Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 10:17 AM

361 posts, read 385,895 times

Advertisements

I agree with DD714 that generally people travel to Africa for different reasons, but obviously I know nothing about the OP.

For a first time trip to the continent I would suggest an overland safari in Tanzania and/or Kenya. Followed up by a relaxing time on the beaches of Dar es Salaam. I spent a few days in Mombasa at a beach resort ..... after a day I was wishing I was still exploring the countryside. IMHO, Dar had more to offer.

Like DD714, I have had a few adventures but everything being equal East Africa offers the best bang for the buck. I have been there 5 times in the past 10 years and it still amazes me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 11:15 AM

2,495 posts, read 1,872,885 times
My vote is for Morocco. Exotic without the feeling of dropping off the end of the earth.

Old 12-28-2016, 11:20 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,150,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
She likes tropical beaches, I like big cities. Looking for somewhat of a mix or at least a way to have both.

Basically we're looking for an African country with an interesting city that would have beautiful beaches, or a country that would have a very interesting city and a beach city within reasonable distance and an ease of travel between. Also not looking for a dangerous destination where we could get our heads chopped off or brought into jail to pay a bribe.

Right now after some searching we've been considering Mombasa, Kenya. Are there other recommendations?
Cape Town. If you're bored, to find the combination of places you seek, do some traveling around Western Cape. Be sure to see Franschhoek for a day trip.

Loved the place, and Western Cape. Didn't have a chance to see Eastern.

Old 12-28-2016, 01:57 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,092,773 times
I think also Tunisia and Algeria are relatively stable countries that have cities and beaches. But are you sure you don't want to try this trip on other continents? Like for example Europe, Asia, Americas, Australia, Antarctic...

Old 12-28-2016, 04:23 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,610,170 times
Another vote for Capetown. And if you skip Johannesburg you won't miss anything.

Old 12-28-2016, 04:30 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
Tunisia has apparently been overrun by the Russian package tours that used to go to the Sinai Red Sea resorts. They're also inside the violence sphere for Islamic extremists.

I've actually heard good things about Angolan beaches; the problem is apparently getting a tourist visa for there. (The ravers were generally there for business and had a day or two free before leaving)

I agree that South Africa/Namibia/Tanzania/Mozambique are probably your best bets if you want more than just to sit on a beach.

Old 12-28-2016, 06:08 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,920 times
If not Africa, You could go to India - Mumbai - a bigggggg city and Goa - for its serene beaches.

Safe places for foreigners. You have to speak English though.

Old 12-28-2016, 06:08 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
I think also Tunisia and Algeria are relatively stable countries that have cities and beaches. But are you sure you don't want to try this trip on other continents? Like for example Europe, Asia, Americas, Australia, Antarctic...

I've been to different South/Central American countries (and lived there), along with Asia and will be going to 3 European countries in 5 months.

We're kind of just trying to think of something different. She said she did not want to go to Northern Africa.

Warm water is a must, so South Africa would probably be out of the picture. Definitely do want to do something safer though, if Africa does turn out to be more dangerous than we might bargain for we will probably end up doing Eastern Asia like Japan or Korea, but then she wouldn't get her tropical beach.

Last edited by intelfan11315; 12-28-2016 at 06:26 PM..

Old 12-28-2016, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
If not Africa, You could go to India - Mumbai - a bigggggg city and Goa - for its serene beaches.

Safe places for foreigners. You have to speak English though.

Been to Mumbai and did enjoy it. Not much interest to go back but it was cool to see!

Old 12-28-2016, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Strange. One does not travel to Africa for beaches or cities. I guess you could - S.A. and North Africa including Egypt have beach resorts popular with Europeans. There are big cities as well on the continent. They are best avoided.
Africa has some beautiful and amazing sites, but your reason to travel there is very strange.

It isn't my reason to travel there. I like cities and very different places. My wife loves tropical beaches.

I'm trying to find a place where I could go in Africa where I could see somewhere new and different, that'd still be relatively safe and also convince my wife that there are beautiful beaches so she'd be on board.

For that reason I was thinking Mombasa, Kenya.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel