vacation it is almost always one of the following:

1.) Cruises
2.) All-inclusive resort in Cancun or somewhere in the Caribbean
3.) Colorado

I've been all over Europe and East Asia, staying in hostels much of the time. My coworkers look at me like I'm nuts or they assume that it must cost a small fortune to visit "exotic" locations, although I have never spent more than $4k on a 2-3 week trip anywhere.

I assume they are just as boring in real life as they are in the office, so they lack the creative thinking required to visit places "outside the box."
So you posted this just so we can tell you how cool you think you are?

Nah, I'll pass.

Old 08-16-2016, 10:55 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,292,737 times
Quote:
I assume they are just as boring in real life as they are in the office, so they lack the creative thinking required to visit places "outside the box."
A bit judgmental no?

I'm a corporate office type, and I rarely leave my state for vacation. I head to beautiful Northern Michigan a few times a year where I can enjoy the outdoors and nature. Relaxing by a bonfire surrounded by trees, stars, my family, and a cooler stocked with beer is all I need to recharge.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:11 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,885,127 times
On a personal level, I am with you, OP. When I travel, the last thing I want to do is spend all my time at a hotel or on a boat with other people from the same place I just left behind. For me it is all about experiencing a different culture as fully as an outsider possibly can on a brief visit.

But guess what? Cultural exchange is not the primary goal of most people's travel. As someone who has worked in that industry, I can tell you that the vast majority of clients wanted something relaxing. Not relaxing: navigating foreign transit when you don't speak the language, figuring out what to eat when you can't read the menu, doing mental math or pulling out a calculator every time you need to understand the real cost of something in a foreign currency, securing the proper visas, etc. (I think these things are fun, but they certainly aren't relaxing.) On the other hand, relaxing: walking to the provided, English-speaking shuttle while someone else carries your bag, chatting with staff and other guests who all speak your language, laying on the beach while someone brings you as many "free" (included in the cost) drinks as you want. (I think these things sound boring, but they certainly are relaxing).

Also: it's SUPER privileged of you to point out that your exotic trips "only" cost FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS. For the average working American family, spending four thousand dollars on something purely for fun might as well be four billion dollars--it's just completely out of reach. That's roughly 10% of an average household's annual take-home pay. Cruises and all-inclusives appeal to the masses in part because they are relatively inexpensive ways to travel. You can find cheap AI rates starting at around $75 per person per night, which of course covers accommodations, food, drink, and often transportation. Assuming a 5 night stay, which is as long as most Americans are able to get away, that comes to $375. Add in another $350 for an economical flight and you are at $725, or $1,450 for a couple. A cheap 5-night cruise starts around $200 per person, and figure another $250 for a flight to Miami. That's $450 per person, or $900 per couple. The average working family would probably rather go on one $900 vacation every couple of years than stay home and save up for nearly 10 year to afford ONE big vacation.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:11 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,735 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Everyone is very different, consider who specifically you are targeting, as they may have tastes or free perks to do the full tilt vacations.

There is a place for each (thank goodness)

Being gone an entire yr, I am glad I am not spending $6-8k / month

I might need to come back and get a J-O-B maybe a corp job

Retire early, retire often!
Travel as often as you desire / can afford.
& in the manner that best suits you.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:59 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,929,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulGal View Post
On a personal level, I am with you, OP. When I travel, the last thing I want to do is spend all my time at a hotel or on a boat with other people from the same place I just left behind. For me it is all about experiencing a different culture as fully as an outsider possibly can on a brief visit.

But guess what? Cultural exchange is not the primary goal of most people's travel. As someone who has worked in that industry, I can tell you that the vast majority of clients wanted something relaxing. Not relaxing: navigating foreign transit when you don't speak the language, figuring out what to eat when you can't read the menu, doing mental math or pulling out a calculator every time you need to understand the real cost of something in a foreign currency, securing the proper visas, etc..
But that is exactly what pisses me off about Western tourists, particularly Americans. What's the point of going on vacation if you don't do these things? If someone wants to read an English menu and eat a burger, stay home!

Old 08-16-2016, 12:11 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,632,418 times
I have ZERO interest in staying in a hostel. It's either a decent hotel or cabin/cottage with facilities. You vacation how you like to vacation and let others do the same. The world would be so much better off if people worried about themselves and not everyone else.

Old 08-16-2016, 12:13 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,292,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
But that is exactly what pisses me off about Western tourists, particularly Americans. What's the point of going on vacation if you don't do these things? If someone wants to read an English menu and eat a burger, stay home!
Why exactly does this upset you? How does it negatively affect your life? I'd have to imagine the people working in the resorts appreciate their customers providing them with employment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel